Vetsulin to Lantus change

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Marylou and Malika, Feb 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marylou and Malika

Marylou and Malika Member

My kitten is dropping too fast and too low on the Vetsulin. We've been at this for about 1.5 months, and her dose of Vetsulin is .25U twice a day and she's still dropping hard. So I'm considering trying Lantus. My plan was no Vetsulin tonight and start again tomorrow with the new insulin. I don't know what dosage the vet is going to recommend.

Does anyone have suggestions / experiences they can share?

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Vetsulin is very different from Lantus. Given what your kitty is experiencing with Vetsulin, it would likely make sense to start at the same dose. The starting dose of Lantus is typically based on the kitty's ideal weight (initial dose = 0.25 x kitty's ideal weight in kilograms). For an average cat, this calculates out to about 1.0u give or take. However, if Malika is dropping into lower numbers on 0.25u of Vetsulin, it would make sense to start there.

If you can recall, can you fill in the "U" column your spreadsheet with Malika's dose history? It will help to see how your kitty was responding to the amount of insulin.

There are a few other factors to keep in mind. You are currently using U40 syringes. Lantus is a U100 insulin and you will need U100 syringes -- preferably ones that are marked in half unit increments. Specifically, you will want U-100 3/10cc syringes with half unit markings are the best to use for drawing Lantus or Levemir from vials, cartridges, and pens. BD Ultra-Fine, CarePoint Vet, Monoject, GNP, UltiCare Vet Rx, Sure Comfort, and ReliOn are just some of the brands available with half unit markings. Needle gauge and length is your preference Syringes come in ½ inch or 5/16 inch needle lengths. Needle gauges are 29, 30 or 31 (31 being the thinnest).

Vetsulin dosing is based on your pre-shot test value. With Lantus, doses are adjusted based on the nadir. Unless a dose reduction is indicated, doses are held for at least 3 days/6 cycles (except for the initial dose which is held for a week in order to establish the insulin depot), Unlike Vetsulin, Lantus is a depot-type of insulin.

Information on the depot as well as a huge volume of information are in the sticky notes at the top of the board. Please let us know if you have questions. There is usually someone around 24/7 -- we have members from all over the world -- who can lend a hand.

Marylou and Malika likes this.
  4. Marylou and Malika

Marylou and Malika Member

Thank you for your thoughtful response. That's a lot to ingest.
    I pick up the prescription tomorrow so she gets a break tonight.
    Thanks for the guidance on the U column. I'm just getting used to all of this. I feel horrible about dropping my little girl so low so frequently. I'm hoping less risk of that and less ear testing with the Lantus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.