Very worried, I feel like I’ve failed my cat

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dakotayocom, Dec 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

So I just moved from Utah back home to Tennessee with my husband and my 12 year old kitty in November. Before the move I started noticing small things in my cat, peeing more and losing some weight. After we arrived I had to borrow some money to take him to the vet so see what was up. He was diagnosed with feline DM, this was close to a month ago. Regrettably, I didn’t have money to get him started on insulin. I know that that is awful, but they money just wants there due to the financially stressful move. I planned on calling today or tomorrow to get him insulin, but just last night he stopped eating. My cat had NEVER in his life refused food. Since I was already going to call the vet today, I of course gave her a call and I’m still waiting to hear back. I can’t stop thinking that I’ve failed my cat and I don’t know what to do. He’s acting very lethargic and won’t eat and seems irritable, but he’s still drinking. Does this seem like ketoacidosis? I know a lot of you may disagree with me, but if my cats quality of life is going to be bad, I don’t want to prolong it. He seems I’m very bad shape and I’ve never seen him like this before. Is this just because I couldn’t afford to get him started on insulin?

2. Ann & Scatcats

Ann & Scatcats Well-Known Member

Diabetes Keto Acidosis DKA is the result of no insulin.

3. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Lisa and Witn (GA) Well-Known Member

If I were you I would get your cat to the vet ASAP. If it is DKA it can become very serious quickly. A lot of cats have survived DKA but treatment needs to be done quickly for them to recover.

The good news is if you cat does not have DKA or recovers from it, feline diabetes is very manageable and most cats can survive years of being treated. To do this a low carb canned or raw food diet, a long acting insulin and home testing are needed to provide the best treatment for FD.

All of this can also be done economically too. Many members feed their cats either Fancy Feast or Friskies pate flavors canned food. Dry food and anything with gravy have too many carbs. Also you cat does not need prescription food either, even if your vet says otherwise.

Home testing means testing your cat's glucose levels before every shot. There are pet glucose meters but they are expensive to use. Most of us use human glucose meters to home test. If you are in the US, the Walmart ReliOn brand meters are the most economical to use.

Long acting insulins work better in cats for treating FD. The insulins we recommended are Lantus, Levemir, ProZinc and BCP PZI. The first two are human insulin you will get at your pharmacy. The other two are pet insulins you will get through your vet. All of these work great in cats.

I know this is overwhelming. The important thing is to get him to the vet quickly to find out what is going on. Once you are beginning your treatment for FD we can help you learn the rest.

Tanya and Ducia likes this.
  4. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I finally heard back from the vet, and I have an appointment in an hour. I did switch him to friskies pate as soon as he was diagnosed to try to do SOMETHING to help him. We’ll see what the vet says. He seems to be more lethargic as the day goes on, and he only started refusing food last night. Its crazy that he would seem to go downhill so quickly. I’m assuming if it is DKA it’s pricey to help I’m through it. That’s what scares me, I know I can’t afford a couple thousand dollar vet bill. I just don’t want him to be suffering, and I’ll do anything in my power to help him. He’s been my best friend of 12 years.

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Please let us know what happened when you get a chance

6. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

So it’s entirely my fault, I did fail him

7. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I will. Thank you.

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Good luck

9. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Help with insulin, testing and possibly veterinary bills may be available through DCIN (Diabetic Cats in Need). You can send a message to them through Facebook. I am tagging someone for you.
    @Chris & China (GA) Can you direct Dakotayocom about how to apply for assistance.

10. manxcat419

manxcat419 Well-Known Member

No you didn't. If your vet didn't explain to you how important it might be to start insulin or at least adjust his diet initially, you couldn't have been expected to know that. And you were trying to keep a roof over your (and his) head. Sometimes there are limited resources and you can only do as much as you can do. Right now, I would focus on getting him seen by the vet and getting him feeling better and on insulin, not on blaming yourself for not knowing something you had no reason to know.

Tanya and Ducia and Sarah&Soph like this.
  11. Ann & Scatcats

Yup. We had our time, Gustav, Simba and I when Venita who started DCIN had it, and just as an FYI were major single donors to two of their DCIN cats DKA. But with Ennis dying Venita had enough of it and it's an Amy who seems to be in charge now, since I still have DCIN on my Facebook even if Venita is gone. DCIN = Diabetic Cats In Need. And is now since Venita's IRS application one of those 9-something IRS approved Cat Rescues.

12. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

Okay everyone, I just got back from the vet. They said he did have ketones in his urine and she emphasized the importance of getting him rehydrated. She sent me home with fluids to give him, insulin and some recovery food to try to get him to eat. She says if I can get him to eat, things can likely be okay. If not he doesn’t he doesn’t have great chances. Here’s hoping I can get him to eat so I can give him insulin tonight.

13. Ann & Scatcats

14. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

What kind of insulin did they send him home with? What dose do they want you to give?

Hopefully the recovery food does the trick-- many cats find it very appetizing, so crossing fingers on that. Did they give him any meds, like an anti-nausea?

15. Lisa and Witn (GA)

No you cannot believe that. You have done the best you could with the circumstances you faced. You did not fail him.

Let us know what the vet says. The behaviors you are seeing could be caused by other issues instead of DKA. What matters now is that he is treated for his current issues. Another option some vets offer is Care Credit. Normally I don't recommend taking on additional debt, but if you are able to use it then it gives you the option of spreading out the payments instead of coming up with the money all at once.

16. Jennifer R.

Jennifer R. Member

Did the vet say that he needed to eat all of the food before you gave him the insulin? Mine said just to give my cat about 1/4 of the food first. But then my cat is on Lantus, which is long-acting. You may actually ask around in facebook groups to see if anyone has any extra insulin. Often people have extra after their pets pass away. I think there is a forum here for that, too.

17. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

This is the link to our Supply Closet. People who have supplies to donate or sell post here. I'd also look on Craig's list for insulin. If your vet suggested Lantus or Levemir, many people here purchase their insulin from Canada. The cost is about one third of the price here.

Please let us know if you need help with assist feeding. You can get a food syringe at most pet stores or possibly from the vet. One additional suggestion re. getting your kitty to eat -- baby food. You want either Beechnut or Gerber Stage 2 which is only a protein and broth, no veggies. However, if ketones are appearing, it really doesn't matter what you are feeding your cat. What's important is getting your cat to eat. It doesn't matter if your kitty is eating ice cream -- the calories are what counts.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  18. Lisa and Witn (GA)

If he does not eat willingly then you may need to syringe feed him. If you have to do this then take some of the food and puree it with water to make it soupy. I found that using a small food chopper or even a coffee grinder helps to get it smooth enough to use with a syringe or medicine dropper. I usually only mix 1/4 can at a time. If the vet did not give you a syringe to use for feeding you can often find a large hole medicine dropper in the baby section of the pharmacy. The important thing is to get food into him.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  19. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

This is all so wrong, your guilt is totally misplaced. While you are now in the best place possible for medical and financial aid there is a more human aspect we all contribute to. More than anything else if you stay here you'll find extremely compassionate people who are all volunteers, no one will snicker at you and there is no such thing as a stupid question.
    Years ago and two sugar cats ago we had no idea why our young and otherwise healthy cat was climbing all over our dinner plates (no excessive urination or water intake but he was a very private cat) so a quick check up was in order. I was in my 50's then and we had nine cats along with a lifetime of other cats so of course I thought I knew it all. How arrogant could I be, the idea Nigel was diabetic didn't even occur to me. I had a vet whose dad was a vet who promptly showed me everything and more importantly why I needed these things. We cried for a day and then got down to business.
    If you've had a cat for twelve years it means you love him and unlike so many other people he is not some disposable animal at the first sign of trouble. That you care enough to be here and admit a mistake so many of us have all missed is a sign of love and compassion. I cannot tell you how many people "advised" me that this was going to be too much trouble and maybe Nigel's time had come. I know people that spend more on expensive sneakers that they do on the cat they apparently love. Before I moved here 3,000 miles I was also advised that spending $300 to fly my cats here with me was a waste of money. Those cats lived to 17 and 23. I cannot imagine trying to have a conversation with two cats telling them moving all my furniture was fine but that their time had come. That is not love, it's the lack of value we put on things we claim to love until the going gets a little bit rough. The money can be an issue, luckily it never was for us, and with both cats their passing had nothing to do with diabetes.
    None of this is medical advice but it shows me that no, none of this is your fault and it's nothing you should have seen coming. You're here now and you'll have a thousand questions but guilt and remorse have nothing to do with it.
    Sorry for making this so long but there are two more things you need to read that will help you sleep better tonight.
    The first is what we call the "Dear Mom" letter and it should be required reading for all new sugar cat caregivers.
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/letter-from-your-kitty-to-you-during-this-time.131186/
    The second is my story only but if you think you're feeling guilt have a look at this. It's the story of me being a super responsible cat owner and then this happens.
    Read them both when you have the time, especially the second story, and then you tell me what it real guilt feels like. (It has a happy ending).
    Welcome from all your new friends. :)
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/andy-back-home.221709/#post-2477405

20. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I have just syringe fed him about a 1/4 of a teaspoon of recovery food. I’m going to give him about 10 minutes to see if he keeps it down and then give him more. He threw up after he got home from the vet, which might have been the stress but I don’t want to feed him a lot and have him throw it up.

21. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

It’s Prozinc insulin. They didn’t give him any anti nausea, although I’m sure it would be helpful. I just syringe fed him a little food and I’m seeing if he’ll keep it down before giving more.

22. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Did they give him an injection for nausea such as cerenia and some cerenia tablets for you to bring home?

23. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

They did not :/ I didn’t even think to ask. But my vet also knows I’m low budget, so maybe that’s why

24. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Ketones can make cats feel nauseated and cats who are nauseated don’t feel like eating.
    If he continues to not want to eat, an injection of cerenia or some oral tablets could make a bit difference.
    The most important things to do when a cat has ketones is to make sure they are eating, getting their insulin and any infection or inflammation treated.
    So getting as much food into him as you can without making him sick is really important.
    Keep syringing small amounts often as he will tolerate it.
    And I would mention the cerenia to the vet.
    Have you started on the insulin yet?

25. Nan & Amber (GA)

Let's see how he does with the assist feeding. Sometimes, you just have to get them started and that perks them up. The fluids should also help make him feel better and flush out some ketones, and then yes, some Cerenia would definitely help so talk to your vet about that.

Did the vet suggest a starting ProZinc dose? How much does your kitty (name?) weigh?

26. Lisa and Witn (GA)

You can also give Pepcid AC Original Strength to help with nausea. The generic name is Famotidine. If you get the 10 mg tablets you can give 1/4 tablet every 12 hours. The dose for cats is .25 to .5 mg per pound. So if he weighs around 10 lbs 1/4 tablet would be a good dose.

A lot of times when the cat becomes rehydrated and gets some food, that encourages them to start eating.

27. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

She suggested starting him at 1.4 units. She wants me to bring him back in the morning to check on him.

28. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

General update, I’ve continued to try and syringe feed him. I just got a whole syringe in him, so I gave him his insulin dose, and also was able (with a lot of crying and panicking) to get him his fluids for the night. Now I plan to let him rest and calm down tonight, and I’ll be returning to the vet to get his levels checked and see how he’s doing.

29. Nan & Amber (GA)

Whoo-hoo! Congratulations on the food, fluids, and insulin-- that's a big deal! He'll need more food than that, but a whole syringe is a great start, and hopefully will help to make him start to feel better.

Give him lots of comfort and praise for putting up with all that, he's a good boy. Give yourself a treat too (chocolate, glass of wine, whatever), this is super-stressful for the caregiver.

30. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I should mention, since getting him home he’s actually gotten almost three syringes total, but I made sure to give him a full one before the insulin. The vet said obviously he needed to eat something, but since his blood glucose is so high (500 :/) anything he could eat would be okay.

Nan & Amber (GA) likes this.
  31. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

What is your kitties name?

32. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

His name is Tomo.

33. Ann & Scatcats

FYI sent you a pm with the contact info to Diabetic Cats In Need, DCIN.

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  34. Nan & Amber (GA)

How is he this morning?

35. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I woke up and it seems he ate the tiny amount of food I left for him. So I’ve added some water and heated up some recovery food and he’s eating it little by little. Right now my husband is feeding it to him off his fingers, lol. Once he eats at least what’s in his dish, I’ll get his insulin in him, and call the vet to get him checked out.

36. Nan & Amber (GA)

:woot: :woot: :woot: !!!!

Eating on his own is wonderful at this stage! Such a good sign...

37. Diane Tyler's Mom

Do you plan on home testing? Also it would be helpful for you to fill your signature out
    Your name/Cat's name, age, sex, date of diagnosis, type of insulin, type of meter, type of food, any other health issues or meds? and a general location.
    You'll also want to get a 2020 spreadsheet set up. Here is the link below to the information
    We're very data driven here so the spreadsheet really helps us to help you!
    Take a look at anyone's Spreadsheet and you can see it has the date, AMPS which is when you first test him in the morning, the next will be how many units you are giving
    You will see columns that say +1 +2 +3 etc that is where you will put his BG number
    For Example if you test him 2 hours after giving him his morning shot you would put that number in the #2 square, you would do the same thing for his PMPS shot PS means pre shot. There is also a column for remarks. You would want to get maybe 3 or 4 tests in if you can like a+2, +4, +6 then other times to fill in the blanks you can do a +3, +5, +7 for both 12 hour cycles. This is to see where the insulin is taking him in order to see how low he is dropping, if the dose might have to be decreased or increased.
    This is to keep him safe. This is important because if you need help the members here can take a look at his spread sheet and see what is going on if you need help with his dose.
    When increasing insulin we like to increase by 0.25 units at a time so you don't skip over the best dose
    I know it sounds so overwhelming right now, it did to me in the beginning, but everyone here is so amazing with helping out.
    Most of us use human meters such as the Relion Prime its $9 at Walmart and the test strips are about $18 for 100 strips.
    Most vets use a pet meter and they are very expensive and the test strips are even worse
    something like $55 to $70 dollars depending where you get them and you only get 50
    You will most likely do a lot of testing in the beginning so the money does add up
    If you have trouble setting up the spread sheet ask for help, like I did and someone will set it up for you.
    Did you read the sticky about prozinc yet?
    Ask as many questions as you want to, that's how you will
    learn about everything like I did.
    Everyone here is so awesome and helpful that I can't say enough about them
    I'm glad Tomo is eating for you. Best of luck

http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/...ase-read-and-keep-bumped.222332/#post-2496623

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  38. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

Another update for everyone, just returned from the vet, he got his fluids for the day and his blood glucose was at 266... a stark contrast from yesterday’s 511!

39. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

I think I will, I’m just currently trying to get through this week (I have another appointment on Thursday) and then I will figure out where we’re going from here. I definitely do not want to pay $30 everytime I need to get his BG checked, so I will likely have to home test.

40. Nan & Amber (GA)

Sounds like he's feeling better!

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

Definitely cheaper to do it at home, yikes! Home testing is one of those things that has a steep learning curve at the beginning (those first few test attempts can be really frustrating, it feels like it will never work), but then once you get going it's a breeze. Not only will you save a ton of money, but being able to get that information about how he's doing really helps you feel more in control of the situation, and it's absolutely the best way to keep him safe while he's on insulin.

41. Diane Tyler's Mom

Sorry about my post cutting off, something happened when I was writing and half of what I wrote disappeared , so take a look above I finished what I wanted to tell youyou, just saw his picture he is very handsome @Dakotayocom

42. Deb & Wink

You can learn to give the fluids at home yourself. I've done it for 2 different cats. Something else to ask your vet about.

Glad to read Tomo is eating on his own and his BG is down.

Did you get some keto test strips at the drug store? That way you can check for ketones at home. Or smell his breath and if it smells fruity, like an over ripe banana or some people think ketones smell like acetone (nail polish remover).

43. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Great news.

44. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

They actually did show me how to give fluids, and I did it last night, but it was very incredibly stressful for us so we were glad the vet did it for us this morning to give us, and Tomo, a break.

45. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

46. Diane Tyler's Mom

@Dakotayocom don't know if you saw the rest of this, what I posted above some how got erased
    You will see columns that say +1 +2 +3 etc that is where you will put his BG number
    For Example if you test him 2 hours after giving him his morning shot you would put that number in the #2 square, you would do the same thing for his PMPS shot PS means pre shot. There is also a column for remarks. You would want to get maybe 3 or 4 tests in if you can like a+2, +4, +6 then other times to fill in the blanks you can do a +3, +5, +7 for both 12 hour cycles. This is to see where the insulin is taking him in order to see how low he is dropping, if the dose might have to be decreased or increased.
    This is to keep him safe. This is important because if you need help the members here can take a look at his spread sheet and see what is going on if you need help with his dose.
    When increasing insulin we like to increase by 0.25 units at a time so you don't skip over the best dose
    I know it sounds so overwhelming right now, it did to me in the beginning, but everyone here is so amazing with helping out.
    Most of us use human meters such as the Relion Prime its $9 at Walmart and the test strips are about $18 for 100 strips.
    Most vets use a pet meter and they are very expensive and the test strips are even worse
    something like $55 to $70 dollars depending where you get them and you only get 50
    You will most likely do a lot of testing in the beginning so the money does add up
    If you have trouble setting up the spread sheet ask for help, like I did and someone will set it up for you.
    Did you read the sticky about prozinc yet?
    Ask as many questions as you want to, that's how you will
    learn about everything like I did.
    Everyone here is so awesome and helpful that I can't say enough about them
    I'm glad Tomo is eating for you. Best of luck

Noah & me (GA) and Dakotayocom like this.
  47. Lisa and Witn (GA)

Its just like caring for a diabetic cat, just takes some practice to become comfortable doing it. One thing we recommend to reduce your stress while giving fluids, shots or home testing is to sing while doing it. It sounds crazy, but it is hard to be stressed if you are singing. Unfortunately, cats are very perceptive and if you are stressed, they also stress more. By reducing your stress, you also will reduce his stress.

48. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

49. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

Quick question, would it make sense to give Tomo electrolyte water instead of filtered water to help him out?

50. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

For Tomo, I wrote that in a big hurry and none of it was either meant as nasty or strictly medical advice. Almost all of us have had a cat get sick, sometimes very suddenly, and it's never a question of should we have known better. Cats get into garbage, puppies swallow batteries, kids swallow nickels (me). You're doing what you need to do and taking the great advice from the wonderful people here. You've loved Tomo for a long time and none of us have a crystal ball. I hope that makes sense.
    Much love from both of us and our bunch of sleeping cats. Guilt is a wasted emotion.

51. Nan & Amber (GA)

I've never heard of doing that, so I can't really help one way or another with your question. The ringers solution you are using for the sub-cutaneous fluids has electrolytes, so that's something. If it were me I don't know that I'd go beyond that without a vet's input, but maybe someone else here has had some experience with this.

52. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If you haven't done it already, please apply to DCIN's Compassionate Assistance Program.

We help low income caregivers with the cost of treatment so they don't have to consider euthanasia.

Hope your "extra sweet" kitty continues to feel better!

53. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would just use ordinary water. He is getting fluids from the vet and you don’t want to upset the balance.
    You could ask the vet about it but I think a lot of those drinks have sugar in them. Or artificial sugar.
    So glad he is eating some food on his own. Progress!

54. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I absolutely agree with Bron. You do not want to throw off Tomo's electrolyte balance. It's one thing for a human, who's much bigger, to have an electrolyte supplement, especially if you're sweating, etc. I would be very hesitant to give a supplement to a cat. While electrolytes like sodium or potassium may seem trivial, they are not. Also, as Bron noted, if there is artificial sweetener in the drink, it could be toxic to cats.

Teresa & Buddy likes this.
  55. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

So I actually just mean a regular old bottled water that has added electrolytes. Something like smart water, or life water has electrolytes in it rather than water from tap.

56. Dakotayocom

Dakotayocom New Member

Well, Tomo is turning his nose up at food again this morning. Seemed like he was doing better yesterday and maybe worse today.

57. Deb & Wink

You have already said your budget is very tight so fresh bottled water every day could get very expensive. Old water you have out for your cat needs to be dumped every day and the water dish should be cleaned, to cut down on bacteria contamination.

Plain water from the tap is fine and won't cost you more money. Some of those bottled waters have sugar added to them, like Vitamin Water. Why take the risk, when your cat already is having problems? I also say NO on the bottled waters with electrolytes. Call your vet if you want and ask.

For the appetite, go to your local petstore (Petsmart, Petco for example) and get some Fortiflora. Sprinkle a tiny bit (not the full recommended dose) on top of the food. Many cats like the taste and will eat more food with just a little of that Fortiflora probiotic on top of the food.

58. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Just use plain water. Don’t use any bottles of water with additives, be they electrolytes or sweeteners. Just plain tap water is what is needed.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  59. Teresa & Buddy

Teresa & Buddy Well-Known Member

I hope you do what Chris said about applying to DCIN and then you can get additional help for your kitty from the vet. This would be a big help for your cat to stop needless suffering. Please send a message to Chris via a Conversation(PM) at the top of the page, they would help you with insulin and testing supplies. HURRY, you don't have time to waste.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  60. Chloe007

Chloe007 Member

I'm not sure how this would work, or if it would be advisable, so maybe someone can help me out here. But I have a 2 month old bottle of ProZinc with a little less than half the bottle missing. I became paranoid a few weeks ago that the insulin wasn't working anymore because of my cats numbers, so I bought another vial. Turns out the insulin is fine still (confirmed by my vet as well when I brought it in for her to look at) and my kitty just doesn't want to regulate lol.

With all that being said, I have a 2 month old, half filled vial of ProZinc I could send you if money is tight. You would want to use it up quickly, and before your new vial since they only last about 3 months (some say they stretch it longer though). Of even if you just want it for a backup which can be good to have. I just have no idea how I'd go about mailing something so sensitive, but I'm sure someone here could help me figure it out if you're interested.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.