Very possible fur shot tonight. Still worth curving tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Steph & Suki, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

I was planning on doing a curve tomorrow to see how the 1.75 dose was working but am almost sure i got a fur shot or at least partial fur shot tonight. I could smell the insulin, i always give her a quick sniff to make sure i havent missed (she is very fluffy). Is it even worth doing a curve tomorrow if the +3 PM reading confirms a fur shot as surely i wont get an accurate picture of the dosage until the depot is full again?

Link to spreadsheet is in signature

2. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

I would go ahead. It is still going to give you some valuable information. On your spreadsheet, instead of entering the intended dose for today's PM shot, please just enter Fur Shot, that way we'll know at a glance that she didn't get her usual dose.

Gill & George likes this.
  3. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

For continuity here is your previous post http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/can-i-get-advice-on-todays-pm-pre-shot-number.211932/

Since you can only run a curve at the weekend if this were me I would start the day intending to run it, and if it becomes obvious that the numbers are high and flat then you could just call it off a little later in the cycle. Or Perhaps running it on sunday might be better if that's still a possibility for you. Give Suki a chance to recover from her FS.
    Given that the weekends are the only time you can gather some extra data I wouldn't squander that opportunity, plus it wouldn't be the first time that a CG has thought they got a FS and kitty has promptly had an interesting cycle. :)

It's important to note the possible FS against tonight's dose so anyone looking at the ss can see that straight away without having to look back through the posts, it will also be helpful to you when you look back.

Bobbie And Bubba likes this.
  4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

Yep, times I swore I gave one and the cycle was all green and flat. Sometimes, if you have to shoot out some extra insulin to get to the right dose in the syringe, some residual insulin is on the tip of the needle and can cause a smell. That happened to me last night and after going back the second time with my super snooper, I did not detect an insulin smell and the cycle was just fine.

5. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Thank you everyone i will curve and see how we go! :)

I will also amend my spreadsheet :)

Gill & George likes this.
  6. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Curve is mostly done. We have our normal PM test in an hour. I dont think I did get a fur shot or if I did it must have been partial as I see no evidence of a bounce.

Can i have some advice on dosage loking at my sheet? Would everyone hold the 1.75u or go up to 2?

Thank you

7. Erin & Scott

Erin & Scott Member

It looks like you went ahead and increased to 2.0 - which is what I would have suggested, since her lowest numbers are still very high. I’m in the US, so I use a different scale, but the color coding indicates that she is still high. Try to get a mid-cycle shot either this evening or during the day tomorrow so you can see how low the new dose is taking her. Great job with the curve and the dose adjustment!

8. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Yes i did i also posted in a facebook group i am in and they said go with the increase. I will definitely get some mid cycle tests today and see how we go. Thank you for your advice :)

Yes there was a US tab with the corresponding US number but i am in UK so thats what our meters say. I think there is a conversion chart somewhere but the pink range is anywhere from 300 to 399 US numbers. For UK i think 22.1 is the highest pink before it goes to red so that gives you some idea :)

9. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad you increased. You last saw blues at 2.5 units, so I suspect you will end up there again. That reduction the other group suggested has set you back. But now you know you are getting there safely.

Steph & Suki likes this.
  10. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Yes i believe it did set us back. I need to learn more how to read her numbers as i am still not fully understanding of bouncing and why that happens.

They thought that the large drop to the blue pre shot test was a bounce but also i did panic and gave a reduced dose when that happened. I probably also increased too much as i think if we end up at 2.5u this time i will do it in .25 stages rather than the full .5

Thank you for your advice i will be posting here as well from now on :)

Gill & George and Erin & Scott like this.
  11. Wendy&Neko

Bouncing is a hard concept to figure out at first. It's a cat's body natural reaction to either fast drops or numbers lower than they are used to. It's a normal reaction until kitty is spending enough time in normal blood glucose numbers. It causes a temporary increase in blood sugars. The good thing is that it typically goes away after around 6 cycles, less as kitty gets more regulated. As an example, tonight you are seeing a bounce. Suki got down to some yellows today, which she isn't used to yet, so tonight her numbers are going up instead of down. That's the bounce starting.

12. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Do i jusr hold the dose and power through? Hope it settles?

13. Wendy&Neko

Yes, hold the dose. You could also be seeing some impact from the fur shot disrupting the depot. It should settle down as the depot builds back up.

Steph & Suki likes this.
  14. Steph & Suki

Steph & Suki Member

Thank you so much for your help :) will see how she goes