Very afraid

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by pat121, Mar 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pat121

pat121 Member

Beauregard went back to check his diabetes, and that is the least of our worries. He's responding to insulin, but he may have been exposed (a decade ago) to AIDS or FLP/FIP (can't remember the name). He has fatty liver disease, and white/red blood cells are elevated and the other one is too low. Just lots of issues right now. Vet said he is a very very sick cat, and there is a chance I could lose him. Please include my baby in your prayers.

Will probably not be on here for a bit. Just need to get this crying out of my system. And then send up prayers myself

2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Sending prayers for you and sweet Beauregard:bighug::bighug::bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  3. Madeline528

Madeline528 Member

Prayers & positive thoughts for Beauregard:bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  4. Lily-Fish

Lily-Fish Member

Thinking of you and yours and sending lots of positive thoughts into the ether for your beautiful Beauregard *hugs* :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and positive energy for you and Beauregard :bighug: :bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Prayers on their way for Beauregard and :bighug:s for you.

Mogs

pat121 likes this.
  7. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Praying for your baby.

pat121 likes this.
  8. Mogmom and Goofus

Mogmom and Goofus Well-Known Member

Having just lost one of my furbabies, I can understand your fear. I hope and pray it all turns out well. :bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  9. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

Sending prayers and healing vibes to you and your sweet Beauregard. (((Hugs)))

Lucy :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  10. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

Please may all be well for your dear Beauregard.:bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  11. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Oh Pat, I am so sorry to hear this...you were just getting the ball rolling with the diabetes treatment and now this. I am shocked and saddened to hear about these other issues you and Beauregard are now facing. Please let us know how he is doing and hang in there...

Hugs to you :bighug::bighug::bighug::bighug: and prayers+healing wishes for your kitty.

Dawn

12. pat121

pat121 Member

I have been going between crying and praying/manifesting all day. I'm sad and worried, BUT I am hoping whatever the pathologist finds is not terminal. He is such a perfect little sweetie, and he deserves a long and healthy life. He will get anything money can buy, and I hope that's all that's necessary I will know later tonite when I pick him up, but may not get on here until tomorrow, when he naps. Tonite, the bed and Mom are all his.

He is responding to the insulin. The Vet was quite happy with that. it's just those blood things.

13. Critter Mom

Prayers continuing.

:bighug:

Mogs

pat121 likes this.
  14. Tuxedo Mom

:bighug::bighug:

More prayers being sent!

pat121 likes this.
  15. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Prayers and hugs:bighug::bighug::bighug:

pat121 likes this.
  16. Liz & IttyBit

Liz & IttyBit Member

Sending positive thoughts for a good report from the pathologist.

pat121 likes this.
  17. Yvette10

Yvette10 Member

:bighug: Sending positive thoughts your way!

18. pat121

pat121 Member

Got him home and not soon enough!!! He is licking his wound where he had the IV, and his sugars are down to slightly over 100. We won't know the other for a few days, BUT he is much brighter. I was told to bring him back in a few days, but I pick Friday. It may mean another check on Saturday, but that's fine. I choose not to wait until Friday.

Now a nice Cosmo for Mom and food for him. He could not wait to use his litter box and have some water

Critter Mom likes this.
  19. Tuxedo Mom

Do glad to see that you got him back home where he can feel comfortable (and so can you). You have earned your Cosmo (or two) and he has earned a well deserved meal in the comfort at home.

Prayers for good results :bighug:

20. pat121

pat121 Member

Well, he just barfed all over my rug. I would hope it's just the IV fluids. He doesn't seem to want to be with me, and maybe it's just wanting to be nearer his water. I won't push it, but I doubt I will sleep until I know he's settled down and OK. At least he's at home, with velvet furniture. lol Ah, as I type, going to bedroom I hope. I keep baskets under the beds in there, and he feels safe there.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  21. Tuxedo Mom

Hopefully this is just from stress from the time at the vets. With fatty liver disease he should be eating numerous small meals through the day...except during the 2 hours before test time.

Sending healing vines for Beauregard and :bighug: :bighug: for you.

pat121 likes this.
  22. pat121

pat121 Member

I hope that is exactly what is happening, Mary Ann. The vomit was very brown, and hoping it is "just" an empty tummy and all that IV fluid. It was also all day in a room with dogs barking, I'm sure. And the Vet testing him every two hours after the transfusion. And, a transfusion. He is n ow on "his" chair, which is velvet and not comfy, but he loves it. I can hear him purring/snoring now from my office. I will keep it quiet, and dark, and let him rest and just know he's loved. I will leave down a little wet food, but pick the rest up (Vet said nothing about this). Hopefully, I will give him insulin in the morning after a little food. No insulin tonite (per Vet). Right now, I can sit on the floor, talk to him, get him to eat a little before insulin. And then tomorrow, after I get more food (held off to see waht Vet said, and forgot to get food there) and vodka (only had enough for one drink), I am going to stock up on that too. Right now, I need taht. lol

23. Carol & Murphy (GA)

Carol & Murphy (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great plan all the way around - high hopes for a great day for you both tomorrow

pat121 likes this.
  24. jayla-n-Drevon

jayla-n-Drevon Well-Known Member

25. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I'd like to send some good new/bad news. FIV (Feline immunodeficiency virus) is similar to human AIDs and FeLk (feline leukemia, which is not the blood cancer leukemia, though it was named this because apparently many cats would eventually develop leukemia). I have a lot of experience in both of these. For many years I only took in FeLeuk cats and most of them lived normal healthy lives. At the times, FIV was considered a death sentence, though many shelters and rescues have now revised their opinions of it. I currently have two healthy, active FIV cats.

The Fiv/FeLk test is usually a combo blood test that will tell you the results for these two viral diseases. If your vet hasn't already done it, please consider getting this done. If they have the SNAP version it can be done in about 15 minutes at the vets office. It can be pricey though ($70 and up). It can usually be done much cheaper as part of a blood panel that is sent out (I get my entire CBC, Chem and T4 panels with the FIV/FeLk test done for $130).

FIP (feline infectious peritonitis) is also viral and sometimes called feline coronavirus. Some people believe it can be tested for using the dog parvo test. I have found these tests to sadly be very accurate. This disease is incurable, fatal and very infectious. If it gets into your home, it takes time and lots of bleach cleaning to make the home safe again. Our rescue rule is no fosters for 1 year after the house has been sanitized.

Lets hope Beauregard only has FIV or FeLeuk or neither. I can't comment on the other issues as I have no experience with them. I'd keep up the hope.

Anyone have any idea if fluids would help Beauregard?

Prayers and hugs:

Pepper, Sparkle +12

pat121 and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  26. jayla-n-Drevon

Well the cat is out of the bag :)
    I think most know I am a fan of fluids and I had a FIV kitty myself.
    on several occasions fluids literally brought him back to wellness.
    Unless the cat has heart issues or anything that would suggest not doing fluids I would be giving fluids.
    Wise to check with your vet and if you decide to give fluids many here can help you get started. It is very doable :)

pat121, Gill & George and Sparkle like this.
  27. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

I too am a huge fan of fluids as I feel they can flush the system. I tend to give small amounts 40-50cc's if it is just "helping along" that I am looking for. True dehydration, I might do small doses in multiple areas as I think it aides in absorption and doesn't make kitty fall over. :) Any sick kitty gets "tenting" tests often. Dehydration can make you feel really crummy. Sparkle loves getting fluids. He purrs the whole time. I like to think that he recognizes that he feels better after getting a bit of watering from Mom. You know, as much as Sparkle has been laying around lately and green, maybe I should look that he hasn't become a house plant...

28. jayla-n-Drevon

So funny
    Dre went on his throne where he gets fluids today and just kept looking at the fluids
    Looking at me
    Looking at the fluids
    Lol
    Oh they have us trained !!
    Fluids brought my FIV kitty back many times hence his name was Lazarus :)

29. pat121

pat121 Member

He got every test known to mankind, and the pathologist will give us the results. He is not wanting to eat huge amounts this morning, but ate some. We sat on the mat while I rubbed him, and talked to him, and between loving, he nibbled. I will try to give insulin shortly. He was sitting there waiting for the vet tech to come and poke him, but she gives him TONS of loving afterward, and he really loves her.

I hope that FIP thing was not lingering. Vet says it's possible, and when his immune system (I think I'm repeating myself again) got compromised, that could have sprung forth. I'm not sure all that we included in tests yesterday, but will was $400 again, and that's what it was last week also. BUT if those tests give us a clue as to what is going on, then it's worth it.

He has been drinking and drinking (head almost laying inside his water bowl) this morning. Vet said with this fatty liver disease, it could take 5-6 weeks. Or maybe that's the anemia. Just so much going on with him, I am confused on what's what, other than he needs to eat, and if he shows signs of wobbling or confusion, or the gums get really white, I bring him in.

I will read the other posts later. I have a second cat who's wanting Beau's food. I hate pushing him away (and he has his own FF, and he weighs 22 lb., so he's not starving. He just sees Beau getting lots of extra love, and he wants some. Usually he realized I'm free about 3:30am and comes to the bed for his love, if not already beside me, and then he wakes me up to love on him.

Again, sorry to ramble and have diarrhea of the fingers, but when nervous, I do tend to type and talk quite a bit.

Sparkle likes this.
  30. pat121

pat121 Member

When you say "give fluids", you are talking about injections? I know they gave him some at the Vet the last time, and he had a "bump" where they had been given. Unless his barfing last nite is cause for worry, we won't go back until tomorrow. If it's too soon to tell anything, then back Sunday or Monday (depending on if this Vet is there, although I think if need be, any Vet will do.

He sat at his window (I actually purchased this house because living room has windows all the way down to the floor, and he can no longer jump) for a bit, and is now in his basket at my feet. I will give insulin in a few. I think he's nibbled enough, and since he got none last nite, I won't worry about him crashing at this point. Vet said to stop testing for a bit.

31. jayla-n-Drevon

Yes... they call is subcutanious/SQ fluids--it just means it is just under the skin not in the vein --
    The body will use them as needed --it is mazing what water will do for a kitty-
    my Rico is going on 6 years of fluids-he will be 17 this summer :cat:

pat121 and Sparkle like this.
  32. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

OK, I'm confused, why would you not test? How would you know if it is safe to shoot?

Sub q fluids can be given by syringe, though I use an IV line set and a 1000 ml bag of lactated ringers. The fluid is still given under the skin, not intravenously, so yeah, you get the bump. Vets can do the fluids in the vein, but only when it is needed in a hurry of for an emergency. You can do sub q fluids at home. It is best to get the fluids from a pharmacy with a prescription (you have t buy a case, usually 12 1000ml bags, though there are actually 500 and 250 ml bags, which I actually prefer because there is less waste.. once a bag is opened and tapped it needs to be used or thrown out. It can't be stored for later.). Someone recently posted a great price at Walgreen's using a discount card (free online, there are tons of them). I buy the lines set for $3 each from my vet and also the needles. I use the 18 gauge because it goes faster. They look huge, but it doesn't seem to bother most cats, especially if you use a new needle frequently. There is lots of infor on giving sub q fluids out there/ I'd be doing it if he is having that much thirst. It will help him feel better and get the fluids in that he needs.

I'm also not getting how a vet can determine that a cat had an exposure to FIP without having the disease. Are you sure he said FIP? You need to know if Beauregard tested positive for FIV or FeLeuk as it is very important to know that and let any vet know it too.

Sounds like you have a lot going on, I feel for you and B too. You sound slike a great Cat Mom.

Pepper + Sparkle + 12

pat121 likes this.
  33. pat121

pat121 Member

Thanks so much for the compliment.

At the farm where I rescued him (and his nephew), a litter or more of cats had FIP. This has been about 10 years ago or so, and he was inside/outside then. A tech with my Vet was nursing them until I could do it, and in that span of time, they discovered the FIP. Beau has been "mothering" them some inside, and of course, was outside with all the cats. When we realized the kittens likely had FIP, they were all euthanized, and Beau became an indoor only kitty. I am not sure the kitties were tested, but one of them got that totally gaunt look, and the Vet told the tech that was what the kitten likely had. I had another kitten from outside I ws also going to adopt, but the Vet told me to be safe, leave the little kitty outside so mine would be safe.

He ate a little today and drank a lot. Vet said it was OK not to test, because his sugars had been so high. I am listening to him for now, BUT should there be any issues, I will return to testing twice a day, every day.

34. pat121

pat121 Member

I will listen to the Vet, but I have shared stuff with him from the boards. I know doctors really do not like being second-guessed, but I do recall one of my Mom's physicians giving Mom a med that was questionable. When I mentioned it, he mentioned (probably another repeat here) that I wove baskets and he ran the most prestigious clinic in Richmond. I mentioned that the Harvard Medical Journal just stated NOT to use the two drugs simultaneously and the results from doing so. I mentioned to the prestigious "arsewipe), right before he was fired, that I had time to read medical journals (also read the New England one), and that he didn't seem too interested in anything but making money. Guess two hours of sleep a night make you slightly cranky.

At any rate, rambling, I trust doctors to a point, BUT experience rules, and when you have a baby 24/7 as compared to what you have read and experienced maybe once a week, you listen to the people who deal with this daily, and maybe even take their suggestions. I'm venting some, but I do get annoyed with medical professionals on occasion.

35. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

I disagree with not testing. One thing I noticed with Witn was that after she had fluids, her BG levels were usually to low to shoot when the next time insulin is due. To me, it would be critical to always test, especially after fluids are given.

36. jayla-n-Drevon

I agree... Testing is always important pre shot and especially when fluids are being given. Some cats will go lower when given fluids and some don't.
    My guy has no difference regardless of when I give the fluids but I sill try to space it out and inject the insulin in a different place so it will not be diluted.
    I have come to learn the way he responds today could be different than tomorrow... never a dull moment:rolleyes:

Jeanne & Dottie and pat121 like this.
  37. Critter Mom

That can be a sign of nausea. For handy reference, there's a very good page from Tanya's Site that covers nausea symptoms and treatments for same here.

I also disagree strongly with this. I think it is probably more vital to test when a cat is under the weather and where there are a lot of variables in the mix (e.g. poor appetite). Variables will affect response to a given dose and cats' blood glucose levels are far from static.

If they really know their stuff then second-guessing should not arise. Besides, medicine - whether human or veterinary - is both an art and a science. Working in harmony with the patient and the patient's caregiver(s) is, IMO, far more likely to yield the best results for the patient. I don't have much time for dictatorial types.

Mogs

Bobbie And Bubba and pat121 like this.
  38. pat121

pat121 Member

I will likely talk to him tomorrow about testing. Both tech and Vet said last nite (per second tech) that I shold not worry about sugars right now, but I do, and will likely have the gals back here to show me, and I will take it from there.

I am grasping at straws, I know, but just got back from groceries and this is the first time in a week that he has come to meet me. Not running, mind you, but he came to see waht I had. I took out a bank loan, and then purchased 10 cans of FF. lol BUT, he's eating and that's good.

39. jayla-n-Drevon

walgreens is 80$ a case of 12--1000 ml (we go thru a bag a week with my 2)
    freezing the needle helps dull the insertion for sensitive kittys :)

40. Squalliesmom

I don't understand why your vet (or any vet, ever, for that matter :mad:) said not to test. At best, it can save your kitty's life; at worst, it can do no harm. So why not be safe, and test?!? I don't get it! o_O

Your Beauregard is such a handsome boy! Reminds me a lot of my civvie Vinnie. More prayers and healing vines coming your way, hoping all goes well! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

41. pat121

pat121 Member

He won't eat this morning. Or drink. I am trying to coax him, but no success. He just sit and stared at litter box. I cleaned it totally out and now he's in there. I will wait another 1/2 hour until Vet office opens and keep trying and then hopefully, they can take us. Fatty liver disease requires that he eats.

42. pat121

pat121 Member

Maybe because of all he went thru yesterday? I am due to go back in this afternoon He said if Beau eats, give insulin; if not, none.

43. Squalliesmom

I'm so sorry you are having such troubles, I am having problems with mine not eating, too, but at least I don't (yet) have the added concern of hepatic lipidosis. I hope you can an appointment with your vet today. :bighug:
    Maybe, but honestly, I would rather add a bit more stress, if necessary, to make sure I'm not endangering my kitty when I give him insulin, rather than run the risk of a hypo, which can potentially be fatal.

Prayers and healing vibes for Beauregard, (((hugs))) and strength for his Mom! :bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Please keep us posted!

Jeanne & Dottie and pat121 like this.
  44. pat121

pat121 Member

I am going to ask the Tech when she calls to schedule this weekend, and see if we can begin training me. Mornings are not good at all for me, so mornings will be her and I will watch. Evenings I'm at least awake, and will begin to try it myself.

He is spending the day with the Vet today. He will get fluids and the Vet will see if they can make him eat. His fave tech is on duty today, and Beau just adores her, so I'm hoping she gets assigned to him. Vet will run tests all day long so see if the "icky something" is better, but I was told taht his "numbers" should be 40 and they are 18, BUT better than Wednesday when they were around 10. Some improvement.

I won't allow him to suffer just so I can have him near me, but I won't give up because of a few hundred dollars either. He's worth it.

Lily-Fish likes this.
  45. Critter Mom

With HL in the mix I would ask the vet about giving Beau a feeding tube. They can be life savers in situations like this. If it is an option the sooner the tube can be put in the better since the longer Beau goes without grub the weaker he is likely to become. If there are a lot of toxins in Beau's system he may be quite nauseated. The fluids should hopefully help with that. Ondansetron is a very good treatment for nausea but I don't know whether it can be given if the liver is badly compromised. I suggest asking your vet about it to see whether it might be a help. Be sure to ask the vet about Beau's ketone levels, too. Very important to keep an eye on these and also to ensure that Beau is getting enough insulin - the vet may be able to run sugars through the IV to allow for safe insulin administration (not sure if it's dextrose or glucose that's used).

Sending prayers for Beau to start eating again today. It's good to hear that he has such a good relationship with the vet tech.

Mogs

Jeanne & Dottie likes this.
  46. pat121

pat121 Member

I am not letting him go without a fight, but, again, if he is suffering, that's not fair. I will see when I pick him up tonite if things have improved, and he may be spending time in the emergency clinic if need be. I hope he will just eat, but tummy could have been upset. I just don't know. I like that those numbers (I think for anemia) are improving, and I think I remember that there's not as much yellow in the blood test thing, but right now, I'm a zombie and some things don't register.

47. Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA)

Dawn and Peek-a-Boo (GA) Member

Sending prayers and healing vines for Beauregard...let us know when he gets back home to mom. You are doing the best you can, Pat. :bighug::bighug:
    Dawn

pat121 likes this.
  48. pat121

pat121 Member

Yes I am, Dawn. And trying not to blame myself for just not noticing all of this when he was my shadow and begging to eat and i would not feed him. They wanted him to lsoe weight so this wold not happen, and he wanted to eat all the time, all th time, all the time. I kept fussing at him and would tell him he needs to lose weight, and just didn't notice he HAD lost dramatic weight. And I was just nervous getting out here (new city) and getting lost or having an accident (had not driven at all in 2 years befor e moving here. Just lots of excuses, but I hope all goes well.

The feeding tube sounds annoying, but doable. And I am thinking I can have the gals still come twice a day until he begins to eat on his own, and until I figure out how to test his paw/ear, and until I can just handle all of this on my own. Money was meant to be spent, and waht better way to spend it than hanging on to my baby bunches longer.

49. pat121

pat121 Member

Beau's sugars (no insulin/food last nite or this morning) are at 480, so insulin and an antibiotic for hemoplasma (something like that, but i will google it later).

He is sick and suffering according to the doctor, but not enough that we need to give up yet. He will be on syringe food for a while. Monday I will bring him back and he will get fluids all day long. He says in 6 weeks, we will see signs of him getting better, or going down, and if he's going down, we just need to release him. So I have 6 weeks of praying and spoiling and making sure he gets all he needs and hope he improves.

I go in about an hour and half to get him. Vet will show me how to do the catheter, and I just need to pay attention and master this. Thank you again, God, for vodka and Vet techs to back me up.

50. jayla-n-Drevon

1 of the vets I consulted with who deals with LOTS of FD told me to leave him alone -said "his poor ears" First of all his ears are perfect! and more importantly I have caught some very low numbers-
    Clearly I dod not take her advice--she told me to "simplify my life and stop stressing him"
    We never consulted again:confused:

51. pat121

pat121 Member

If I am repeating, apologies. I am going to have Vet techs come next week and I WILL learn to test. I'm not happy with not testing, even tho' his sugars are so very high right now. I may need help with all that's happening with the syringe feeding and giving fluids, so big girl panties will go on next week and I will have them teach me and allow me to do it.

52. jayla-n-Drevon

53. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

You know what?o_O There's an old saying..."Can't help...Can't hurt."..If you are ambivalent about testing...it can't hurt to do it, and I think you will find it's going to help you get a better handle on your kitty. Doctors and vets are frequently pi**y about someone questioning them, and will frequently cite their diplomas as evidence that they are godlike, and getting into a pi**ing contest with them is counterproductive, since they have trained themselves to Tune You Out.

But possessing a diploma doesn't automatically confer on anyone, the gift of plain old, Common Sense. I have known professionals who can dance rings around me with all their 'book learning'...but in real life, they founder when it comes to thinking logically about mundane matters. Their personal lives are in tatters because they didn't excercise good judgement.

Test.

54. pat121

pat121 Member

Last nite, when we got home (think this isn't a repeat), we ran again for water, the litter box, water and another rug to puke on. I now have a matching set of pukey rugs. lol He wanted to be left alone, and so I did just that. I checked on him off and on, but he was in his fave basket, purring and sleeping, and I thought best to just leave him alone.

This morning Patches woke me at 5:45 (ready to kill him!!) and Beau wasn't far behind. For the first time in months and months, he wanted under the covers with me, curled up at my feet. Patches decided to make us an oreo cookie, and curled up on the other side. I ws late with feeding/insulin, but I made the executive decision to just stay there until 7:30 or so An hour late, but I think an hour well spent.

He is NOT great about the feeding, but I think I wasn't getting food out (just my second try at this), and maybe just air and that nipple thing. When I rubbed him more, and instead of saying "no, no, no", I said "good boy; I love you", our attitudes both changed. I tried to get rid of the frustration. He got curled up in my lap on the floor, hugged and squeezed and kissed and rubbed, and then we tried again. The antibiotic was NOT a success, so I think that might come at the end of the feeding. I got the required "4" down him, and when done, he decided taht was a good spot to remain, and didn't run. He looks perkier, but still wo't eat on his own. He smells the FF in his bowl, but no go. The syringe, though, after I finally got it figured out how best to do it, was a breeze. I am going to watch more videos today and see how others do it. I also like their hints for success.

So today, I think we are beginning our success story. I hope.

55. pat121

pat121 Member

Baby steps and she still grabs at straws. Beau barfed on a second rug last nite, and I have not shampooed either yet. He wants to lay on them, so when I take them up to shampoo, then he has bare floor. I digress.

He just got out from under this bed and was laying on his rug from last nite's barf. I put down some nice warm FF, but no thanks. I got a placemat from the table, put that down and then his plate. YES. He ate on his own (just a little, but I take anything). I will still syringe feet until he goes to how bowl and cleans it out, or at least eats a little more aggressively, but this is the first time in a few days taht we've been able to get him to volunteer to eat. Grateful

56. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

You're doing great, Pat :p Careful or you'll turn your day/night hours upside down, and become a vampire, like me. Without the fangs and black cape, of course.:nailbiting: No, I DO NOT WANT to drink your blood, just stick a drop in my glucometer, :cool:Mmwhahahaha!

Critter Mom likes this.
  57. pat121

pat121 Member

Yah!!! I was too late for His Highness this morning. I took a potty break and he was sitting there waiting to lead me to the kitchen, which is our routine. He has to show me the way so he can be fed!!! I heated up FF for the other can, and Beau, so we would be left alone while I ws feeding him. Nope, to slow, so he began eating the FF left for the other cat while I was mixing up his. Success! No, we are not "there" yet, but at least moving in that direction. I still syringe fed him, but insulin was about 11 min. late because I was sitting there praising him for eating the FF, but I think time well spent. I need to make sure he's going to the potty. I can't tell who went during the night, but there was something in there. I notice that he stands outside the litter box looking at it quite a lot, so need to make sure he's eliminating. Not sure if it matters, but a nice clean litter box later today with fresh litter. Just need to make a run to the store for a huge box to fill it up.

Liz & IttyBit and Squalliesmom like this.
  58. Critter Mom

Absolutely! Keep it up, Beau. :)

Mogs

pat121 likes this.
  59. Squalliesmom

How wonderful to see him eat something on his own again! Fingers and paws crossed that he continues to improve, and eats a little more each day!!! :):):) Pat, you are a great kitty mom, you're doing a fantastic job! :bighug::bighug::bighug:

60. pat121

pat121 Member

For the second time today, His Highness has come for his warmed FF and eaten it on his own. I was on my way to dump litter box and bring in new, clean one, and he heard me. He used to check every time I ws messing with HIS box, but not since he has been not feeling good. He came out and noticed two in the hall, and one that was empty. He decided on the one going out the door, and left me a little present. He's not eating enough that I worry about him gaining quickly, but enough that I feel relieved that he's eating without a syringe Syringe feeding will continue until Vet said to stop. Tomorrow, a day at the "spa" with fluid treatment again.

61. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Yeah for eating on his own. Keep it up Beau.

Critter Mom, Squalliesmom and pat121 like this.
  62. pat121

pat121 Member

He is!! I am so darn happy. I know he's not out of the woods, and we have a long struggle, but this is the third time he's come for food today. I don't give him much, and he eats only about a teaspoonful, but it's encouraging. Can't wait to see wht the Vet thinks tomorrow

63. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

That is great news.

64. pat121

pat121 Member

His Highness was up at 12:30am and I may have heard him potty, but I woke up. He was hungry. He ate a little, and then a little more, and then a little more, and then some Greenies. He seems to like to lay at his water bowl these days, so I left him there, calling him to come to bed with me, but he prefers his favorite little basket, all to himself, quiet and dark. Took him to the Vet a little while ago and his girlfriend was ecstatic taht he was eating on his own. Now Mom just needs to learn how to test him, and we're going to be just fine. She says.

Liz & IttyBit, Dyana and Squalliesmom like this.
  65. Squalliesmom

That is wonderful news! :D Hooray for Beauregard!!! And don't worry, Mom, you will do just fine learning to home test! :):):)

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  66. pat121

pat121 Member

I think it will be his paw. We will figure it out.

Squalliesmom and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  67. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

Sounds like Beau is coming around. The more you keep trying the better. The first time you'll get that drop of blood and be so excited you forget to get it in the meter and the cat will shake and it's gone. Don't laugh happened to me.

68. pat121

pat121 Member

I just about splilt open when he went to his bowl to eat because I ws not fast enugh. That gives me hope (and not typing today wel)

Yep, I think when he and I sit here, and we get that little tiny speck of blood, it will be wonderful. Then, I guess, he can have a little to recover from that before h is meds come. Hopefully at that point, he will be totally eating on his own.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  69. Critter Mom

Watch Beau when he's eating to see if he has any nausea symptoms. Symptom checker and treatments here.

Also be sure to check his urine regularly for ketones.

Mogs

70. pat121

pat121 Member

Not sure how to check urine. I am getting his girls back this week to check BS. His sugars were close to 400 yesterday, and with all the food he's getting right now, I have a feeling he won't go but so low. He is eating on his own (thank you God) pretty much all the time, but I'm feeding him every two hours. The fatty liver disease and hemoplasma possible exposue thing (FLP?) is our main concern right now. Antibiotics for that possible exposure 10 years or so ago, and his anemia and the fatty liver have kinda bumped the diabetes into the "not as concerned" area, but I really am concerned about it all. BUT, going without much sleep and trying to get him to eat on his own, but getting food into his little body to save his life, I'm just not sure much else can go into my head.

I will, however, get these gals to come in nightly, check his BS, attempt to show me how to do it.

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  71. Mogmom and Goofus

Hey Pat, just when we think our head is FULL, magic happens and another tiny space opens up for more! Lol. I haven't been around much as I've had a lot of family stuff going on, so I haven't read all of the posts regarding Beau, but it sounds like you have your hands full. Try to get some rest and find some comfort in knowing that you're doing all you can. :bighug::bighug::bighug:

Squalliesmom and Critter Mom like this.
  72. pat121

pat121 Member

Hi, Tammy. I'm new here. About 2 weeks ago, he was diagnosed with diabetes. He was on a diet to reduce (so as to avoid all of these issues), and he was reducing. I just moved, and had not driven in 2 years, so I ws a little afraid/worried about venturing out in a new city. AND, I really thought it was good that he was reducing, until one day I just realized h is little body was WAY small (2 lb. in a month weight loss) and off we went. The fatty liver did not show up the first time, but I guess he was't eating (I have another cat, 22 lb. and he apparetly was eating all of Beau' s food (sorry, typig off today).

I am now syringe feeding him every few hours if he won't eat on his own. His anemia seems to be improving. His sugars are still around 400 and I am not testing (have not learned how yet and frankly, just overwhelmed with it all).

Took a break to check on him, and no clue what I was about to say, to time to stop typing.

Squalliesmom likes this.
  73. Mogmom and Goofus

I understand, virtually everyone on this board had felt the way you feel right now! We've all been there, so you're in good company. ;) The diabetes is hard enough, but when you add in other health issues, it's much harder. But, if you have a good vet and aren't afraid to do what needs to be done, you've got half the battle taken care of. I know the cost is also a factor, but the people here have lots of money saving tips!

If I were you, I'd make it a point to learn home testing ASAP! First, the money saving will be huge. Second, and even more importantly, you'll feel SO MUCH more confident about the whole thing. It'll give you a sense of confidence that you're going to need to survive this. The first time you test successfully on your own, you'll be amazed at how strong you feel.

For syringe feeding, you might try the canned Hills a/d from the vet. It's packed with calories and being mostly organ meat, will help with anemia. Also, I don't think the carbs are too bad. I mixed it with a little fairly warm water to make it easier to feed thru a syringe. I had a couple of fatso's too, since stopping the free feeding, they've both trimmed down nicely. :cat:

pat121 likes this.
  74. pat121

pat121 Member

I forgot to get food yesterday. I have one can left of the Vet food. It mixes with water VERY well (once it's cold) for the syringe, but he won't eat it by himself. I guess he associates that with unpleasantness, so off this morning for more FF, which he will eat on his own. I am going to begin his Vet techs coming again (like tomorrow. I REALLY REALLY need a day with no drama or people). I do know testing is important for him, and I don't give myself insulin without testing (except when I've gone a few days without it, and know I need it).

I do know I'm not alone. Questions answered and advice freely given here. AND just comfort in numbers. lol And while family/friends say that it's no big deal, THEY haven't had to deal with testing a cat, or syringe feeding one that wants to sleep, or try to keep another one away. And give both (all) love, and remain sane, and still take in more and more information and try to remember it all. And, yes, I write down every little thing the Vet tells me.

75. Jeanne & Dottie

Jeanne & Dottie Member

Like us all, you're getting a Baptism of Fire, Pat. And you're coming through like a trooper. Gotta take care of our babies!:bighug:

Mogmom and Goofus likes this.
  76. Mogmom and Goofus

Ear testing didn't go so well for Goof and I, but the paw pads were much easier for/on both of us. I snuggle him a little when I pick him up, then gently Lay him on his side. I poke and then do a few gentle "pumps" and the blood comes easily. When the meter beeps, he stands up, gets a good snuggle while I wait for the number, then it's time to eat.

77. pat121

pat121 Member

I think it will be the pads, and mostly because of my eyesight. If I'm close enough to him to cuddle much, the ear is out of focus. If I'm far enough away to see it good, I'm unable to hold him (in my lap). And I really don't like him on my kitchen counter. Too high up and if he gets away, he will get hurt. Yes, I'm also a worrier.

Gals coming back tomorrow night and I will begin learning the paw pads. Right now, it's feeding him every two hours for this fatty liver disease, and that is our priority. After the first day, he is mostly a volunteer, but some nights/days he just want to sleep, so it's the syringe. And for me, taht means I'm totally awake, and have difficulty getting back to sleep, so I'm a total zombie. Almost $1500 spent in this last week or so, but he's so worth it. Family thinks I'm NUTS, and we still could lose him, but I just have to give him that chance. I'd never forgive myself if I saved $2000 or whatever so I could do something pleasurable, and he wasn't around. And, I do ramble.

At any rate, we go back Monday for tests. I am praying his numbers will be going in a favorable direction. He looks brighter, but still a little lethargic. If I don't respond to anyone, just know I'm likely reading on the iPad, but have not figured out how to get on here from there. He has passwords all save in some goodie on my desktop, and it makes them up and they are quite secure, BUT I haven't figured out how to actually get the passwords from that goodie. It rememgbers them on this desktop so I don't have to remember them, but it also creates them and keeps them all safe and secure (and from me!!!), so if I'm on iPad trying to get into site with a password, it won't allow it. And that "goodie" is not on the iPad yet. lol

78. pat121

pat121 Member

Vet tech reminded me last nite that I could still lose him. Just something I refuse to accept without a battle, and I do grasp at straws.

Beau ate this morning (5am, 8am, 10am, 10:30am and maybe 10:45a) NOT huge amounts, but he came to eat, and also ate a little of the dry food sitting there for the other cat. I take taht as at least a sign that he wants to live and is fighting. And hopefully no more syringe feeding, because he gets upset when I do that.

I get so excited with anything, and I know those I send epistles in the email about it are getting fed up (good people just not attahced at the hip to a sweet little fur baby) hearing about every little thing, so I share on here. I know everyone here has had ups and downs, and when there's an "up", they are just jumping for joy. His waiting for me to come home (with 20 cans of FF) and getting his treat and another and another just make me so happy. Yes, I am "prepared" as one could be that in 5-6 weeks his numbers show that he won't improve, but for now, I prefer saying my prayers and watching him improve daily. And it will continue.

Ramble over.

Critter Mom likes this.
  79. Tuxedo Mom

Hugs and prayers for you and scritches and healing/eating vines for Beau.

We all understand how rough the battle can be, especially when there are other concerns besides the diabetes, and we all rejoice with the "small" victories. No where else would people be saying WTG!!! when a kitty eats or poops, but to us those are just the greatest thing in the world.

Take each day with its good times and savour each minute. None of us have any sort of guarantee how much time we have with our furbabies, so we need to embrace each day, especially the good ones and revel in the minute.

Sending lots of positive vibes that you and Beau have lots and lots of great days and continued improvements.

:bighug: :bighug:

80. pat121

pat121 Member

Thanks Mary Ann. I am aware that this has shortened his life span (and probably mine), but we don't know. I do enjoy as much time with him as I can (he does need some sleep), and I will never actually be ready to lose him, and have always said the pain would be so much, I hope I go first I tend to be Pollyanna (I was with both parents). I know there are no guarantees, and I guess the Vet tech was trying to warn me not to get hopes up, but I do treasure the improvements, even the tiny little ones. It's a bread crumb and a blessing and it makes all of this worthwhile.

Tuxedo Mom likes this.
  81. Critter Mom

If my experience is anything to go by, sometimes veterinary professionals badly underestimate cats' capacity to make astounding recoveries - especially when they have a life that is well worth living and the loving care of a dedicated Person. (Same can hold true for humans.)

Is Beau getting any anti-nausea and appetite stimulation meds?

Mogs

Ferndoc likes this.
  82. Mogmom and Goofus

I'm a straw grasper too! When hope and prayer is all we have, then hope and pray is all we can do.:bighug:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2016
    Critter Mom and pat121 like this.
  83. Tuxedo Mom

My guy also has other health issues that will shorten his life long before the diabetes, but I live day to day. On the really good days I literally drink in the feeling of happiness and on the bad days I just tend to business. None of us is ever prepared to lose our furbabies, so as much as I am aware of it, I don't dwell on it. Keep on getting excited about improvements, even little ones. Positive thinking is so much healthier than negative thinking,

:bighug: :bighug:

Critter Mom and pat121 like this.
  84. pat121

pat121 Member

Mogs, I'm not sure what's in that antibiotic. I think it's just in case he was exposed to FLP(?) and that virus/bacteria has come to life. Doxycilin (sp) I believe is what it is (in the kitchen, but my brain has gone to sleep again) . Right now, I think the appetite stimulation might just be me. He is getting loved, and stroken and talked to and held. i feel so bad, because he has been following me every step I took for weeks, and I fussed at him to go away, and even made a horrible comment about how I wish I could just give him away right now. He was driving me nuts. I SO WISH I had taken hi to the Vet right then, but didn't even think about it. So very ashamed of myself.

But he is responding to whatever, and tht's good.

85. Critter Mom

Me three.

86. pat121

pat121 Member

I do believe in miracles. And positive energy. I try NOT to cry in front of him. He picks up on that. Instead I get excited when he eats, and kiss him, and just talk to him in that way that says "i love you so". And like I said, the Vet tech (who's been at my home dealig with him) said he looked so much better, and was so excited, so I'm holding on to that.

Going to retrieve some bird houses and clean those out; watch my soap; see if I can get him to eat a little more. His dreaded meds come soon,
    I think that's what I love most about this board. We're all there, and we understand. Others think we are nuts. I hear "i wouldn't worry now" or other things, and since he's still in jeopardy of not making it, I worry. After we get his fatty liver under control, he's still diabetic. And, he's getting older. And he's got a lot on his plate. And I'm single and he's my perfect child (always has been), and I adore him. And when any any any little thing happens that's good, I rejoice.

So glad to have all of you inmy life.

Tuxedo Mom and Critter Mom like this.
  87. Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA)

Cathie and Shaak Ti (GA) Well-Known Member

The day you joined I began adding Beau's name to the Novena I have begun praying for our kitties each day. Will continue to do so.

pat121 and Critter Mom like this.
  88. pat121

pat121 Member

Thank you. I think the meds, food and prayers are working, she says. He looks so much better, and is laying by his food bowl every two hour to be fed. It's just a matter of Mom getting up during the night without someone waking her. His body is learning; now mine.

Critter Mom likes this.
  89. Critter Mom

It is good to read such an encouraging update about Beau. Sending more healing and appetite-stimulating vibes for your boy.

Mogs

pat121 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.