Vet APPT 4:30PM...question...OTJ cat and skin issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by milosmommy, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

Milo will celebrate 1 year OTJ next Wednesday! We have noticed that he has been bathing himself lots the past week or so. I didn't think much of it till we were playing today. I looked at his tummy and noticed it was all red and fur was missing. I haven't noticed "clumps" of fur anywhere but he has had a couple 'hairball' type vomits in the past week. I DON'T see any evidence of fleas (he only goes out maybe 30 minutes a day but long enough he could get them). I don't know if it is some type of rash or what? My concern and question to those who have had these issues and having an OTJ cat if vet wants to prescribe something what are the things we should stay away from in order not to mess with the glucose levels? He has never been a nervous kitty and no changes have occured in his food, schedule, cat sand, home situation, etc. Any info on what to ask and what to stay away from would be appreciated!! THANKS

2. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

There are three basic possible causes and one less likely...

1. Food allergy - what does he eat and what treats?

2. Fleas/mites/other allergies

3 behavioural

4. Internal pain

Need to first rule out food then move to number 2

Jen

3. Jen & Squeak

Jen & Squeak Well-Known Member

Oh and absolutely no steroids till you know what the problem is!

4. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

You can't stay away from AB's if he needs them, just need to be mindful they might affect his bg's and perhaps best to monmitor a little more closely.

Well spotted, paws crossed it's only something minor :mrgreen:

5. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

He is eating the low carb variety of Fancy Feast and that hasn't changed in a year.
    He does get Friskies Party Mix treats (yes I know not low carb but our glucose remains 55-65 range) even when we get 3-4 a day and that has not changed in 9 months.
    2. Yes it could be fleas or another allergy. It is so dry here (Indiana). I don't see any signs of bugs on him (fleas or mites). He is white and I have combed him and parted his fur in various areas and see nothing.
    3. He is acting the same except for the "itching" and constant bathing so nothing new there.
    4. Seems to be in no pain..actually he has been quite hyper lately (should say more hyper than his normal hyper self).

Will see what the vet says......
    THANKS!

6. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

Acting hyper lately? Has he been drinking more water? Hyperthyroid cats sometimes over groom and have a good amount of energy. Maybe some basic blood work that includes the T4 to check for hypert on top of everything else that's been mentioned.

7. milosmommy

milosmommy Member

UPDATE Re: Vet APPT 4:30PM...question...OTJ cat and skin iss

UPDATE: WE HAVE FLEAS!!!

Guess I can smile that it is ONLY that! He gave Milo an antibiotic shot for the spots that he had picked on and were infected. He told us to give him Zyrtec rather than Benadryl. Also, he did NOT want to give him steroids (which I knew was a big NO) due to his being in remission for 359 days. I appreciate the quick responses and information. I now know I HAVE to do those darn flea treatments every month....I did at the start of the summer and we have never had fleas so I didn't do again so I am feeling guilty. Poor kitty is not happy but we are on the road to recovery. Thankfully I had just steam cleaned the carpet and washed all the sheets today. Any other things I SHOULD do to the house??? Thanks so much.....

8. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Fab news :mrgreen:

Make sure you wash any pet bedding and treat if you have spray.
    Not heard of the AB's he's given (have heard of benadryl).
    I'd just keep hoovering as may have eggs somewhere and want to get on top of them.
    Others may have sugestions to.
    Now you can breathe easy :mrgreen:

9. Jean and Charcoal

Jean and Charcoal Well-Known Member

Also, even once you get rid of the flea problem and you are sure they are gone, watch for Milo and the fact that sometimes once they start this overgrooming, it can start becoming like an OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder), even though the fleas are no longer around.

My Ketchie who is 15, started years ago like that, and then went on to have what is known as 'Hyperesthesia", which is really like an anxiety or neurological issue. My poor Ketchie, still over grooms, and her belly is bare. Nothing much as ever helped her, and these types of cats usually have bouts of running around suddenly, may have rippling skin on their backs, and they may become agitated if pet too much. Here is a good site to read about this malady:

http://www.cathealth.com/hyperesthesia.htm

Glad that you found out though, that it is being caused by the dreaded FLEA. UGH.... I hate fleas!!! Of course who doesn't?

Get better fast, Milo!

Jean and Charcoal (GA)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.