? Vaccines

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by TheBowHuntress, Mar 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Call me a horrible Momma, but I didn't give my cats their vaccines this year...no excuses, I just put it off. I give the cats, and the dog, their vaccines each New Year's Eve. Their last vaccinations were 12/31/2011. Their rabies was just given year before last. The cats never go out and are not exposed to any other cats. So, ordering vaccines is on my "to do" list this weekend. Are all the regular vaccinations necessary? Can a sugar cat have adverse reactions, high/low BG's, etc.... from vaccines?

2. mimi4neeyah and Loki

mimi4neeyah and Loki Member

I can only speak for myself. Loki and Etoile go out on the patio in the summer and Miles goes everywhere so I do vaccinate all 3 every year. If they did not go out at all and were never exposed to other cats I probably would not vaccinate them either.

3. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

All 14 of mine are indoor only and have no exposure to the outside world so the only ones they get are rabies since we do get a few misguided bats and garter snakes that get in the house from time to time. If we add to the family then the new member gets everything and the first set of boosters.

Mel, Maxwell, Autumn & The Fur Gang

4. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I no longer vaccinate my cats. They received their kitten shots and yearly shots up until a few years ago and now I don't allow it.

read dr. lisa's take on vaccines and decide for yourself if you want to continue shots or not:

http://www.catinfo.org/?link=vaccines

5. KPassa

KPassa Well-Known Member

My previous two cats were indoor only so they got their kitten rounds and then their "annual shots" maybe every 2-4 years or longer (usually only if I had to take them in for anything else) and I don't even know what those "annual shots" consisted of.

For Mikey and Henry, I used that ^ link to help me determine which shots to get. I did get them most of their kitten shots, but going forward, I'll only probably do the every-other-year rabies vaccine (14 rabid bats in OC last year).

6. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link Hillary. After reading it -- YIKES! :shock: I'm happy I forgot about their shots!!! Never. Again. Period. I guess I was one of the millions of Americans who buys into our pets needing to be annually vaccinated.

7. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

I am glad you read the info on vaccines so you can make an educated decision now if and when you ever want to vaccinate again. And please, send the info on to anyone else willing to listen :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.