Vetsulin to Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Heather & Ducote, May 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

Ducote was started on Vetsulin on 5/08/20. His numbers stayed very high and even at the lowest dips, the numbers were still considered high. After some research I decided to give Prozinc a try to see if I could get better results. I ordered the insulin from Chewy.com yesterday and hope to start him on it around the middle of June. Today, out of the blue, he gave me some pretty good numbers (still currently on Vetsulin). I am hoping that he shows the same progress tomorrow (and the next day and the next day ;)). I still plan on switching to Prozinc because I hear that it is better suited for cats and also because I already purchased it. Here are my questions:

1) If he is on 4.5 units of Vetsulin currently, do I go with the same dose when he starts the Prozinc?

2) When I start the Prozinc, will it be like we are starting back from square one? Will his numbers be all over the place or super high again while I try and find a dose that works or are the two insulins similar enough that it should be an easy transition?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Panic

Panic Well-Known Member

You will maintain the dose you're currently on. It may take a few days to see a difference but it's not the same as finding the right dose, it's more adjusting to the insulin change. I saw improvement on the first cycle from Vetsulin to Prozinc but that isn't always the case. :)

3. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Some cats can have a marked drop in numbers with a switch to a new insulin but there's no to way to know if you're cat will respond in that manner. Just be on your toes and get some early tests. Generally, you can make a unit-to-unit switch but some members will reduce the dose slightly.

Because you're starting at the same dose -- or close to the same dose of Vetsulin -- you're not going to have to back track by starting at a low dose. At this point, it's hard to know if Ducote's numbers are high due to the short duration of Vetsulin or if your kitty needs more insulin. That blue at +4 today suggests that this may be a good dose. You'll have to wait and see how Ducote responds to this dose of Prozinc.

4. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

Thank you for the responses! :cat:

When I ordered the Prozinc, I sent my vet an email letting them know that I ordered it and that Chewy would be contacting them. I also inquired about the starting dose (same as current with Vetsulin or different?). She just wrote me back and said to start him on 1.5 to 2 units twice daily. He is currently on 4.5 with Vetsulin. Is she just misinformed or maybe giving me what she assumes are safer numbers....?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

With your cat still being so high is start at 4.5. I think this is a great move as ProZinc should last longer. My cat is on ProZinc.

6. Heather & Ducote

Heather & Ducote Member

Thanks! Those black numbers are SO frustrating and I just didn't want to start back at square one if I didn't have to :confused:

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Once chewy gets the permission from the vet they usually get the insulin to you in two days. They pack it really well with more than enough ice packs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.