Vet Call Update - Blackie

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Angela & Blackie & 3 Others, Oct 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Yesterday afternoon, after I syringed some water into her, she went potty twice, and both times it was a lot. In fact, all of her peeing has been a lot. I'll give her quite a bit of water, and she won't go to the LB until almost 10 hours afterwards, sometimes more, sometimes less. I did feed her a snack of 5g of food after giving her the water, so this morning's # will be higher because of it, and probably the stress, too.

Last night, I gave her 45g of food at PS, but she didn't eat it all. I think it was the smell/taste of the Omega 3-Pet that put her off. So, I dumped it and gave her 38g of ordinary food without the Omega 3 and Zobaline and with 2 tablespoons of water. She ate most of it, but wouldn't eat the rest after a few minutes. I left her alone until about +1.5, and tried about 20g with more water. Just a few licks and walked away. I had her on my lap and did circular back rubs on her for a bit before putting her in her cubby at the base of the scratching post.

Tramadol given at 5-ish. And she just had about 10 minutes worth of laptime. It's 5:36 a.m. I'll be giving her the other 1/2 of Cerenia after I get a test from her. She's losing weight. I can tell when I pick her up. This morning, I call the vet and decide what to do next. I already fear and expect the worst. Perhaps I can convince the vet to give me more Cerenia until this weekend to see if it'll help her. She has 3 more doses of Tramadol left. Right now, we can't afford much more than giving her more Cerenia. At least she's not vomiting with it.

I've put my job search on hold until I find out what Blackie wants to do. I'm not doing very well right now.

2. Kim & Twice

Kim & Twice Well-Known Member

Re: Update With Blackie ( & Me) Last PM/This AM So Far

(((Angela)))

Sending loads of vines and hugs to you and Blackie. Hope all goes well with the vet. :YMHUG: cat_pet_icon

3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Just a quick note...I don't have a lot of cerenia experience other than with Trix, but we give her 1/4 tablet, not 1/2 a tablet. I wonder if 1/2 a tablet is actually too much, plus by quartering it, it will go a lot longer. Hopefully someone else who knows cerenia better can add to that thought.

Along with needing cerenia longer than a few days, Blackie may need the pain meds longer, too. And sometimes, as the p-titis starts to resolve, it starts becoming a "play it by ear" situation, too. The p-titis can flare a bit, then settle, and during those flares, you want to be prepared with pain meds.

I would also consider skipping the supplements for now. Blackie may have an aversion to them because of the p-titis. As I mentioned yesterday, small frequent meals are better for a p-titis kitty, so don't worry about her going slow with eating. Keep things simple.

I do wonder if she would benefit from actual SubQ fluids, as opposed to just syringing the water. Fluids hydrate them, but also contain other good stuff like electrolytes and potassium. As a caregiver experienced with giving injections, you can definitely do fluids! Heck, I would much rather do fluids with Trix than give her her daily pills!

As I've mentioned, pancreatitis does take a long time to get over - far more than a weekend. It's very stressful for the bean, but it is doable. It took Trix several months before she was what I would consider to be "stable" and consistently feeling good. She did slowly lose weight over the course of those months, too, because even with assist feeding, I wasn't able to get enough calories into her. Now, she eats better, but differently...she'll still only eat small quantities at a time, so I spend my entire morning and my entire evening offering her plates of food. To this day, though, she is not the same kitty she was before the p-titis. She is happy and comfortable and definitely doing well, but she's not the same. It's one of those things that takes a bean a while to get used to...it's another "new normal".

You are a very attentive bean and you can do this. You are on the right track. It takes time, but you can do this.

4. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending more prayers for you and Blackie. :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: Sending good vetty vines.

5. MonetsMom

MonetsMom Member

Angela, I am so sorry for what you and Blackie are going through right now. I know it's got tobe so stressful for you and Blacke too. You are doing an AMAZING job taking care of her !!!

I was just doing a little research and found that it is very common for decrease in appetite and weight loss while taking cerenia. Like Amy mentioned with the subQ fluids, I did read these can be very beneficial since most kitties with Pancreatitis are dehydrated and this will rehydrate them and make them feel better!

Sendinf you lots of Prayers and hugs....

6. Georgette and Clare

Georgette and Clare Member

Dear {{{Angela}}} and {{{Blackie}}},

We're sending our support and wishes for Blackie's healing today. Sometimes the uncertainty is the most worrying part, so we're also hoping that the vet will help you with discovering what's clearly the best way to care for Blackie just now.

cat_pet_icon

Georgette and Clare

7. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi ((((Angela)))),
    We will be thinking of you and Blackie and sending lots of good-vetty vines for Blackie's appointment today. I agree with keeping the foods simple. It is easy for kitties to develop aversions to their favorite foods if they detect that those foods have been "adulterated". The most important thing now is that Blackie eats, and you are on the right track by feeding a little at a time. Amy has some good suggestions. Do talk to your vet about giving fluids. I remember how apprehensive Amy was when she began giving Trixie fluids, and how well the whole process turned out to be. Marje's video made all the difference, as many here have said:
    http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75933

Lots of hugs and scritches. Don't be afraid! You can deal with pancreatitis!

Ella & Rusty

8. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Morning Angela :coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

Hugs t you, and good vetty vines for Blackie. I hope she is feeling better this morning. I remember with Mannie it did take a little time before he felt good again. I too fed small amounts until he felt like eating again. He too developed food aversions when he came down with the p'titis. I had to switch things around a bit. just to keep him eating. Healing vines to you Blackie, feel better soon.

9. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

Angela. Just huge prayers and vines for you. For Blackie. So much good advice here from experienced people. I have none to offer. Just huge prayers and vines.

Marilyn and Polly

10. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you for your kind thoughts and prayers. Blackie licked a bit of her food, but that's it. I even pureed it, and she would lick a small amount, but nothing. I've removed the supplements altogether. I syringed some of the pureed food into her after mixing another tablespoon of water into it. She ate some, but not much. I syringed 1/2 tsp. of water into her, until she pushed it away, and she would hold it in her mouth instead of swallowing it. She's been looking for a spot to hide earlier this morning before spending time on my lap. She's currently in her cubby hole purring. I know she's not comfortable. Her breath doesn't smell like the typical fishy smell that cats normally have. I think there's something more going on that I can't fix.

We can't afford the sub-q fluids, or the equipment needed. We simply don't have the money. I took Friday's money out of whatever savings we had left. I feel like this is beyond fixing as I think this has been going on for a long time. Unfortunately, I think this is it.

11. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

What strength are the cerenia tablets? They come in more than one strength. If you can keep her hydrated by syringing water and adding it to her food, I wouldn't worry about sub-q fluids. It's such a pity that they used to be so cheap and now have become so expensive. Just 5 years ago I could get a case of 24 for under $30 at Costco. Still, if a cat is eating and not dehydrated there is no magic in fluids. This can take a long time to go away and it is very frustrating but you have a cat that is eating. I wouldn't be so quick to think this is it and I'm not just saying it to make you feel better. Max stopped eating completely with his first episode and I know how scary it all is. Vines to Blackie and hugs to you.

One more thing. I'm going to put in another push for ondansetron. It is much cheaper than cerenia and can be dosed up to every eight hours but is usually given twice a day. I know most people here use cerenia and it is a good drug. But I am a member of the feline pancreatitis group and I can't tell you how many cats do well with ondnasetron. I buy at least 30+60 at a time which brings down the cost even more. If you would like me to send you a few to try, send me a pm.

12. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Re: Update With Blackie (& Me) Last PM/This AM So Far

I've been adding water to her food in the past, and she normally laps it all up.

I talked to a vet tech at the vets, and she said that the Cerenia is supposed to help with making them want to eat as it stops the nausea. She's not eating like normal. The vet will call me back and we'll decide from there.

We've got 1 income and we can't do this on 1 income. I keep the books. I know what the finances are like, and we have nothing. My husband won't agree to the sub-Q fluids, and I already know what his decision would be.

Part of me is accepting defeat. Part of me is trying to hold onto some hope. I cried hard 1/2 hour ago.

13. tiffmaxee

I just checked and 30 ondansetron at Costco cost $16. The usual dose is 1/4 a 4 mg pill twice a day.

14. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Just sending more hugs and vines. i know on Tess's last UTI the vet said getting her to eat was more important than the supplements, so I don't add too many to her food now. The omega-3 I just squirt in her mouth and I crush the Zobaline and mix it w/ butter. She will eat anything in butter! :roll:

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

hey...
    I'll send you some ondansetron.... ( cyproheptadine too if you want)

I get the generic ...cheap....
    I'll even try to cut them for you since I have 8 mg pills....and I'm supposed to give 1/8 ....

pm me your address and I"ll mail them today.....
    I'll also pay for a bag of fluids/and accessories....

we can at least see if it helps.....

16. Amy&TrixieCat

P-titis is tough to get over, but you are doing everything right. Blackie is eating, and that is good, even though she's not eating the way she normally does. The cerenia and onda really help, but in the midst of the flare, no matter what, kitties just feel yucky and won't eat normally, and they just need time along with the medicinal support to get through it. You may want to consider feeding her something else all together - at this point, eating trumps just about everything else. She may now have an aversion to her regular food because she might associate it with feeling crappy.

I'm sure I had all the same thoughts you are now having when Trix was in the midst of it...it is very scary to see our babies so unwell. Unfortunately, recovering from p-titis can be a slow and very stressful process and it feels like time stops moving all together, but you've got your LL team behind you...one day at a time, one step at a time.

17. tiffmaxee

I agree with everything Amy wrote. At least you know what you are dealing with and it is something that you treat the symptoms. You just need to make sure Blackie eats enough to maintain her weight. Food aversions are real so you want to feed her least favorite foods that she will eat. I may have mentioned that the injections of cerenia work better for some cats as the pills can be absorbed as little as 60% according to some studies I have read. Sometimes a larger dose is needed, sometimes injections, sometimes ondansetron and sometimes cerenia and ondansetron together make a huge difference.

DON'T LOSE HOPE!! If you can figure out how to get the nausea and pain under control you will see Blacke eat better.

18. Amy&TrixieCat

To add on to what Elise said...also with the injections you know for a fact that the medicine is getting in; with the pills, kitties can be very stealthy with spitting them out (I learned that Trix was an expert pill-spitter!). With Trix, we did injections for the first week or so of her p-titis flare, because the pilling wasn't going well and only adding to Trix's (and my) stress. That got her over the initial hurdle, and even though the road ahead was still long, it using the injections at first really helped.

I got a nice big vial of Onda for $10.90 at my local Rite Aid....talk about a bargain!!!!

19. Ann & Tess GA

That's a good point, whenever I have to syringe feed Tess I always use a food she normally won't eat, so she doesn't form an aversion to her regular fuds.

Have you tried/considered Slippery Elm Bark syrup? It's very inexpensive and easy to make. I get the powder in the bulk herb section of the health food store, you'll just need a couple of ounces so it's very cheap and goes a long way. I got 1/4th pound and it was under $3.00. Just mix half a tsp. in half a cup of cold water, stir, microwave on high for 1 minute, stir, microwave for 20 seconds more. Then just fill up your feeding syringes and put one in the refrigerator and the rest in the freezer. I get 7 or 8 syringes from a batch and each 10cc syringe lasts 4 or 5 days. Tess get 1 to 2 cc and hour or two before preshot meals. SEB just coats the stomach so any excess acid doesn't irritate it. Just use it one or two hours before or after meds to make sure they get absorbed before the stomach gets it's coating.

We were using cyproheptadine almost daily and now haven't needed it for months! I also have lots extra cypro if you need it, I had to buy a bottle of 100 and have only needed a few, we cut it w/ a straight edge razor blade into 1/16s, or as close to that as I can get. :roll:

20. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I managed to get Blackie to eat 15g of her regular food with nothing in it, and syringe watered almost 4 tablespoons (20mL) into her. Most of it she drank, a bit spilled. I'm afraid of trying another food as it'll raise her #s. However, she's walked by the civvies' dishes, both and wet, and she never went for them. At this point, I can't keep the weight on her other than trying the small meals which I'm working on doing right now.

How many bags are needed? What is the starting amount? I'm not sure if I'm going to start leaning towards the sub-Q, but I need details before making a decision.

21. Amy&TrixieCat

Sometimes we do have to adjust insulin to accommodate another illness/condition, so please don't completely discount trying another food just based on the possibility of her BGs going up.

With the fluids, you definitely do want to clear it with your vet first. Bags come in either 500mls or 1000mls bags. For Trix, she got 150mls a day during the first week of her p-titis; now she is on a maintenance "dose" (for lack of a better word) of 100mls per day. She weighs just under 10lbs now. She lost over 2lbs from the p-titis. ECID and their fluid needs will vary based on all sorts of factors.

Small meals really are perfect for a p-titis kitty, so don't worry that she's eating only small quantities at a time. As Elise frequently reminded during Trix's flare...these kitties sometimes know what to do to help heal themselves, and regulating their food intake in this manner is one of those things.

22. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

For the status quo on the food, she's eating it as long as I don't mess with it. She seems to be having an aversion to it with water in it, so am trying to give her only the food by itself, and syringe watering her otherwise.

A part of me is saying, "Go for the bags. You CAN do this". The rational part is telling me about the cost of this whole thing. I really don't think my husband would go along with it simply because of it. I don't want to be a burden on anyone, either. I know Blackie's my cat, and so far, we've been doing well with the insulin thing. This is a whole other set setbacks. My inlaws felt sorry for her when they were down here for 4 days. I know they both think that it's best to let her go.

To add more stress... My FIL told me on Saturday during our Skype session..."Get a job." I've been out of work for 16 years, and I'm 48. Around here, we have to travel about 20 miles to get to the nearest store.

I'm sorry, folks. You're all doing your best to cheer me up. All I feel like I'm doing is bringing you all down. Please know that I appreciate you all. Very much.

23. Amy&TrixieCat

I know it's challenging when money is tight...we have to make decisions the same way sometimes, and it's never fun or easy.

Fluids may very well be a short-term deal for Blackie. Trix was put on them because of the p-titis, but now she's on them for maintenance because of her CKD. If it weren't for that, she probably wouldn't need the daily fluids. Depending on how much Blackie needs, you might be able to get up to 10 days out of one bag. With any luck, one bag would be all that you need!

I also find that non-cat people just don't get it...as soon as something goes off a bit, they think the best thing to do is put them to sleep. But everyone deserves a chance at recovery, and we've seen so many awesome comeback stories here in LL...the proof is in the pudding! Don't let the in-laws (or anyone else like that) drive this. Blackie is your girl, and only you know for sure what is best for her.

It's awesome that she's eating. Trix isn't a fan of watered down food anymore either.

24. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Re: Approx. Total Cost of Sub-Q (Last Post); Blackie Update

What, roughly, would the total cost be for the sub-q treatment?

I'm guessing that this is done daily, and can it be done in the evening?

Would I need to use a new IV line each time I do this, and is it safe if I were to use the same bag?

Please feel free to add any more answers or info. The more I know, the more I can hopefully change my husband's mind. I'm starting to feel a slight ray of hope here.

If I am able to afford the cost of this, I may use Blackie's supplement money to do so instead of getting her more supplements since they seem to be turning her stomach, or she has developed an aversion to them.

Thank you.

25. Amy&TrixieCat

Prices can vary on the fluids....my vet was VERY expensive, and I couldn't get them locally from any of the favorite sources (long story), but you may be able to get them at Costco or Walgreens. I got my last batch from Valley Vet for something like $5 per bag, but I also ordered a lot so I could get free shipping. I'm not sure how much shipping would be on just a bag or two. Some peoples' vets to sell the fluids at a much more reasonable rate than my own vet, so it's worth checking there, too.

I got my lines from Thriving Pets...their lines are much cheaper and work better than the Valley Vet lines. You don't need a new line for each treatment; we use one line per bag.

You do need a new needle for each treatment. like 20 gauge needles for this. Needles are pretty cheap...I also get those at Thriving Pets.

Last I looked Thriving Pets was out of stock on fluids themselves...they may be back in by now, though.

26. Amy&TrixieCat

Also, you can administer fluids at any point in time - you just need to be sure the previous batch has been fully absorbed. We do Trix's in the evening. With a kitty on insulin, fluids can cause a drop in BGS. With Trix, we had to move her insulin to her flank and did her fluids over her shoulder - that was the only thing that prevented her from dropping too much too fast.

27. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

{{{Angela}}}

I recently told another member who was having a bad day that one of the best things about this forum is that whatever you're going through, there are most likely people here that have been through it before. They understand what you're dealing with and how you're feeling, so you can go ahead and unload it here - vent away! We get it and we're here for you!!! You are not a burden to anyone. The people that offer to help you are doing it because they care and understand. We are a family, and families help each other. Please let us help you.

I understand how you feel about your in-laws' thoughts on Blackie. My FIL was exactly the same way about Cinco and Sasha. He said we needed to rethink things, that we were putting them, and ourselves, through too much and it was time to call it quits. I had to walk away from the computer. Don't let their lack of understanding get to you. Just hold Blackie and love her and do what you can for her. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. You know how important she is to you.

I hope your vet will do the p-titis test so that you know for sure that is the problem. Then we can go from there. Keep your chin up and feel the love from your LL sisters and brothers! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

28. Ann & Tess GA

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: All my family and friends think I'm nuts, they just don't see cats asbeings that we have committed to care for and not just when it is easy.

I know that Anne and Liz had some of Zener's supplies available. You could contact them to see if the still have them.

I had to give Tess squids this spring during UTI, I think the line, needles and one bag of Ringers (which may be all you need) was around $20. It may be even cheaper to order online or call local pharmcies.

29. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

You use the same IV line for the whole bag. You need a new needle each time you give fluids.
    Liz

30. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you. Awaiting the call from vet as we speak.

31. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Angela)))

You can do this.....giving fluids. It seems overwhelming at first and you should probably get a friend or neighbor or your DH to help you the first few times. You will all get used to it. I think it helps if you can give them near a window, if possible, to give her something to watch but it might not be possible if you need to use a coat hanger over a door, for example, to hang the bag.

If you look on the youtube video I did that Ella linked, I list where you can get the supplies. If you can get just one line and a few 20-21g needles from your vet and PM me your address, I will send you a couple more lines and some needles.

I want to add my agreement with Amy on the sups so I'm glad you've stopped them. They can wait.

Sending you many prayers for you and eating/feeling better vines for Blackie.

32. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Yes, and I did, and started to rewatch it again. Thank you for doing that, Marje. I'm pretty sure that I'll be going over it again. I remember how scared I was in the beginning with regards to the insulin, etc. It just seems so overwhelming I guess. Poor Blackie is going to feel like a pin cushion.

33. JenM

JenM Member

The fluids aren't that expensive - and they're super easy. You only need one line, as long as you keep it clean (put the caps back on immediately, etc. You'll need a new needle each time - I get those for 49c each at the feed store. When I had to use fluids on my dog (most recently - I've done cats before too) it was $5 for the line and I think $12/bag of fluids. It got pricey for the dog (70lb) as she was supposed to get half a bag per day. But the cats I've done fluids on usually only need 100-200ml per day, so a bag lasts 5-10 days.

Call around and get the best price. Though, around here, you have to have a vet order to get it. I don't understand why - but whatever. At a local clinic here, they didn't require the actual rx, just a call from the vet that saw the dog.

34. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Just checked with the Walgreens in Terrell (18 mile drive from my place) with regards to the lactated ringer solution, and they don't carry them at all.

On phone with vet now. Had to call them since I haven't heard back.

35. Marilyn and Polly

So many prayers for you and Blackie. Fluids can make a world of difference. Scarey at first, but eventually, like with the insulin injections, it becomes part of the routine. I know you can do it. It'll just take a little getting used to.

People here are giving such great suggestions and offers. Your related family many not understand, but your Lantus Land family is right here with you each step of the way. Imagine us there with you, encouraging you, encouraging Blackie. We understand and we support you.

Light. Prayers.

Marilyn and Polly

36. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Asking the girl at the counter how much they charge for the DEHP, and she came back to tell me that they don't carry it.

Also, my vet said to give Blackie 40cc (aka 40mL) of water minimum a day. I'll update as soon as I hear from her.

37. Amy&TrixieCat

Is the girl at the counter the vet's office? "DEHP" is the plastic in the bag. You want "lactated ringers solution" or "LRS"...your vet's office really should carry them - they are a staple! Maybe the girl at the desk is confused.

I had a very hard time finding them locally. There was (and might still be) a shortage going on, so none of the local places could get them for me. That's how I ended up mail ordering them. I did find one medical supply place that carried them locally, but it was cheaper for me to order them online.

38. Marilyn and Polly

Yes, Angela. You want Lactated Ringers solution, a bag 1000 mls, for fluiding a cat. You want a set line and you want about 10 needles, probably 20 gauge by 1 or 1 1/2 inches. Or whatever Marje's video suggests. I haven't watched it in a while, but I remember it's great.

If you want, I can fast express a bag of fluids, a line, some needles. My Boomer is fluided once or twice weekly for early kidney disease; I have a stash! Easy for me to ship a starting supply. Ask your vet for how much you should fluid and how often. Most cats with p'titis will be fluided daily, 100-150 mls (milliliters, I think!) per day.

PM me with you address if you want to get started.

Marilyn and Polly

39. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Still waiting on the vet to call me back. I told her that I also needed more Cerenia as I'm out. Thank you, Marilyn. I'll keep you posted.

40. tiffmaxee

As for needles, the best are terumo ultra thin wall 20 gauge. Most vets don't carry them. Don't let them give you 18g as they are huge and many cats feel the stick. I actually used the 19g terumo thin wall with Tiffany because she wouldn't stay still long and she didn't mind the stick. Since this is temporary get some from the vet but the 20g.

41. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

It's 3:46 p.m. CST, and I'm still waiting on the vet's call. :roll:

42. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I'm on the phone with the vet right now. She's told me to hold off on the Cerenia for the time being, and see how she does without it. She's also checking to see if she has any bags in stock. They're on back order at this time. They don't carry the DEHP free ones.. Would that be a problem for a starter bag? She also told me that Blackie would get 100mL every 2-3 days as needed instead of every day. She also instructed that I do between the shoulder blades for the time being until Blackie gets accustomed to it, and then switch to shoulder, shoulder, hip, hip, or wherever I can get enough skin to get a tent. I'm excited, but apprehensive about this.

I know that Blackie's #s are usually not nearly as low in the evening as they are in the morning. I may do that in the evenings.

43. tiffmaxee

Nobody seems to be able to get the DEHP bags right now. There is a shortage on fluids, period, so take what you can get.

Did you read the IDEXX ROUND TABLE article on pancreatitis? I respectfully disagree that you should stop nausea medication until Blackie is eating normally. I tried to wean Max many times before he was ready and learned the hard way. I know I am speaking forcefully right now but I have been dealing with this for 5 years and know many others that have too. I won't mention this again and hope I'm not upsetting you. I just care.

44. Amy&TrixieCat

The first couple rounds of SubQs can be tricky, but I am positive that you will do fine! We haven't been able to get DEHP-free bags at all since Trix has been on fluids.

I do agree with Elise, too....My own vet said to wait at least several days past the return of normal behavior before even considering the removal of anti-nausea meds. Maybe your vet will at least give you some to have on hand, so you don't have to make another phone call or another trip in case Blackie needs it.

45. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

and you still have some of us willing to send you some ondansetron. :D

46. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

I would take Rhiannon up on her offer as they really will help if you can't get anymore cerenia

I thought remi was a deaths door when he had his flair but he did eventually pull through. You are doing great. I am not sure about the pain relief blackie is on but my vet prescribed buprenex that I injected from a vial every eight hours and it really helped him to be able to move about and eat more.

Best wishes

Sarah

47. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Thank you, everyone. I will be contacting those that have offered assistance with Blackie's care tomorrow. She's my late Daisy's mother, and I don't want to lose her. Not now, and hopefully not for a long time yet.

48. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Thinking of you and Blackie tonight, Angela. I'm very glad that so many of our LL family can offer help and supplies for Blackie.

Lots of vines, hugs, and scritches,

Ella & Rusty

49. Tiger(GA) and Ruth

Tiger(GA) and Ruth Well-Known Member

Sending tons of prayers and healing vines for you and Blackie- isn't it absolutely amazing the knowledge, love, generosity and caring from the wonderful people of this forum! I hope Blackie feels better soon, and I wish you the best of luck with this battle with p-titis. I would be scared to give sub-q myself, but it sure sounds like you are in the good hands of the fantastic people on this forum for guidance - you can't go wrong with that! :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

50. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

HUGE HUG Angela...I said "I can't do fluids.."...until the time came that I had to for Dakota...and I could and did. You CAN and you'll do just fine - first couple of times are scary but after that, it's SO much easier.

Another HUG and lots of prayers..

51. Georgette and Clare

Georgette and Clare Member

We don't have experience to offer, I'm afraid; but lots of hugs and strong hopeful vines for Blackie's feeling better with all the love and care you're giving him, Angela.

What a wonderful group we have in LL! :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Georgette and Clare

52. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Angela, I'm sorry you're going through all of this right now (or ever), but especially when money is tight. It sounds like you've received a lot of great advice and lots of people are willing to help out. Sending positive vines and feel-better vines to you and Blackie and if there's anything else I can do, let me know.

53. tiffmaxee

I said I can't do fluids but I dif. I said I can't pill my cat but I did. I said I wint test BG but I am. I cried a lot in between. I had to have someone come to my place to teach me the best way to give fluids in my place. I had to enlist the aid of an unfriendly neighbor who hates people but loves cats until she stopped helping and I was forced to do it solo. You too can and will.

54. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

I had help from a good friend who taught me to do home testing for the insulin. The insulin injections I learned a very long time ago when my Mom had a diabetic poodle named Nikki. He was Mom's dog, and yet he allowed only me to give him injections, even with some 'tude. If Mom gave him injections, he would snap at her, and probably bite. He's snapped at me, but that was it.

I just need to come to grips with this and get it done.

55. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

You can do it, Angela!!!

Hugs, scritches,

Ella & Rusty

56. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

How is Blackie this morning? You can do the fluids, they will help Blackie feel better, that's what got me through it, thinking about the cat. :D
    Liz

57. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

Angela, sorry to see what you are going through with blackie .. We just started my parents cat on fluids for kidney failure .. you can definitely do the fluids!! We just tent busters neck area, and insert the needle, bevel side up .. it literally takes less then 5 minutes of him sitting on my lap for the fluids to get in, about 100ml a day .. I don't think he even notices it to be honest .. We change out the needles each day, but use the same line each time .. we bought the fluids from KV pet supply, but I believe our fluids are something other then lactated ringers solution, hmm .. of course I can't think of the name right now, sodium something or other? But it was very cheap, I think 6.00 a bag, three bags maximum per order .. the needles were around .14 each .. You can do this! Sending out prayers to you while you are dealing with all of this ...

58. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Blackie seems to be doing better this morning. She's eaten both small meals (around 21-22g each). The 2nd meal I put in 1 tsp. of water, and she lapped it up. She's eating slower now, not going to town like when she was first diagnosed. I still hold the bowl, and I'm fine with that. She doesn't take nearly as many breaks while eating. There's no purring. No turning away from food unless she's done. I let her be after that.

I woke up to 2 solid poos outside the litter box. I told my husband this morning that although we both prefer her to poop inside the boxes, as long as she's doing that, and peeing inside the boxes, I'll clean it up.

In the meantime, I'll be rewatching Marje's video to ensure that I'm doing it correctly. Perhaps by doing so, my confidence will rise to the occasion. I'll need help, though, and hubby won't be around until Sunday.

59. JenM

JenM Member

As long as you get everything up right, you should be ok doing it solo. I always have. I attach a coat hanger (or any hook would do) to the bag and hang it at head level somewhere. Make sure the line reaches easily to wherever you want to sit. Also, make sure the on/off valve is within reach while sitting.

Hang the bag, set up your line/needle, grab kitty and sit down. Tent the skin, insert the needle and start the drip. Doing it this way, I'm able to have one hand on kitty at all times - but I've never really had a cat try to bolt while doing this. I've always done it in the scruff of the neck and they rarely even notice the needle. One cat did start to notice it after awhile... but I was doing it twice/day for over a week - so there had been a lot of jabs by that point. Even so, the cat just flinched a little right at the poke. Still sat quietly the rest of the time.

Every once in awhile kitty would be "done" before the drip was finished. LRS sprays out pretty fast when this happens, but I just shut the valve off and call it good.

I wish you were closer, I'd gladly help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.