Using two steroids at the same time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Linda and Bear Man, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

My civie, Teddy, takes Leukeran and sub Q Dexamethasone for intestinal lymphoma. He was on Leukeran/Pred for five years, but recently upgraded the steroid to Dex due to a couple of bad Pancreatitis flares. His symptoms are now worsening again (poor appetite, diarrhea, a lot of hematochezia). I am wondering if anyone has ever tried using Budesonide at the same time as Dex or Pred? In case his symptoms are more IBD related, and before I move to a more aggressive chemo protocol, I was wondering if the Budesonide might have some more concentrated gut action, while the Dex keeps the pancreas happy and the cancer at bay. I realize that the Dex alone puts him at high risk for development of diabetes. Is adding Budesonide in there just too much steroid? Has anyone ever tried layering them? My vet has not done this before, but has not immediately rejected the idea.

2. Jess & Earl

Jess & Earl Member

I wouldn't

Hi Linda

ANy steroid can cause GI perforations (ulcers) and I would not mix them. The risks of grave injury are too severe, IMO.

3. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

Thank you, Jess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.