Vet visit

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Julee, Apr 23, 2019.

1. Julee

Julee Member

I took Tooters to the vet today for a checkup. This is the first visit since his diagnosis. When we discuss his insulin dosage, she didn’t seem to agree with the reduced dosage of less than 1 unit. She indicated that most cats are on 1-3 units and also had no concern for low numbers.

What do you all think? Should I find a new vet?

On a side note, what are your thoughts and opinions on declawing cats? I have always declawed mine and my daughter will be getting a kitten this summer. This same Vet, doesn’t agree with declawing and said it causes a lifetime of pain.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Ps I also posted this on the general forum

2. Bronx's dad (GA)

Bronx's dad (GA) Well-Known Member

I would not be happy if someone cut off my fingers!

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I agree with the vet on not declawing, it is like taking off the top joint of your finger. Many places, including the province I live in, have now banned declawing as cruelty.

However, I do disagree with her on dose. My cat Neko’s good dose varied from 8.75 units down to 0.25 units. Cats need whatever insulin they need, each cat is different. Your vet isn’t the one giving injections. Just nod and smile and do the right thing on the dose. Most people also don’t home test and you are doing better on that - as far as insulin goes, safety first.

4. Sonia & Leo

Sonia & Leo Well-Known Member

It causes excruciating pain for a long time and the pain can last a lifetime. Don't do it please.

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  5. SpotsMom

SpotsMom Member

A former kitty of mine had litter box problems his entire life because of the pain declawing caused him. It can also lead to back and joint problems because it causes them to walk on flat feet in the front, which lowers the level the shoulders and forces them into an unnatural posture. Please don’t do it :(

Krystina & Nelli likes this.
  6. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I had 3 previous kitties that were front declawed. One had a shoulder issue the rest of his life. One had trouble going up stairs, she had problem with one foot and kept it up when using the stairs. The third cat if she banged it, or if jumping down on hard floor, it split open every time the rest of her life.

I would not do it. Just learn to trim nails on a regular basis. I trim my current 4 once a month, the day they get their flea spot treatment.

7. Sue and Luci

Sue and Luci Well-Known Member

Please continue to read the stickie notes here at the top of this forum for more information about the insulin dose. Unfortunately most vets don't know much about Feline Diabetes and frequently overdose cats! It is much better to err on the side of a lower dose and study your cats numbers for a bit before increasing the dosage. Keep testing frequently and ask for help with dose increases. You'll get a lot of help and feedback from users on this forum.

Tomorrow please post your thread like this: 4/25 Tooters AMPS ### - If you have a question or are thinking of a dose increase - use the 'question mark' and add to your title 'Dose advice help please' or something like that....

Best of luck to you and Tooters...you're in the right place now :)