vetsulin critical needs program

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by eliseandpony, May 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eliseandpony

eliseandpony Member

has anyone gone through the process of applying for the vetsulin critical needs program? has anyone been accepted? denied? i am considering having my vet attempt to enroll me in this program. yes, i am aware of the risks. i have scheduled the blood draw for my acro and insulin resistance tests at Michigan State, and i do have 2 bottles of vetsulin currently. pony is a high doser and we attempted lantus when she was first diagnosed a few years ago without success. i have for the last few weeks been attempting to regulate on humulin n with no success (see my ss). vetsulin works for her and now that i am home testing i think i will be able to make it even more effective for her. (unless, of course she falls victim to the vetsulin inconsistency issue) i am really curious about how hard it will be to get on the critical needs program. the info on the vetsulin website says the vet needs to show that the pet can not be managed on any other insulin. are they going to force me to try levemir and prozinc before they accept us? or do you think they are just more concerned that legal waivers be signed?

2. kate and lucky

kate and lucky Member

Sorry can't help you.

Are you sure this would still be running with the current FDA warning?

Really wish you'd consider another insulin.You could look in supply closet and see if someone is willing to sell a single vial for you to try. Most of the longer lasting insulins will last a good 8 weeks-that would give you plenty of time to see if it worked well in your kitty.

Good luck

3. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hi.
    Honestly, with the huge inconsistencies that are showing themselves here with users who have tried to work vetsulin these days, I would really look at a long term alternative.

I would think that if the intermdiate acting insulin like Vetsulin is working, prozinc may be a good next try.
    I understand about the challenges of higher doses and the need to be able to shoot flexibly.
    From the users I have been watching here who are using prozinc, it seems to act more like vetsulin than pzi ,albeit a little slower at onset.

I would hate to see you chasing some sort of regulation with vetsulin at this time and end up with DKA or glucose resistance or worse.

I know it is a pain to switch things up, but please consider.
    The FDA warning is serious.

Wishing you guys well, please keep us posted.

4. Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA)

Caryl & Sebastian & Alex (GA) Well-Known Member

They want the waiver and after they get it the patient must deal directly with the manufacturer. The veterinarian is no longer an intermediary between drug company and patient and they can charge whatever they choose.

I am late on this thread but we were just discussing this today. It has nothing to do with wanting people to try another insulin. There just isn't that much Vetsulin around...and, well. It's 'iffy'. :-|

5. Robert and Echo

Robert and Echo Administrator Staff Member Moderator

Re: vetsulin critical needs program/how to apply

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.