? Vegetable 11/3 AMPS 328 +5 349 Dosing Question

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Vegetable (GA), Nov 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

Vegetable has pink eye :( She's on antibiotics now but her BS is high. I was wondering if it's ok to do a dose increase tonight even though she is not completely finished her last cycle (5th cycle this morning) with a dose increase?

Yesterday Vegetables blood sugar jumped from 167 at AMPS to 418 at +7 then up to 553 at PMPS. I started a fresh pen of lantus this morning just in case the old one was losing it's effectiveness since I've been using it since August.

Anything I should be on look out for other then ketones? I'm going to try and get a ketone test in later this afternoon. Veg has been eating the same but I did notice she has been drinking a bit more, I assume this is because of the higher BS. Her eyes look much better this afternoon then they did last night, not as runny or puffy so that is some good news.

2. Anne & Hyde (GA)

Anne & Hyde (GA) Well-Known Member

I know that some antibiotics should not be used in a diabetic because they have sugar in them. What is she taking? I don't remember which ones are bad but someone else will.

3. Vegetable (GA)

Vegetable (GA) Member

I can't remember the name right now, her prescription is at home and I'm at work. The vet does know she is diabetic and I reminded him of that when we saw him late last night.

4. Tara & Ivana (GA)

Tara & Ivana (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor lil Vegetable, hope that eye clears up soon.

5. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Could be the distress (inflammation/infection) of the pink eye (conjunctivitis?) jumping her numbers up; could be the antibiotic. That sure was a sudden change. Hope her eye clears up quickly and all returns to normal.

Good for you on checking ketones.

Marilyn and Polly

6. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

I think you've got a couple of possibilities for the high numbers.

Could be a bounce from the blues yesterday morning - and she could've been in lower numbers in the wee morning hours before that.
    Could be sugar in her meds - if it's a liquid, i'd be especially suspicious. Liquids are often sweetened
    Could be New Dose Wonkiness - you increased her dose yesterday morning and sometimes cats are high for a day or so after the dose is increased. There's a link about NDW in the New to the Group? sticky near the bottom of the page.

Could be all of those things, or some combination of them.

I think I would try to get some night cycle tests in before I did anything else with the dose. It's possible she's getting some lower numbers then - that's what I'd suspect. I'd also call the pharmacy that you got the prescription from and ask them if there is any sweetener in the meds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.