My cat, Sam, a 14 year old tabby, was diagnosed with diabetes yesterday based on a urinalysis and the fact that he was peeing twice as much as usual. I got the ReliOn glucometer last night and was able to get a reading, although today it was much easier and I didn't stick myself. Sam relaxed once I showed him the things I was using and took my time. I found that the 30 guage needle lancet used with the spring thingy gave him very little pain (he didn't seem to even notice it) and the ReliOn product needed so little blood that his ear didn't even continue to bleed afterwards. His readings were 323 last night, 189 early this morning, 396 mid-morning and 422 mg/dl after his lunch. Today I went to my vet at the Cat Hospital Of Collin County (with my readings) here in Texas, and she showed me how to use the syringe, measure insulin dosage and tried to assure me that it's not as difficult as it first seems, especially my after reading all the advice and watching so many YouTube videos on diabetes in cats, and to try to relax. Although she did give me a prescription for Lantus, I'm supposed to wait a couple of weeks and see if I can't get Sams levels down with just a change to an all wet food diet. She said his numbers aren't terribly high so it gives me time to try an alternative and also since I just noticed the urine increase last week. He's been on half dry and half wet diet, but all his snacks were also dry and high carb, so maybe leaning toward more dry than wet. He was getting Hills KD because previous bloodwork indicated a borderline change in kidney function and I was hoping to avoid kidney problems down the road. His last bloodwork however showed normal kidney function, but I stayed with the KD. He likes the fancy feast classic, and has also been getting Wellness Core pate so I don't think it will be difficult to transition him off the Hills. I'd gotten a trial size of EVO and he loves it, so I'll use that for treats. The only other problem he's had is occasional vomiting clear fluid mid-night, early morning. He hasn't had the problem for several months but it started up (suspiciously) the same time as the urine increase last week. Previously giving 1/4 pepcid at night for a couple weeks and then just providing a meal very early in the morning (via his auto food hopper), seemed to work till this last episode. I've been giving him 1/4 pepcid since. I have my doubts that the diet change can work, but I'm hoping to see changes in his numbers. I'll follow up with the progress.