Very strange numbers

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Katie and Fuzzy, Jul 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

First, I would like to apologize for not posting in the longest time. I've been so busy that I haven't had any free time at all. :( I think the last time I posted was about 4 months ago to report that Fuzzy was once again back on the juice. He got sick while I was away, and the vet had put him on Caninsulin which I switched back to Lantus when I came back.

At that time I had a lot of trouble getting his BG regulated. His numbers were extremely high, and the glucometer read "HI" at least twice which never has happened before, (he's been diabetic for almost 3 years). Finally I got him into lower numbers, and then into the normal readings which is 85 to 145 for him, (he's always been a higher blood glucose kitty, even in remission). After he got into the normal numbers, I began testing him once in the morning, and once in the evening before injecting insulin. He was on half a unit, which I decreased to half of half a unit, then finally to about 0.1. He kept on getting too low on any higher dose than 0.1, but he kept on having numbers from 115 to 155 in the mornings and evenings. He would drop lower with more insulin, but it would always be too low, almost to the point where the glucometer would read "LO," (luckily it never came to that but it was too close for comfort.) I did the same thing as I did last time using the tight regulation method, giving him a bit of insulin even though his BG was within normal range, but the numbers never really changed, usually they were around 115 to 135. Even as a high blood glucose kitty, he should have some lower numbers sometimes, at least in the nineties. He always did before when he went into remission, (which has been twice already, this would be the third time). He would have numbers between 75 and 125 when he was in remission the last times. But for some reason, his BG doesn't go down as much as it should now. I just tested him now, (at 3:30pm), and he's at 120, and usually around this time of day he's lower, (and this was over an hour after he ate). Granted I haven't given him insulin in a week. He was throwing up last week which has always been a sign of remission before. I stopped the insulin, and he stopped throwing up. The insulin wasn't doing any good anyway, he was staying at the same numbers on 0.1 as he is by himself now, and like I said, anyting higher than 0.1 brought him down too low.

It's been exactly a week since his last insulin injection, and it seems like he's in remission again because his BG lowers by itself and doesn't surpass 145. But these numbers are still strange because they are in the high normal, and he doesn't seem to get any lower than 105 which he was this morning, but now he's 120. The small amount of insulin doesn't help, and he doesn't seem to need it, but I was wondering if maybe it was normal for older cats to have blood glucose in the high normal regularly? He's 20 years old now, which is like 90 in cat years. He eats well, has a good weight, he's as active as an old cat gets, (which isn't very), and his coat is shiny. He had a blood panel done about 5 months ago and there was nothing wrong other than the diabetes. Any suggestions on why his numbers have gotten so weird? Is he in remission or just honeymooning? It's been only a week, and I remember from last time it has to be 2 weeks before we know for sure he's OTJ again. Please help me figure this out. Thanks.

2. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

hi katie. do you have a spreadsheet you can share with us? it's much easier to try to figure things out with a visual...

3. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

I have an old spreadsheet from before he went into remission last time, but it won't help much this time because I haven't been keeping his numbers on a spreadsheet, just a log in wordpad. Actually I don't even remember my account name or password for my spreadsheet. Even if I did, it would take a very long time to convert all the numbers he's had over the last 4 months into American conversion, then put them all on the spreadsheet and sadly I am always short on time. :( I could post the log, but I only have Canadian conversion numbers so it probably won't help much.

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Hi,
    take it the insulin is still good?

I'm taking a stab here and have no knowledge base for it, but it sounds possibly feasibe to me, hence sharing it.

It coud be that only so many of his beta cells have recovered and that's why not going any lower.If this is a feasible expanation, you'd need to be extra careful that you never overwhelmed the pancreas with the wrong food or could tip the balance.
    I'm wondering if you could contact a knowledgeable vet to ask, or one of the vetinary bodies? (I wonder if this can happen in humans, but would be a huge leap in terms of physiologies).

Other than something like this (and barring that you have tested at more than 2 hours since food and at +6 lowest nadir generally and still gotten over 100+)I don't have any ideas I'm afraid.
    Sounds as if it may be a pattern you've seen previously?

5. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

Yes, the insulin was new. I think before the fridge wasn't cold enough, and when I set the temp higher, the last bottle of insulin seemed to be more powerful which put him, (I'm hoping), into remission.

He's always been a higher BG kitty like I said, but usually he still gets lower numbers in between. Unfortunately my vet most likely won't give me much of an explanation since she doesn't seem to know a lot about diabetes or pancreas trouble in general. I could try a vet at the other clinic.

As for food, I give him Fancy Feast, the flavors that have 10% or less carbs, and he's always eaten this food which seems to keep him in remission longer.

He had been a lot sicker this time around. I wonder if his pancreas just can't heal properly. But his body still doesn't want, or need, any extra insulin.

6. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Fuzzy is 20 years old wow what a nice young age ..Just wondering how old was he when you got him What a lot of years of love Hope he hangs around for a long long time yet..Sorry I don`t have any words to help you Just have a wonderful time with Fuzzy ♥♥ :mrgreen: Kath

7. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

Thanks. :) I've had him since I was really little. He was born in our home, so he's never lived anywhere else.

8. housecats4

housecats4 Well-Known Member

Fuzzy has the purrrfect life home grown. What a beautiful life. Good luck hope all goes well and I am sure once you get on track it will. My Trey is on day 3 of OTJ off the insulin and we have only been here 2 months July31/10 and we are doing great He is only 10 but doing super and its all because of these special people{Angels} ;-) :mrgreen: Kath

9. Katie and Fuzzy

Katie and Fuzzy Member

Thanks. Glad to hear your kitty is doing well. They can get OTJ pretty quickly when first diagnosed. Fuzzy was in remission in less than a week which lasted more than a year. He then went into remission a second time which also lasted for over a year. I'm hoping this time he'll stay in remission for good. :D I just wish those numbers would get lower. Otherwise he's doing awesome. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.