911 Vetsulin

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Toby98, Apr 19, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toby98

Toby98 New Member

Toby's blood glucose was 174 before I fed him and I gave him 2 units of vetsulin. Should I give carol syrup or dry food to prevent hypoglycemia????

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi! First, BREATHE! I haven't had a chance to look up your previous postings so I'm sorry if I repeat something. This forum isn't very active so I'm going to post a link to it over in Health.

Just having 1 number in relation to the amount give doesn't give a clear enough picture to tell you anything. No you don't need to give Karo syrup or ANY dry food to prevent hypoglycemia - you need to test to prevent hypoglycemia.

HUMAN METER or ALPHATRAK PET METER?

Because you did shoot 2 units of vetsulin with a bg of 174, begin testing about 1.5-2 hours after the shot and test every 1.5-2 hours. If you see a number under 60, retest immediately to be sure it was right then feed just a small spoonful of regular low carb food. Test every 30-45 minutes until you see the numbers rising again. You usually don't want to give him food unless he goes below 50 but since you're new to this dance, we don't want you to have to learn those steps yet.

I'd love to watch for you thru the night but hubby isn't doing well and must help put him to bed.

HUGS!

3. Nederland

Nederland Member

Did all go well with Toby?

4. Elizabeth and Bertie

Elizabeth and Bertie Well-Known Member

Jennie, we didn't find out what happened...
    It seems 'Toby98' also posted a couple of times on the main Health forum. Apparently the blood glucose dropped very low. The caregiver said they were going to give glucose/syrup; but made no further posts.....
    I really hope the cat was OK, but....maybe we'll never know.... :(

This case has rather 'played on my mind' and is one of the reasons why I'd really like to see some clear guidelines for dealing with low numbers on Caninsulin/Vetsulin....

Eliz

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

The poster has not been back since they originally posted according to their profile:
    Toby98 was last seen: Apr 19, 2016

It is worrisome when we don't hear back from a serious situation.

Eliz I totally agree there needs to be some clear guidelines for Caninsulin (Vetsulin) It seems that we have had more than the normal of newcomers who are using this insulin and some are coming with either bad advice or no advice from their vets.

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sticky: Caninsulin/Vetsulin User Guide
    - Written by Kimmee Sweetgrass with contributions by jojo and bunny(GA) and Y (two experienced and knowledgeable women in the world of feline diabetes). Kimmee used caninsulin with her cat, Abby, who then became diet controlled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.