? Vanilla ice cream

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by racn1320, Oct 3, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racn1320

racn1320 Member

Is it safe to feed her some? didnt know if it would affect her numbers?

2. G3rtrud3

G3rtrud3 Member

I've read that ice cream isn't the best for cats regardless if they are diabetic or not. Cats are lactose intolerant so its harder for them to disgust ice cream. Giving your kitty a small spoon full every once in a while shouldn't hurt, but you definitely shouldn't give them ice cream often. As if it'll affect her numbers, I'm not quite sure. I'm assuming it might, but once it wears off, their numbers will drop again. As I said, I'm not entirely sure so I bet someone can help me out here :)

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Ice cream will cause the BG to go much higher....it's full of sugar (which is why it's so delicious!)

We've had people use ice cream when their cats were running too low to get them back up.

It's also true about cats being lactose intolerant, so you have to be careful....a lick now and then should be OK, but it's not something you'd want to do very often

4. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I will make a confession here. Mia LOVES ice cream. Any time we have ever eaten any during her lifetime, she has sat there very attentively hoping and waiting for a lick. (We do not eat ice cream all the time, so this is very occasional.) Since she was diagnosed, we had not been letting her have even one lick/drop. Then, fairly recently, I decided to give her a drop of my Halo Top Vanilla Bean. Halo top is sweetened with stevia and erythritol (a sugar alcohol derived from fruit). I had read that both have little-to-no impact on blood sugar levels. I had also read that this is a safer ice cream for diabetic people... something about the protein in it slowing down absorption of any sugars (from carbs). She LOVED it, and I saw no impact on her glucose. Now, let me be clear that the most I have ever given her is maybe three little drops that she licked from my fingers. If I had given her a lot, maybe it would have impacted her glucose... don't know, don't plan to find out.

Veronica & Babu-chiri likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.