? Vet appt in morning.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Meridith and Zeke, May 25, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meridith and Zeke

Meridith and Zeke Well-Known Member

In the morning is my first appt for Zeke with my normal vet. I started home testing last night and we got one this morning also, much easier then last night lol. In another hour will be doing a peak. The peaks with the previous vet were always high (last Friday was in 350's), but after much reading have since learned that the peaks were probably really high because of stress. We literally would play a 10 minute game of hide and seek before we could even catch him and put him in the carrier.

What questions do I need to ask the vet tomorrow? I am going to bring our monitor and #'s for the vet to see and to do a test also while there to compare for accuracy. She is about 30 minutes away and Zeke doesn't travel well, peeing etc in carrier, so hopefully she will be ok with every other week at most since home testing.

Also, how soon do I need to try for a curve? I know a home one will be much more accurate then at the vet since he stresses so badly.

2. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Wait a couple days after today's visit before you do the earliest curve, so Zeke's stress can calm down :). Some people use Feliway wipes / diffusers that can help kitties travel better. What meter do you have again?

Meridith and Zeke likes this.
  3. Meridith and Zeke

Forgot to add that to my signature yesterday. I bought the relion micro. The first time took us about 4 sticks, but this morning only 1 :)

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  4. Yong & Maury GA

Yong & Maury GA Well-Known Member

Just note if the Vet uses a pet meter like AlphaTrak 2, the ReliOn will not be considered accurate since it is a human glucometer. You can let your Vet know the reason you chose human meter is because it's more affordable. Hopefully, they'll understand how testing makes you feel better so you can monitor Zeke's BG at home. We know human meter has greater variance to pet meters at higher numbers and lesser variance at lower numbers. You can still keep Zeke safe with either :).

5. Meridith and Zeke

I know she doesn't have an issue with human monitors because my mother also used this vet when her minpin had diabetes.

Yong & Maury GA likes this.
  6. Meridith and Zeke

Wow! After all the high numbers we got for peak at the bad vet, his peak at home was 69! Makes me wonder if we are giving too much.

We have only did 3 tests so far, here is the numbers to this point.

Breakfast yesterday he only ate a little so gave him just over 1u.

Before dinner PS, 381. Gave 2.5u
    Before breakfast this morning PS, 263. Gave 2.5u
    Peak, 69.

7. Squalliesmom

Squalliesmom Well-Known Member

If you are going to compare test results between yours And the vet's monitors, it would be a good idea for you to do a test just before you leave, as well. Then you can compare the less-stressed result with the more-stressed results, as well.

8. Meridith and Zeke

Very good idea! Thank u. That also would time with when I would normally be doing his morning test pre food and shot.

Squalliesmom likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.