Vets and difficulty getting refills

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Mocha aka Cold Play, Dec 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

I asked my vet for his first script for Mocha. He wrote for the syringes and the pens but no refills.

I call and ask can I add any refills.

He said let them contact me for refills.

Me, the syringes only last 30 days, can't I have 11 refills?

Him, just let them contact me.

Me, can I have a few refills on the Lantus?

Him, it's a pen, so why do you need syringes.

Me (ARGH inside!) Yes, it is a pen VIAL but I need syringes. The vials should last longer due to not being opened.

Him, well I don't want to refill because she likely needs to change from Lantus.

Me, WHY?

Him, Well, she is too high.

Me, she is doing very well.

Him, (questioning me in doubt) well what is she?

Me, 136.....doing well @ 4 units but had a few reductions and spiked before. 4 units seems to work very well. She had a 90.

Him, Oh that is way too low.

Me, That was her lowest point, she was higher in normal the rest of the day and only happened once.

Him, Well, you can go into seizures when that low.

Me (exasperated.....) I know and I am testing her more than 4 times a day. I said I am not taking you out of the loop, just trying to get the supplies cheapest and she will come back in for check ups but I did not want to keep asking for scripts.

Him, Have them ask.

{Thankfully! I still have a script for the syringes I will just fill on auto because of this craziness and I will have to keep on him for a refill of the pens, if I even get thru them in a year. But, since she went thru almost 10units in 4 months, I expect it to last 1/2 year @ 3 pens of 5 units. Don't need the stress of fighting for scripts for Mocha. I have to fight for my own as well.

Just venting and wondering who else has dealt with this?! I will never tell him how low she goes again. I know now. The point I was hoping to make is she is not sky high like he only saw a few months ago. But, it backfired!

Now to call Mark's Pharmacy to see how they can put it in their system to auto ask for the refill, whether I need it or not, so I have it w/o a delay. I see the syringes being a mere nightmare to get a new script every month!

2. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

Best of luck with your vet! I am dealing with our shelter vet which comes with it's own set of issues. Right now, we are playing the fun "but we have to order Insulin through one of the approved vendors" game. Of course, it's too expensive and they are starting to suggest I switch to ProZinc... even though I could easily get the Lantus from Mark's for a fraction of the cost. :banghead:

Why do you need a script for the syringes though? I just ordered mine through ADW and I didn't need a script for that.

Mocha aka Cold Play likes this.
  3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

Sorry your vet is being so frustrating. Is it a requirement in your state to have a prescription for syringes? Some states have that requirement and some don't. If you don't have the requirement, you should be able to order them threw ADW.

4. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

5. elizabeth and gus

elizabeth and gus Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about your difficulties with the vet. I also had problems obtaining prescription and refills for Gus so I had to change vet several times. Finally I found one that is more cooperative and much cheaper.

6. Marilyn and Polly

Marilyn and Polly Well-Known Member

I order syringes through ADW. My state requires (at least used to) a script for syringes. Although ADW filled several orders without question, they then asked for my vet info to get confirmation. They called the vet. I got the syringes.

My vet lets me do what I think is right for Polly. Yes, he thinks she's often too low, but he also knows I test often and doesn't really bug me. Oh, she wasn't spilling glucose on her last urine test and he suggested that was risky. But he doesn't push it.

Marilyn

7. Mocha aka Cold Play

I believe they are cheaper from Walmart. And, Walmart would need a script. But, good "point." And, always good to have a backup. I have about 7 months left @ Walgreens and I can use them as extra to have on hand when things fall thru if cheaper than ADW. Can you send me the link for what you buy? It is a 6m or 9m thin? Would like the shorter but never had it yet.

8. Mocha aka Cold Play

Will have to check. I know in the local pharmacies would need.

9. Vyktors Mum

Vyktors Mum Well-Known Member

Tee hee my vet about had a heart attack when Purrdy's urine was negative for glucose when he was staying with me, he'd never seen that in a diabetic cat but he also accepts that I know what I'm doing and I did explain to him that was a goal of tight regulation and something I'd expected to see.

I think we do have to keep in mind that generally the vets are doing what they think is right within their experience to keep our kitties safe - it's up to us to try and educate them ;)

10. Mocha aka Cold Play

It seems to be a protect himself mantra. But, what would I do? Sue him for something I did? Not going to happen. He wants to have "control" but he clearly does not know how to regulate her as well as people here! But, for now, I need to be with him because at least he allows me to home test with a human meter and he is not forcing me to haul her in anymore with home testing. Just hanging on for dear life since no one else nearby that I find to be reputable. Would love an all cat clinic but they are quite a hike.

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

When you call Marks, ask for Jordan (he's the pharmacy manager)

If they have a script on file for you already, they may be willing to send you a box of 5 pens when you need it...and they can also call your vet and see if they can work with him

@Mandarin'sMom ....you might want to point out that ProZinc is a U40 insulin instead of a U100 insulin like Lantus....that means a 10ml vial of ProZinc is only 400 units....a 10ml vial of Lantus is 1000 units

The price works out to be about even.

12. Netty N.

Netty N. Member

Oh my Gosh! I had no idea I could buy syringes online - I've just been buying them at the pharmacy all this time because I was given a script initially. I just placed an order on ADW and seemed to have no problem (and they were half the price).
    Boy - between the prescription food, and the Alpha Trak, the pharmacy needles, and non-Canada insulin - this whole diabetes thing could have been A LOT cheaper this year. At least I know now, but I just wish I could get ahold of every poor sap coming out of the vets with a diabetes diagnosis and give them all this good info!

13. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

That's so true!! I hate to think of the number of kitties that are euthanized because their guardians think there's no way they can afford to treat them once their vets get through tallying up the bill!!

Mocha aka Cold Play and Netty N. like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.