Vet concept food-help with phosphate level

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by phlika29, Apr 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

hi everyone

Remi has been a diet controlled diabetic for just over a year now but I continue to struggle with his IBD (he also has asthma and triaditis).

Following a change in the constistency of the ropocat rabbit food and a change in consistency of his stools I have been searching for something else to swap over to. So far no good, he has had loose stools throughout all my food trials over the last two months. It has got better since adding in canned pumpkin.

Anyway to cut a very long story short I have got hold of some Vet Concept wet rabbit food from Germany but before I try it I just want to check that the dry phosphate level and carb Content are okay.

I normally use Elizabeth's fantastic UK food sheet but Vet Concept's products aren't on there (as it isn't easily obtained in the UK).

Can someone help me work out the % of phosphate as dry matter from photo of the composition data I have attached ( the list on the right).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Sarah

Attached Files:

2. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Hi Sarah,

I make it 1.09.

There's a nifty dry matter calculator here (you only need the moisture % and the phos % to do the calculation):
    http://fnae.org/dmb.html?inputboxm=79&inputboxi=0.25&button.x=108&button.y=15&button=Click

Or, if you want to do it manually, the formula is that you deduct the moisture % from 100 % to get the dry matter percentage. Then divide the phos % by the dry matter % and multiply by 100.

Edited to add: Re the carb calculation, there are two figures given for protein % and I wasn't sure which one to use! But the 'calories from carbs' comes out as around 4.8% using the 'crude protein' %, and 7.8 using the 'digestible crude protein' %.......

Hope all is well with you. :bighug:

Eliz

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  3. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

4. phlika29

phlika29 Well-Known Member

Hi Elizabeth. Many thanks for helping me. You know how bad I am at maths.

I hope you and those you love are well.

I was hoping that the phosphate was a little closer to 1% ad the last blood test suggested kidney issues (but he was dehydrated because of the ongoing diarrhoea). If I remember correctly that is still lower than the ropocat rabbit.

The reason I have gone for another rabbit is that for the last month or so I have tried him on pretty much every thing and every brand that the happy kitty company has to offer ranging from horse, lamb, chicken, turkey. I have come to the conclusion that the high protein low fibre content isn't great for his large intestine.

I am really disappointed in ropocat. All was fine for a year and then the newest rabbit batch looked different (no jelly, solid and much paler) and has affected his blood glucose. This panicked me into changing food and we started on this roller coaster.

I haven't tried kangaroo yet. I thought changing to a new rabbit food maybe easier for him to accept. Vet concept do a kangaroo as well. They also do hare. I will have a look into the food you suggest. I am convinced now that there are more than one thing at play. I think the protein selection helps or hinders his stomach/ pancreas but there is something else that affects how the stool gets formed and they don't necessarily agree with each other!

I am rambling.

Many thanks

Sarah and Remi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.