Very confused and at a loss

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Pam & Alley, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pam & Alley

Pam & Alley Member

I feel helpless at this time as I have always managed to find a solution by reading posts here. I just don't understand why I am having such a hard time with Alley's numbers. For one thing, my civie, Little Al, has cancer and there is no treatment because of the location, near the brain inside his eye socket. He is doing fine for now, as my vet believes he removed most of the mass when he removed his eye, but it is just a matter of time before it reappears. But in the meantime, Alley is not responding well to my dosage, and I am feeling guilty that I have ignored the signs. I finally updated his spreadsheet and it was a shock looking at the results. He is getting a decent nadir for the most part then shoots up very fast near the 9+. Too much, not enough, geez I somehow cannot figure this out by myself. I would be very grateful for any suggestions.

Thank you all as always,

2. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I can certainly relate to having a crisis to deal with (cancer) one of them and "missing" or just sort of not paying a lot of attention to the others. ((((hugs)))).

OK - Alley's SS. It looks like he had better numbers on .3u. When the numbers started to creep up you raised the dose. Maybe lowering would be better (I think so, of course). Maybe try .25u?

Going from mid 300s to below 100 in 4 hours and then shooting up to the 4oos (Yowza! Just saw the PS tonight. Yikes!) - sure looks like too much insulin to me. You don't get that kind of rebound with too little insulin, IMO.

3. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Hi Pam,
    I too understand the difficulties of caring for one ill pet and neglecting others. Not badly, just losing that awareness of changes for them like with Alley.

I agree with Sheila, that Alley probably needs a reduction. I think you should try lower than .25u, if you can measure that. He had better numbers on .3u but going below that and working back up if needed sometimes yields more stable results.

4. dmartini4

dmartini4 Well-Known Member

I am too new to give any kind of advice
    But I am so sorry for what you are going thru..
    stay strong...and wishing you nothing but good thoughts

5. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hi Pam -

The nature of taking care of our babies is often like fighting fires. You put out the biggest, most dangerous one before you can address the little ones. Please don't blame yourself. Most of us here have been there, and sometimes we second-guess our decisions/actions. But know that you have to respond as best you can, and sometimes that means one might need more as soon as you get the other stabilized. They respond as though they know when one of the family is not doing well, so likewise, they know you're doing your best. Please remember that! And hang in there!

Lu-Ann

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.