Vetsulin to Prozinc

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by rtring12, Mar 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rtring12

rtring12 New Member

Hi everyone !

I am new to the forum. My cat has been on vetsulin for about 2-3 yrs. now and out of the blue the vet changes
    her insulin to Prozinc. On Vetsulin she was getting 6 units twice a day and now on Prozinc only 1-2 units twice a day.
    She has been on the Prozinc for only a week and now she is at the vet,very sick - probably ketoacidosis due to
    hyperglycemia. Does anyone see a problem with this. I know there has been a recall on Vetsulin, but cat has been
    perfectly fine until now. What gives??? :sad:

Last known bg was still over 400. Vet giving IV fluids, antibiotics for possible secondary kidney infection and hand feeding w/syringe.
    Food: Prescription diet MD can food and Purina DM dry food.

2. Hope + (((Baby)))GA

Hope + (((Baby)))GA Well-Known Member

Sending good vibes that your kitty will be okay. I haven't had to switch yet, I stockpiled my PZI, but there is a ProZinc user forum under Insulin Forums. From the little bit I have read it seems that this PZI ProZinc takes more insulin than those of us using IDEXX PZI are used to. Others using it will be a big help to you.
    Are you hometesting?

3. Hillary & Maui (GA)

Hillary & Maui (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm sorry your cat is ill.

Please share more information so that we can better assist. Otherwise, we are all speculating and guessing and that's not what you need right now.

Are you home testing?
    What are the BG's?
    What foods are you feeding?
    Are you testing for ketones at home?

It could be a bunch of things that went wrong, please share as much info as you can.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.