Vet fructosemine test

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Becki and sox, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

I have an appointment booked with vets for Monday coming (3rd December) she wants to see how Sox is getting on see if he's put on any weight and also do a fructosemine test.

Sox will have only been on insulin for 3 weeks then is it worth doing fructosemine test then or give it a little longer before taking him in for that?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

A fructosamine is just an average of BG over several weeks. Since you’re testing at home, it’s really not necessary or useful for the vet to do one. You’re getting better data on your own and the fructo won’t tell you anything you don’t know.

3. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Oh right ok then. Can I say I don't want one. Cause the vet was saying she would like one to compare to the one he had done to help diagnose he was diabetic.

If I don't need one I'd rather not pay the £110 pounds that it will cost.

4. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

You can definitely say you don't want it. Some vets insist but it's your right to refuse any tests you think aren't necessary. You might just explain that since you're testing at home, you don't really need the fructo and show them your spreadsheet...that worked with my vet. She pretty much ceded control of Gypsy's diabetes to me saying I was doing exactly what she would do and to ask if I needed anything! Some vets are not that easy to work with...you gotta figure out the best way to deal with them, but I wouldn't get the fructo if you can avoid it. This disease is expensive enough without paying extra for a test you don't need!

Becki and sox and Kris & Teasel like this.
  5. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

£110 pounds!!! Yikes!!! Definitely not worth it. Show the vet your spreadsheet and if it's important for her, she can pay for it herself ;) (I'm kidding - don't really be sassy like that). But it really is okay to skip that test.

Becki and sox likes this.
  6. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

What! Seems a bit wrong to me. It is a blood test. Should be around 10/20 quid or so for the actual blood test + vet visit fee.

7. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

My vet here in the US charges $100 for fructosamine/glucose combo. Made the choice of whether or not to get it really easy for me. Definitely not worth that cost!

8. Becki and sox

Becki and sox Member

Thanks guys that's what I was thinking plus it's alot of money to spend out this side of Christmas. The 110 includes the consultation which is £28 pounds but still seems slot for a test.
    I'll probably take him along for a check up so she can weigh him and give him a check over but just say I can't afford that test at the moment.

9. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

As others have said, no need for it. :)

10. PussCatPrince - GA

PussCatPrince - GA Well-Known Member

I agree. A fructosamine test will tell you nothing you don't already know.

The vet will gain more info from your BG tests and spreadsheet than from that test.

Be aware that vets in the main prefer BG numbers to be higher than are routinely seen here.