Vetsulin dose advice needed on Health

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

We have a user on Health whose cat went from 470 to 65 on 2.5U Vetsulin in 7 hours today. She could use some dose advice - has been all over the place with doses in 9 days.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=6509

2. Olliecat

Olliecat Member

I know this post is wayyyyy late in response, but what I've found with Oliver that caused the same problem is that my vet bumped me up too high, too soon. we went from 1u bid to 2u bid to 3u bid to 3u tid with a change every week and no curve. As soon as I started home testing, I brought the dosage back down to 2u bid and kept him there. The only exception to that dosing is down if he has a reading in the low 100's then I will cut his dose down based on his BG number. You can take a look at my chart and get a flavor for how I cut down - but please remember (and I know you know this...) that every cat is different and theirs may or may not respond in the same manner to cutting doses. I know that it almost immediately straightened out Oliver's numbers and he is much more even keel now.

My only problem now is knowing when to not give a minute bump. His AMPS today was 107 - should I withhold entirely or give a bump as a boost? I will probably wait until after he eats a bit to see if he is regulating on his own this morning. Unfortunately, it seems I'm at a trial and error phase since there doesn't seem to be a ton of info out there on vetsulin for this type of situation. His numbers aren't quite good enough to think he's in remission, but he is definitely trending down (as long as I don't read/shoot too late).

Roz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.