? Vetsulin to Lantus brand new box of u40 syringes

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Tiger and the squid, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Tiger and the squid

Tiger and the squid Member

So after a few months of ... mild success with vetsulin, my vet has decided to switch Tiger over to Lantus. I have a pen waiting for me at home, and a vial on the way to me (Just to see what's going to be easier for me to use)

I've been doing some of the reading, and discussing with my vet, when something jumped out at me. My vet specifically said to use u100 syringes, and I have u40. I'm really glad I noticed this before I started him on the insulin because apparently there is some conversion I'm going to have to do.

To get 2u of Lantus using my u40 syringes, I'll actually want to pull ... considerably less? Should I just not use my u40 at all?

2. Beth 73

Beth 73 Well-Known Member

You need u100 syringes for Lantus . I’ll tag some help for you from experienced eyes. I don’t believe there is a conversion between the two size syringes . If you got the u40s from your vet surely they would exchange them . That’s what I had to do when Elmo switched .

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018
  3. Beth 73

4. Tiger and the squid

I have searched google and come across some old threads pretty heavily advising not to attempt this, so I'm certainly quite leary (And seriously SO SO SO grateful my dumb self even NOTICED this because I definitely would have accidentally killed my cat)

Unfortunately, I did order my syringes online ($15 versus $40) so I won't be able to return them to the vet. But at least I'll be able either stop in and get some, or even put off using the Lantus until I can get new syringes ordered.

Beth 73 likes this.
  5. Beth 73

You are not dumb ! There is so much to learn and when you switch insulins there are yet more new things to adapt to . Glad you caught yourself and hope you can recoup the money spent on the u40 syringes . Lots to learn , for sure :)

6. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

There is a conversion chart, but check, and double check when using it . I would get the U100 as soon as you can, but until then you can convert.

conversion chart

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

You can get U100 syringes from Walmart their brand, Relion. That is what I use. I use 31 gauge, 3/10 ml, 8 mm length. A box of 100 is about $13.88

8. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Bobbie, unless I'm misreading it, it looks like this conversion chart is for using a U40 insulin in a U100 syringe. I think she was talking about doing the opposite, using a U100 insulin in a U40 syringe (which means she would need to inject LESS,hard to do with such small doese)

9. Bobbie And Bubba

It can go either way. Look down about mid way:

However, it is possible to use the below conversion chart to convert from U-40 to U-100 or U-100 to U-40 effortlessly. Simply find the amount that you need to use and find the appropriate conversion in the adjacent column

Jill & Alex (GA) likes this.
  10. billysmom (GA)

billysmom (GA) Member

Ok, gotcha! Whew :) Sorry 'bout that.

11. Bobbie And Bubba

No problem, I never mind someone double checking me. :)

12. Tiger and the squid

Thank you so much for all of the responses! I looked online but walmart's website can be misleading. I'm done work a little early tomorrow - I'll pop in and check it out.