V instead of gentle smile

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Spacey & Ella, Jan 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

I'm not sure what to do.

Any advice on the next dose?
    I know I should stay on the one I give at the moment for settling and so on. But I'm also worried whether I have a rebound on my hands.
    What do you think?

Edit: Forgot to mention that she still has her tooth infection...

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Do you have the u100 syringes yet? I would go back to .8u and let that settle. The PS were lower on that and the nadir about the same (180-ish), so less of a drop and rise.

When is her dental? I do think that will change things, but switching to lantus will make even more of a difference. If you want to take a peek at Beau's numbers, the very top is the last month he was on vetsulin and the the levemir numbers follow. He immediately had better numbers, flatter curve. He pretty quickly was in rebound on lev though so there are some higher numbers until I figured that out. It was such a low dose that it didn't seem possible he was rebounding. Just about the first week of August I started reducing his dose and getting very nice numbers.

I think you will see longer duration and softer curves on lantus.

3. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello....

An observation for you..

Notice how, when you increase a little, the preshots rise, and the dip from preshot to nadir gets steeper?

Your baby is very sensitive to those big drops, reacting, and that is causing those hugh prehsots and more insulin is not going to fix it.

I would seriously consider 0.6 - 0.8 as a dose to stick with.
    0.8 was still giving you that high in the am, so I am wondering about the feeding schedule overnight?

it may help to have some food available overnight, and then you may not end up in the 400s after 0.8, in the morning.

The other way to deal with the quick rise on that dose is to shoot earlier than 12 hours. I have mentioned this before and what it does is keep the overall curve shallower so you avoid the peaks and valleys and then the levels come down in response.

You need to shoot on a rising number that is not a food spike, after about +7, I would consider +8 or +9 if level is above 320.

After the first couple of earlier shots, you may need to drop dose down a bit to 0.6 but have a look at what happens first :)

Does that make sense? How do you feel about that?

Kimmee

it will be easier to make the switch to lantus if you can bring the curve down a bit first, and with the dental coming, keeping it all as calm as possible is a good thing.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Re: V instead of gentle smile-Kimmee

Looks like Kimmee is suggesting a good game plan.

Another thought-Kimmee what about the possibility of dawn phenomenom?

Hang in there, your doing really well, I know how frustrating it can be. :D

5. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Dawn phenomenom is certainly possible, thought I would start with the simple about food and go from there:)

6. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Yes I have the new syringes. :smile:
    Her dental is next Wednesday, the 13th. I so hope she is feeling better after that. Today wasn't a good day for her at all.
    It's so hard to see that without being able to do something. :sad:
    I did look at Beau's SS... Seems that even on caninsulin you had a gentle smile. I'm soooo jealous.

7. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Yep. It's also not the first time I'm seeing this. That's why I posted. I still have no idea what to do, her having this infection and all.

The same as @am. I give some, give the shot and leave food. But somehow the evening numbers are always higher. And they (both cats) really don't eat at night. They sleep. A lot.

I discussed that with my hubby. But he didn't agree at all. He thinks that we will know even less than now.
    And I really, really need him to be involved in all of this. I will have an operation in February and that will leave me in a hospital for at least 5 day's. A lot can happen during those day's. So I need him to learn and care. And that means that sometimes I even have to follow his opinions, even if I don't agree. And then try again to convince him the next day (he is stubborn). If I don't he stops caring all together, cause: 'I'm not listening to him anyway'.
    To make a long story short: I so hope that she has some stability before I'm admitted. :YMSIGH:

8. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

What's that??? Dawn phenomenom?

9. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Body releases more glucose in preparation (energy) for the start of the new day in very basic terms.

http://www.felinediabetes.com/dictionar ... ionary.htm

You could try giving a verra low carb/protein only (ish) snack before bed. I.e fresh boiled chicken. Saying that you don't want kitty to drop low either-this is where having lots of data and knowing your cat can make all the difference.

It is only a thought and there could be other possibilities, ECID

I understand you want/need hubby on side. Your very lucky having a supportive partner and I appreciate that your in this together. Plus, 2 heads at home are better than one (as long as you can get past the stubborness :lol: )

10. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Hmmmm I posted a reply to you Ella, but it is not here.
    What I had said was..

No worries, you have to do what works for all of you, that is why we say every cat is different, every bean too :)
    It is great that you have a partner to work with :) My hubby was also terrific with all of it for Abby.

Dawn Phenomenom is an odd thing, and I am seeing not the same kind of higher levels in the am, when you were at lower doses, only these higher than 0.8 doses so why try go with that small reduction and then revisit if it is still happening?
    Kate has given you good info on it.

Kimmee

11. Yolanda and Goo (GA)

Yolanda and Goo (GA) Member

Hi Ella

at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I'm again going to emphasis the importance of holding at a dose. You really didn't give that 0.8 any time to settle before going to 1u. I used to have a great article about caninsulin use (mostly out of date info now though) that gave one of the key reasons for rebound (other than plain too much insulin) as increasing the dose too frequently. You really do need to sit on your hands with this insulin.

12. Mary and Jolly

Mary and Jolly Member

Hi Ella,
    I'm going to echo what the others are saying about holding a dose. I know it's hard to find patience because you are not seeing immediate results, but sometimes just waiting is the best thing you can do. Spacey does seem to be effected by even small changes. This is not uncommon with this insulin. My vet once told me to hold a dose for 10 days before adjusting the dose. This was very hard for me to do because I wanted to see the results right away. Sure enough my cat needed at least 1 week on a dose before the preshot and nadirs moved to nicer place.
    Needing the dental can also be contributing to the "wonky" numbers. It can only help once that's done.
    You are doing a great job with Spacey. Rememer to take care of yourself too.

13. Spacey & Ella

Spacey & Ella Member

Well, well... broken records all over. :mrgreen:
    I like it though, so many different people can't be wrong.

Anyway, going to the 1. There is where my hubby comes in: "She has high numbers, why aren't you giving more?"
    Okay, I go to 1. And now I tell him that, considering her higher numbers, 1 is probably to high. His response: "I've told you to stay at 0.8".

Spacey is back on 0.8 again. Also I phoned the vet today, ordering a Lantus prescription. I hope all goes well and I can pick up the prescription tomorrow after work. Then Wednesday her dental and the day after I'm starting her on Lantus.
    Till then I'm holding the 0.8.
    Thanks to all of you for your input. :mrgreen:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.