Vetsulin Help with dose after R on Saturday

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mdmelvin1128, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Hi, it's me Mandy again. After our trouble on Saturday with the Humulin R, I put Tigger back on Vetsulin. We had some wonky numbers yesterday, but today has looked pretty good. He just ate, and I tested, he's at 221, and I was wanting opinions on how much to shoot tonight. I'm thinking maybe 1/2 unit, but I wanted some more experienced help.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Re: Help with tonight's dose please

hi mandy, i'm not a vetsulin user but just checking in. help should be along soon. i'm going to see if there is a vetsulin room. also going to put in a word for jojo to come take a look ok. brb
    lori
    and tomtom too!

3. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

hi

are you around to test for the evening? you'll want to get in at least two spot checks before bedtime to make sure Tigger is safe.

4. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Yes, I'll be here all night. We will probably head to bed in about 3 hours, and it seems that he peaks around 6. I guess I could set an alarm and wake up to test.

5. Ronnie & Luna

Vetsulin Help with Dose

Can you EDIT your SUBJECT LINE in your FIRST post within this thread to say VETSULIN Help with Dose to get attention to your thread please? (Like I just did above)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

mandy i put the word out on facebook for hopefully jojo, if not other's to come help with dosing vetsulin. wish i knew more. what side of the country are you on....wondering what time it is for you

7. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Re: Vetsulin Help with tonight's dose please

I'm in Texas, it's 8 here.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

yes mandy edit your subject title (would'nt hurt to include "after shooting R sat." as that will set off some bells reminding folk who you are.
    tigger is very important around here after what you both went thru.

9. Ronnie & Luna

R thread from the weekend:
    viewtopic.php?f=3&t=4553

Oh now I recall this kitty from the R episode, thanks Lori!

10. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Thanks Ronnie! I just went to search for that thread.

11. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

mandy, no pressure, but did you happen to see the 2nd to last post from the other nite where leslie has a bunch of vials of lantus she's selling really cheap as they belonged to her dad who just passed away.
    i can tell you this. your entire experience here on the board and with tigger will be GREATLY enhanced if you do that. the lantus room is a loving smart supportive family and tigger will get the 5 star treatment he deserves there. also a high success rate of getting kitties off of insulin (we call that otj=off the juice)
    think about if mandy. that room is magic.

12. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I actually did send Leslie a message this morning letting her know I was interested in buying some from her, just waiting for a response. How long could I expect one pen to last? I priced Lantus at Wal-Mart today and wooo that stuff is high, so I want to make sure I purchase enough to last a while.

13. Sherri & Stash (GA)

I got 2 months out of my first cartridge. It's possible I could have gone longer, but we had some health issues spring up. Don't know if that was the issue, or if it was the insulin pooping out.

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

so at leslie's cost that's about $10 a month...but remember your dosing may be smaller thus the insulin will last longer. also chance of remission (what a lovely concept) i would think more possible (if possible with tigger) on lantus with the superior insulin as well as the wealth of knowledge in that room.
    so glad you pm'd her.

15. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

btw...tigger's pic...priceless! how adorable is that cat!

16. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I just saw Steve's post in my other thread...very encouraging that they could last 5 months. I'm definitely buying some from her if she still has them.

17. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

awww...thanks! He's lost a lot of weight, nothing but skin and bones now, hopefully we can fix that soon.

18. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

Ok, I just tested him again, and he's at 326

19. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Did you shoot? Or is 326 without insulin?

20. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

21. Sherri & Stash (GA)

I think you should shoot .5u Vetsulin.

I sent PM's to some long-time Vetsulin users to get them to come over here. (We were long time on Vetsulin, but I was never good at analysis!)

22. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

That's what I decided to do, was the .5U. I think he will be fine, I'll check him before bed.

23. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Did I miss a post on the vet update? The on-call vet was the issue with R, correct? Did you go back to your regular vet today?

Just curious...

(and I'm still waving "hi" from Abilene. You may have missed that in your weekend post! :YMPEACE: )

24. mdmelvin1128

mdmelvin1128 Member

I honestly haven't spoken to the vet yet. I'm still trying to figure out what to say to them. Hi from Odessa! Lol

25. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

Hello.
    I just received a pm from Sherri ( thx Sherri) and looking at the wild ride you have had so far. I would take a deep breath, keep the dose low and cautious at the 0.5 you shot tonight unless you have a low number under 70 or so at peak, ( lowest point of the insulin ) then you would want to give a little less, and test daily for ketones and switch insulin asap.

it is great Leslie has some lantus to send you.

I used vetsulin, am mod on the vetsulin insulin support group and have been part of the sorting to regulation for many kitties, however, in lights of the fda recalls and the admitted issues with vetsulin, I am loudly encouraging members on vetsulin to make the switch asap.

You would like to get to a gentle holding pattern now while using vetsulin,and then you do need to find a new vet. I am sorry, and this is not to say your vet may not be wonderful in all kinds of ways, but what they could have done to your kitty by giving you 1 unit of R to administer is irresponsible.

Okay, here is the user guide to vetsulin to help you while you are on it...viewtopic.php?f=19&t=302

Hang in there..you made it through a rough patch-- yay for the board, it is wonderful here--and now you are on the road to being a really knowledgeable and proactive caregiver.

Ask lots of questions :)

Kimmee

26. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Hi, Mandy. I am another long-time vetsulin user - Kimmee has held my hand many times way back when.

I think .5u was ok tonight, but I see that he got a huge drop from 1u yesterday and again this am. So I am hoping that you can stay up, or get up, to test at +5 or +6. At least leave food down for him.

You may find that he needs even less insulin than .5u - like .25u.

I also agree with Kimmee that changing insulin to levemir or lantus is a good idea. Vetsulin is just so iffy right now that I don't trust it. I have had very good luck with levemir and wish I had switched sooner :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.