Vetsulin.. read it was not going to be used anymore.

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by buddybean, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buddybean

buddybean New Member

I have used Vetsulin for 3 yrs now. Buddy has been up down and all around the charts. Little short synopsis of my house hold... 8 cats including Buddy. When I found out he had diabetes I did the food change. googled my A off to find good food for them to make sure Buddy didn't get any wheat gluten,brewers rice. corn meal. any carbs. I now buy wellness core, blue wilderness, natures variety instince chicken per all that I read about no graines. I do locate Buddy in a separate room at night and ck his sugar which seems to be so high nd I can't figure out why. I home test the poor kitty and try not to prick the same place. I will say I put him to bed in the living room with a can of FF wet food sprinkled with the good (expensive ) dry food. My question is... why is his sugar so high some times with the GOOD food I feed him and his friends. Buddy has actually gotten fatter since I changed their food....???
    Jan

2. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

One of the problems is that no. Matter how good quality dry food is, it is still dry food and that alone is a reson oit is not good to feed. Have you looked at dr lisa's Site, where she explains about dry food?

It ois here. www.catinfo.org

Also vestulin was recalled months ago and even the manufacturer says not tpo use it and change to another insulin. Now $ay be a good time to checl out the isg forims and choose a diff insulin

Personally I recommend eith lantus or levimer

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

And where on ear are you poking

How are u doing it. Freehand or woith lancet device

What gauge lancets are u using. The higher the # the thinner the needle
    You may need to get a thinner one

4. buddybean

buddybean New Member

I make sure that I warm Buddy's ear up before I poke him, I use a lancet with a 30 gauge needle. If his sugar is high like it was 466 the other day so I gave him 4 units of insulin. I had to go to work that night so I didn't get to ck it several hrs later. My vet told me that the reason my cats are fat is because I am feeding them wet food. I think I need to find another vet. Thanks for your advise. I thought I was doing so well but I guess I haven't
    Jan

5. Lisa and Merlyn (GA)

Lisa and Merlyn (GA) Well-Known Member

You are doing well, just maybe fine tuning;) those dry foods are better than others but because they are grainfree, they also tend to have higher fat content than other foods with more carbs. That maybe why Buddy is fatter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.