vetsulin issues

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by mdoncses, Jan 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdoncses

mdoncses New Member

Hi guys,
    I've have read your site for a long time, but never posted. My cat Micah has been on vetsulin for the last yr and has been well regulated. I just received a letter from the vet stating that they are not going to carry vetsulin anymore. My problem mostly is that Micah has done really well on it and I don't want to switch because this would be the third insulin we have been on. The first was pzi vet. He did ok on it, but not as well as on vetsulin. He actually plays and is happy. Which makes me soo happy. The vet is suggesting glargine, but I don't know what the difference between this and vetsulin is and if he is doing so well on vetsulin why should I switch. Please help if you have any suggestions. I'm thinking about just ordering more vetsulin online, but I really don't know at this point and he needs more insulin in less than 2 weeks.

Thanks,
    Melinda and Micah

2. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Your vet is not selling Vetsulin anymore because there is an FDA warning on it and the manufacturer is advising vets to switch their patients to another insulin. I just switched over to Lantus (glargine) and am happy I did. others on this board know a lot more than I do and can offer advice on which to chose. Try checking out the info for newly diagnosed cat on the FD main page. Or post a message in one of the Insulin User Groups,

Others should come along to advise you soon.

Welcome, this is a great site to find your answers.

3. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

Ann is correct. Your vet is not carrying it anymore because vets have been advised to switch their patients to another insulin given the mixture problems with vetsulin recently. see:

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=311
    viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1678

pzi vet has been discontinued so you would be hard pressed to find it again.
    there is a new pzi out called ProZinc and we have a few people on it here now. It supposedly works along the same lines as pzi vet.
    and most people are going to lantus (aka: glargine) or levemir. not alot of vets know much about using levemir in kitties just yet. so most seem to be going to lantus and given that soooooooo many people are using it these days and having great success with it, getting help and guidance isn't a problem that's for sure. :)

4. Sweetgrass & the Furries

Sweetgrass & the Furries Member

hello.
    I am sorry you are having to make this decision.

Here is some info on lantus and levemir. They offer a shallower curve than vetsulin and a gentle action that seems to agree with many kitties
    lantus ( glargine ) or levemir have very similar action in kitties we have seen on this board

I do encourage you to make the switch asap, the vetsulin is flawed and can cause inconsitencies.

LANTUS & LEVEMIR: More Information

5. mdoncses

mdoncses New Member

Does anyone know how much the cost difference is between vetsulin and glargine because I pay $40 for vetsulin and I used to pay $170 for pzi vet (and I don't want to pay that much again). I just recently bought a house and want to make sure that the cost is not to far apart.

Thanks again
    Melinda and Micah

6. LynnLee + Mousie

LynnLee + Mousie Well-Known Member

i want to say the lantus cost about $100 but the key is to have the vet write the prescription for the pens, not vials. one vial won't last as long as 5 pens because it doesn't start to deteriorate until you start using it, if that makes any sense.

7. mdoncses

mdoncses New Member

Yeah that does make sense and thanks for the advise. I guess I'm calling the vet tomorrow for a prescription.

Thanks,
    Melinda and Micah

8. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Melinda, please be sure to go to the Lantus forum in the Insulin Support Groups and read the sticky notes. Lantus is handled very differently from Vetsulin as is the nadir you can anticipate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.