? UTI - Alpha Hemolytic Streptococcus?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Melissa and Rascal, Mar 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

Rascal has had on again, off again UTI symptoms for the last several weeks. She has been on a couple different antibiotics, but it was difficult to know what we were dealing with because the first urine culture came back negative. Now we have a positive for alpha hemolytic streptococcus. The vet is putting her on Clavamox. I am reading some conflicting information online about this bacteria - whether it really can cause a UTI, that it can indeed cause all sorts of serious infections depending on where in the body it is, and everything in between. I know very little about it, but I swear Rascal's gums, lips, and paw pads have looked pale and I've wondered if she's anemic. They say her hematocrit is good, but then it looks like this bacteria can destroy hemoglobin. Somewhere I think I read it can affect the liver and raise liver enzymes which she now has too. I think it can be involved in respiratory infections as well, and she has sounded congested for a while now.
    Does anyone know anything about this bacteria? This wasn't really on the radar as I don't believe it is one of the common pathogens that most often causes UTIs.

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

3. Melissa and Rascal

Melissa and Rascal Member

Thank you, Larry! It is weird, isn't it? The vet tech didn't seem to make much of it. I notice this was pasteurella. I think there may be many varieties within the classification of alpha hemolytic strep. I believe it is more a category. I have no idea exactly what kind Rascal would have then. I just hope they are diagnosing and treating her correctly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.