? Vet says to test after food

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sara and Mr. Kitty, Dec 14, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Sara and Mr. Kitty Member

Mr. Kitty and I went to the vet today for his first BG test post diagnosis (14 days mind you). I home test (thanks to finding this forum) so really no need to go except I feel his 3U of Vetsulin 2x/day is to much and wanted to talk to the vet about my concerns. I test him before food and today his BG was 166 so I gave him his FF and 2.5U. His BG +6 was 87 at the vet. They were concerned and said that’s too low and told me I need to test after feeding and to skip insulin if his BG is under 250. Does that sound right? They want to do a curve Monday, which is fine. I guess my question is do I test before or after food? Thanks for helping us :)

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

The preshot test is done BEFORE food. Otherwise it will be artificially inflated by the food, and when the food wears off he may go to low. I would lower that dose to no more than 1. 1 unit twice a day is the recommended starting dose. 3 is way way too much.

166 is just barely over normal. We usually recommend no insulin if under 200-250 (prefood) in a newly diagnosed cat.

3. JanetNJ

Save your money and do the curve at home. It's more accurate than at the vet.

4. JanetNJ

5. Sara and Mr. Kitty

Thank you!

6. Sara and Mr. Kitty

I thought about canceling the appt. to save the $150.

Beck and Philly likes this.
  7. Sara and Mr. Kitty

JanetNJ likes this.
  8. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

Good advice from Janet.

Sara and Mr. Kitty likes this.
  9. Sara and Mr. Kitty

:bighug::bighug::bighug:
    Oh my gosh I viewed your testing video on YouTube earlier this week and couldn’t find it yesterday to share with my husband and here I was re-reading your responses and saw the link! Yay!
    And seriously, thank you for confirming it’s best to test before food, 3U was way to much and that I should test my boo myself. I don’t have much diabetes management confidence with my newer vet. I was feeling really really down about this whole situation, losing my confidence and second guessing everything. I’m now much more confident thanks to your responses:bighug:

JanetNJ and Barbara & Uncle (GA) like this.
  10. JanetNJ

I'm so glad I could help. I know there is a lot to learn in the beginning and all we want to do is keep our furry friends safe and help them feel better. You guys are doing a great job. This group is here for you anytime you need. If 1 unit proves to be not enough then we will suggest raising the dose in very small 0.25-0.5 increment.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  11. JanetNJ

Looking at your chart I see your dose is all over. Try doing just 1 unit twice a day and see what the numbers do. I think you were seeing high numbers from going too low and bouncing up. Let the numbers settle a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.