? Vacation Strategy

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by ppp, Dec 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ppp

ppp Member

Someone earlier suggested I check in here for a vacation strategy, as date approaches.

I'll be gone 12/21 - 12/27. Husband will be here & will do best effort, but Tut is not as cooperative with him.

?

This a.m. I finally dragged him out from under the treadmill 1-1/2 hours late for his shot. (He doesn't Routinely do this, but I missed grabbing him before Bob hit the shower. I keep telling him this is a necessary, but not sufficient condition of a looming vet appointment, but apparently he skipped logic class.) Hate to do this because it can (& did today) set off coughing; something to do with his lungs (vet agrees looking less and less like cancer, as time goes on without worse symptoms).

With some misgivings, stayed with the SLGS rec. to reduce by .25 (283 last night was really borderline between 12 & +1). (Since # stayed up all night, looking more like a bounce than [at least entirely] reaction to too much gravy...?)

On this, perhaps today will tell.

2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

There's another thread in Think Tank about this if that's any help.
    We're prisoners here, board at the vet or nothing. :(

3. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

He's really working the juice which is great but can be exhausting for the bean. The 21st is still a long way out for dosing advise. Keep doing what your doing and post for vacation advise 2 days before. As you can see, things can change pretty quickly and Tut seems to be on a mission.

Myagi (GA) and Heidi likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

A 48 regardless of the method for dosing indicates a reduction is needed.

If your DH is going to be in charge while you're gone, do you think Tut will be sufficiently cooperative that you don't need to reduce the dose to keep your kitty safe. Gabby would not let anyone except me test her. Frankly, it was a major accomplishment for my very skilled, specialized cat vet techs who have been cat sitters for me to even give Gabby her shot. She would have taken off their arm if they tried to test. As a result, they had to shoot blind and I had them reduce her dose. You can look at her spreadsheet to see what I did. Would it make sense to put your husband on duty for testing and shooting over the next few days before you leave? (And as long as Tut likes treats, that may be a way to bribe your kitty into being more cooperative.)

5. ppp

ppp Member

Thank you. I had not noticed a "Think Tank" but will find it. I think he would be better with no insulin than at the vet. (It's been 3 weeks since we've been there and he's still going under the bed when either of us takes a shower! )

6. ppp

ppp Member

Thanks.

7. ppp

ppp Member

I've had a cat like that! (My brother called Spud the 'attack cat'.) You remind me how lucky we are. This guy is relatively compliant - until he gets his 'back up'; then he is a large, strong cat.

Yes, Bob is in training! (such a juggle, deciding how much to upset Tut in advance for the sake of things going more smoothly while I'm gone).

Those were the days when he was ravenous and would come at a signal (of course, not really).

Girlie's mom likes this.
  8. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Gabby was as sweet and gentle as could be with me. She did, however, have a typical "tortie" personality and epitomized tortitude. She either liked you or she didn't and she didn't like most people. Fortunately, she would excuse herself from the room if she didn't like someone. She liked people better if they gave her food or treats. In general, I was her person and if anyone else tried to pet her, test her BG, or do anything else to her, if she wasn't in physical contact with me, the hissing started. She was a character. (There's a video of her in my signature.)

9. ppp

ppp Member

And, so pretty. I almost adopted a calico stray, but an adoption place was willing to take her. So, I get the plain 'janes & joes'. Once they got you, they got you no matter how homely (one of my blacks really has the face of a bat).

Girlie's mom likes this.
  10. Noah & me (GA)

This is me NOT stabbing you in the back or judging you. That's a long time without insulin but like always no two cats are the same. For once a saying like that has a real scientific meaning that even vets don't get. How nervous is Noah? We have to sing his name when we come through the door or into the basement he goes so no cat sitter for us. Months ago we almost had to go far away to a funeral that could easily have morphed into a triple funeral so that's where our vet came in and only because we've become more than clients. She had the room (an isolation room with a double wide crate) and the staff knew us but that is part dumb luck.
    As for vacations I sometimes give Marco the boot from my pillow and say "I live here too." We all need one and shouldn't feel guilty.
    This is a stressful job we all have, there's only so much we can do. "You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of a cat" is not advice, it's the law. When we had nine cats and a dog we barely escaped with our sanity, I'm not sure if I would do that again. And if I ever get another cat that lives to 23 that means I'll be 83 when he goes to the vet for the last time.
    Sorry, that was kind of long. I don't have the answers and I'm not in your shoes.
    I get an extra heaping dose of guilt when I'm literally too sick to test and shoot Noah. I certainly did not plan for a life like this. :banghead: :) :coffee:

11. Phoebes (GA)

Phoebes (GA) Well-Known Member

Big hugs

12. Girlie's mom

Girlie's mom Well-Known Member

I like the "Be the person your cat thinks you are" in your signature...

I'm with you there re: the guilt factor. Every night I tell myself that I need to sleep, and every night I get up and test and feed anyway! Not good, not good... It's hard, isn't it? It is indeed...:bighug:

13. ppp

ppp Member

14. ppp

ppp Member

oops... don't think I got my message in... I wanted to say that when I adopted Tut and his litter-mate, I figured these would be the last kittens I would ever have. Cats are lovely. Kittens are enchanting. Cleopatra is a healthy one; if she lives to 23 (though I've never had a cat live that long), I'll be 83. Don't tell my husband, or mother, but I think cats are the best part of my life (diabetes and all).

Dyana, Stacy & Asia and Girlie's mom like this.
  15. Noah & me (GA)

When my Mom was in a hospital very far away for a very simple orthopedic procedure my sisters went full-guilt, working out 24/7 schedules for visiting. My Mom hated it! "Stop hovering over me, I'm not dead yet" "Did you just look at your watch?" I brought her food, books, fluffed her pillows and left, that's what she really wanted.
    So I'm in the elevator and I overhear "Why are we even here". "Guilt...guilt and shame". Everyone laughed a dark laugh, no dirty looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.