? Using freestyle lite test strips with alpha trak 2 meter

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah & Jackie, Nov 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

I read that someone was doing this. Could that person please tell me how you would relate the readings for your cat?

2. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

I've been using them for quite a while. Just consider the numbers the same as you would from AT strips. You can do your own comparisons, but anytime I've compared the AT and the FS strips on the same blood sample, the numbers have been very close. I feel confident using them, but you should do your own comparisons and research, just to be sure.

3. Sarah & Jackie

Sarah & Jackie Member

Are they coded the same way? i.e. do the test strip vials have a coding number? and if so, I would assume the coding # would be for humans. And if that is the case, how do you know what the code would be for cats?

4. Mogmom and Goofus

Mine is set at 38 (I'm at work now, but will double check that number when I get home tonite) and I leave it there. I've done comparison tests on several codes and the closest numbers (tho they're all fairly close) come up at 38. I've bought quite few AT strips, and the code has always been the same on every bottle. I think the code changes if it for a cat or dog. I think. :oops:

5. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

I have found that the code on the strips for cats is either 38 or 93 - do you remember if you tried 93?

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

There are at least 4 different codes for cats on the AT strip vials. I have done extensive research and investigation into the Freestyle vs. AT strips including calls to both the human and animal divisions of Abbott and am 99.9% convinced they are exactly the same strips. Obviously Abbott is not going to admit they are same for financial reasons. The difference is that the strips labeled as AT strips have been batch tested to determine which code on the AT meter will give the most accurate results (closest to animal lab value) and therefore the code can be different for different batches of strips. As long as you leave the AT meter code on one of the AT vial codes for cats, your numbers should be relatively accurate but they will not be as accurate as is possible unless you happen to have the right code for that particular batch of Freestyle strips. I recommend you do your own comparison testing and use the control solution to test each batch of strips if you choose to use the Freestyle strips in the AT meter.

7. Mogmom and Goofus

I'm not sure if I've tried 93 or not, I've tried several tho, so maybe....

8. Mogmom and Goofus

I agree. My husband says that many people will spend a TON of money on their pets, and the companies that manufacture stuff for pets take terrible advantage of US. :rolleyes: The prescription diuretic that I had to buy for a dog I used to have was the EXACT same pill that I take, but it cost 25% more. Makes me so mad. :mad:

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.