Very late giving shot... is it okay to give now?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sally the Calico, Jan 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Im so mad at myself.... I was very busy and just realized Sally should have had her insulin shot 1 1/2 hours ago. Should have my testing strips tomorrow, so no numbers to go by. Do I go ahead and give her insulin shot now?

2. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

You have about an hour of leeway time with ProZinc so if you shoot now, you could shoot an hour earlier tomorrow. The big question is whether than messes up your schedule for tomorrow enough to be a problem and whether BG an hour earlier tomorrow AM will be high enough to warrant giving insulin. If she were my cat, I'd give the shot tonight now and then skip the shot tomorrow AM as long as your kitty is not prone to ketones and doesn't have a history of DKA. It's always best to check BG before giving insulin to be sure it's high enough to be safe and that is even more important if you are planning to shoot early.

3. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Thank you!

I lost my job last August, so that fortunately makes me flexible on adjusting dosing time for tomorrow. I'm eager to get started on home testing. Walmart was out of strips when I went for supplies and had to order online. They should arrive tomorrow.

On initial diagnosis the vet said we caught it early and no sign of ketones, so should be okay for now.

Jennifer R. and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  4. MrWorfMen's Mom

Sorry about the job but on the bright side, you have lots of time to spend with your little furry girl! I'm sure she appreciates that. :)

5. Sally the Calico

Sally the Calico Member

Lol. It truly has been a blessing in disguise. It was not long after I was out of work, that our Sam (GA) was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and kidney disease. So I was able to care for him through some tough times. It definitely has given me more confidence in handling Sally's dx. I must say shots are easier than a pill any day! Now the BG testing I predict to be a challenge, but I'm up for it. I'm sure you all will be hearing more from me as I get to testing and filling in the spreadsheet.

Btw, can I fill in the SS on my iPad? Or does it work best on a laptop?

6. MrWorfMen's Mom

You can use the SS on the IPad but you will have to make sure you have Google Drive and Google Sheets loaded on the tablet before you start. If you have any problems, just holler.

Likewise for any testing help. We are chalk full of suggestions to make it easier on both you and kitty. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.