? Very high BG, what is hyperglycemia numbers?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lovemycat444, Jan 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lovemycat444

lovemycat444 Member

My cat Taco’s BG has been increasing in the last 5 hours. I just did the ear prick test his
    BG was 450. How high are numbers that indicate possible hyperglycemia? Thank you!! PS he was on 5 units but having very high BG and very low BG (96) at what seemed to be his Lantus nadir. Vet thought he might be bouncing so she decreased his Lantus to 4 units. Above testing is today, his first day from 5 units down to 4 unit dosing.

2. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

I am only new so hopefully someone else will confirm for sure, but from my understanding the high levels are ok, it’s when they’re sustained at a high level for ages or if there are ketones in the urine (have you checked that?) that it is heading in to DKA.

My cat has had numbers well over 500 initially! She was coming out of DKA though too.

I went to your spreadsheet but it seems you haven’t put anything in there, so if you can give more info about the dosage and BGL you’ve been having that will help everyone to help you too.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  3. flyingduster

flyingduster Member

Also the very high and very low levels do sound like bouncing, and it will take more than one day to settle that i inagine? But hopefully someone else can help more.

lovemycat444 likes this.
  4. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Anything above normal range qualifies as hyperglycemia. The upper range of normal on a human meter might be around 120. You have a spreadsheet set up and are testing BG at home so it would help us t help you if you enter all your test data on the spreadsheet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.