Variety brand pates

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by ZulusMom (GA), Sep 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

My husband can't help himself. He has always enjoyed picking up new cat foods for our boys to try. He has finally reconciled the fact he can't buy just anything that strikes his interest anymore now that Zulu is diabetic. But..old habits die hard. I came home from a long weekend to find a dozen Variety brand "grain free" pates with names like Grandma's Casserole in the cabinet. At least they're pate but they're not on the list. I emailed the company but has anyone bought this food before and knows the carb content of their recipes?

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

3. Wesley and Spicoli

Wesley and Spicoli Member

If I were you wanting to calculate carbs, I'd call the company and ask for the Typical Nutrient Analysis, and not go by the guaranteed.

4. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

Thanks - I've asked them for the "as fed" values since the web site only has guaranteed.

5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Look at the ingredient list. If there are no starches, such as potatoes, peas, tapioca or grains in the first five ingredients, it's probably ok. If there are starches, it may still be ok, but I'd wait for the company info. If you get the As Fed numbers, please post them, we're always looking for new food choices.

6. ZulusMom (GA)

ZulusMom (GA) Member

I heard back from someone at Variety brand pet foods (listed as Perfection Pet Foods in his signature?). The As Fed numbers for their cat food pates are:

Mom's Turkey Dinner 3oz cat can: As Fed Basis, %
    Moisture: 80.27
    Protein: 10.16
    Fat: 5.12
    Fiber: 0.28
    Ash: 1.88

Savannah Chicken Crockpot 3 oz cat can: As Fed Basis, %
    Moisture: 75.6
    Protein: 11.3
    Fat: 9.88
    Fiber: 0.2
    Ash: 2.17

Grandma's Beef Casserole 3oz cat can: As Fed Basis, %
    Moisture: 75.3
    Protein: 11.75
    Fat: 10.15
    Fiber: 0.2
    Ash: 1.87

I calculated out the dry matter carbohydrate content using http://www.diabeticcatinternational.com/knowledge/calculating-carbs/ and came up with the following numbers:
    Mom's Turkey Dinner: 11.6 (yikes!)
    Savannah Chicken Crockpot: 3.48
    Grandma's Beef Casserole: 2.95

Two out of three - not bad!

Sylvie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.