Very Discouraged +8.5 is 556

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by max&emmasmommie, Mar 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. max&emmasmommie

max&emmasmommie Well-Known Member

Hi. It's 7 am, and I tested Max about 15 minutes ago. (The spreadsheet is done.) He woke me up, and he scratched my husband's face pretty hard when I didn't get up immediately. So, I fed him and tested him right after, and I got 556. He has no ketones, and I double checked that.

Yesterday went so well. His BG got all the way down to 111, and it was way under 300 before the next shot. I haven't changed his food from Hills m/d wet yet even a little bit -- that happens later today. I hope it makes a difference. I'm so worried about his organs. He uses the BB gun pellets for peeing, but he's pooing elsewhere. Thank goodness for small favors.

Here's a link to my previous post about bouncing: http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=32&t=65868

Any advice? I'll be checking the board before 10 am, which is his next shot time.

2. LILandKIT

LILandKIT Member

Hi Dale,

What you're seeing is Max bouncing from the blues he got yesterday. Because he has spent so much time in the reds/purples (and even blacks), when he hits a number that he's not used to, his liver freaks out. It's hard not to feel discouraged, I know. It takes up to 72 hours to clear a bounce. With time, he may stop bouncing as high, and when he does he'll clear them quicker. Kit used to take the 72 hours, but then after about a month would clear them by the end of the next cycle. Now he doesn't bounce at all (knock on wood). If you take a peek at Mel's (MommaofMuse) SS for Musette, you'll see what a bouncy cat she when she was on Lantus.

I wouldn't change the dose just yet. Let the bounce clear and then see what the numbers are and go from there. It's important to do so because bounces can lead you to believe that the kitty needs more insulin when, in fact, the amount they have is just enough and its the liver panicking that's the problem.

Those numbers will start coming down again. Someone told me early on when I was getting discouraged, "It's not a sprint, it's a marathon". Things will get better, you just have to have looooots of patience (something I'm still working on).

3. carolynandlatte

carolynandlatte Well-Known Member

Good morning dale!

Since you are just starting to gather data it is hard to be certain, but...it is likely max is bouncing from the lower number he had yesterday of 111. Remember, if the liver is not used to the lower blood sugar it panics. It thinks the body is in trouble. The liver dumps an excess of sugar into the system in order to protect the body.
    The effects can last up to 72 hrs, resulting in high #'s for a while. Every cat is different. Some cats can clear the extra glucose sooner.

Please don't raise the dose because of the high preshot. When it is time, the dose is raised off the nadir.

If this were my cat I would stick w/ 2 u and keep monitoring, then reasses in a few days.

Can you ask your husband to plug in any test #'s he gets while you are gone (into the ss)?

Have a good trip. I'm sorry it is a funeral, tho :(

4. max&emmasmommie

Thank you both. I'll try to relax a little, and I'll ask my husband to put in the test scores. Ah, yes, a dear friend of mine died unexpectedly last week -- undiagnosed cancer with a sudden complication. It is very hard to accept that I am going up there not to see him, but to mourn him.

5. LILandKIT

LILandKIT Member

I'm so sorry to hear the sad news Dale. May all the happy memories help you through this difficult time.

6. max&emmasmommie

Very High BGs for 30 hours

Hi. After I posted "Very Discouraged, +8.5 is 556," Max's BG values have continued to be in the 500s at PS time. My husband didn't take a mid cycle blood sample after the AM shot, and he has not been able to get blood from Max since PMPS time last night. He tried in the middle of the night, and he tried again at AMPS time. Can't do it, and Max is fighting him.

Max woke my husband up for food at about +8.5 after PM shot time. I think this means Max's BG value was high, and he's not getting much fuel to his cells. So, the plan is to give him the 2u right now at about 1/2 hr past the normal time. Max was already so stressed out from being pricked 3 times in the middle of the night that he peed on the bed in retaliation. It does not smell very strong which means he's not concentrating his urine very well. No ketone test has been possible, of course.

As to Max's actions, Max wants to go outside, and he's been out to patrol twice this morning all ready. He has a good appetite without being ravenous. His legs seem stronger, and he is jumping up on the couch more easily. Right now, he's kneading a blanket on the couch next to my husband and is purring. He seems more alert than my husband has seen him in weeks, and his coat looks fluffy instead of oily and flat. He seems to be pretty well hydrated -- his skin goes back pretty quickly, and there is just a second of hesitation right before the skin goes flat again.

My husband will try to get blood again when Max is napping. Also, I called the vet and asked that a prescription be called in for syringes that have .25 increments written on them.

If anyone has any comments, please post.

7. MommaOfMuse

MommaOfMuse Well-Known Member

There are no insulin syringes that have .25 increments printed on them...Boy, don't we all wish there was! The best you are going to find is those with 1/2 unit marks. The easiest way to measure those inbetween doses is instead of lining the bottom of the plunger up on the bottom (bottom being towards the needle) of the line for the dose you want, you line the top of the plunger up with the bottom of the line of the next higher dose. So if you are shooting 1.75u you would line the top of the plunger up with the bottom of the 2u line.

Mel, Maxwell, Musette & The Fur Gang

8. carolynandlatte

How are things going Dale?
    I see some more nice blue numbers on the ss, and some blanks (DH still having a hard time with testing?).
    Can't wait to see how it looks when Max has a day or two to get over being mad at you for leaving. :)

9. max&emmasmommie

Carolyn,

Ah, yes. It's likely he was upset that I was gone. His BG value a moment ago was 434 at +6.5. No, the Hubs wasn't able to get blood very often. I'll run a curve on Max soon.

Hope you are well, and so are your cats. Forgive me for asking, but is Latte in Heaven? Something you said made me think that.

Dale

10. carolynandlatte

Glad to see you got home safe with Emma, and the routine can go back to normal tomorrow (if there is a normal ;-) ).

Yes, Latte was let go almost 2 yrs ago (cant believe it has been that long! :shock: ).
    You can read about her in my signature links. One has her history, the other is an important public service announcement from her (with video :mrgreen: ).
    I have a young foster cat now bcatrun_gif - 1 eyed, 1.5 ears, and extra toes. She has been with me 9 months...a long term girl!

11. carolynandlatte

Hey there Dale!

You can get 1/2 unit marked syringes from walmart. It would be their relion brand. For a while I was getting some at walgreens, too. Walmart was cheaper. You can also order online. Im not sure which sites people use. Hopefully others who have bought them online can offer suggestions.

HOw is the food change going along? 50%, 75%?

Hope the evening is as balmy where you are as it is in the midwest!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.