Vet Appointment & Insulin Time

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by RobinHarley, Oct 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

Harley has a vet appointment coming up on Monday. It's the first appointment they have available since they know he is diabetic and he is suppose to come having note ate or taken insulin. We are doing a check up of my charting and an insulin change for him, the vet is also going to test my meter against his.

Anyway... My question...

I usually test at 7am and give insulin at 7:15am. The first appointment the vet office has during their work week is 8:30am. How do I handle this day? We only live literally 3 minutes away so when the appointment is over should I go straight home, feed, and give insulin? But then how do I get him back to his regular time because anytime past 7:30am is too late for my schedule and doesn't work for us.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're going to have to skip the shot that morning (although I'm not sure I understand why your vet wants him NPO and without insulin that morning)

You can work your way back to your chosen time by adjusting 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day, but if you need to keep that 7:30 shot time, you really don't have much choice.

3. RobinHarley

RobinHarley Member

So if I want to keep the same time I would skip it in the morning and give it at the 12 hour mark to keep schedule? Then the next morning I can give it as usual? So... Sunday 7:30am and 7:30pm would be usual and come Monday I would skip AM and do PM and then Tuesday I would do AM and PM just like usual?

I am unsure why he does it... This is out first time after being DX'ed seeing him. He said he schedules all his diabetics at the first appointment of the day since they have to be no food no insulin for the appointment. All the appointment is is checking BG's on his monitor and mine (so I can get a calibration), and discussing insulin increase. That is all... so I will have to ask him about the no food no insulin thing.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Exactly!!

RobinHarley likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.