Vettybean... not good at all...

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sherri & Stash (GA), Jan 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Sherri & Stash (GA) Member

Been running higher-than-normal numbers the past week or so. Stash's breath is worse than normal and Wednesday night we noticed a hunk of skin hanging from the right upper gum area. He is eating well, and the 5 P's are good.

Good luck vibes please!

Sherri

2. Jill and Remi

Jill and Remi Member

Re: Vet appointment this afternoon

Sending good luck vibes. I wonder how there was a hunk of skin hanging. I hope he feels better soon and starts giving you lower numbers.

3. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Vet appointment this afternoon

sENDING PRAYERS AND THE "GOOD" VIBES~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

4. Sherri & Stash (GA)

Just got off the phone with the vet, and Stash tested positive for FeLV. Not the news we were expecting to receive at all. He's down 2 1/2 lbs and was running 103 temp.

Keytones are at 3, there's trace blood in his urine, and I don't know what all else. We're starting on antibiotics, and he's doing a treatment of immunoregalin (I have no clue if that's the word). Said IV therapy twice a week. He's writing it all down so DD can bring it all home with her.

My head is spinning with this, on top of being in bed sick. So we'll research through the weekend and decide on the ultimate course of action.

5. cjleo

cjleo Member

Sherry,

Did they use a combo test for the FELV testing? In the last month, we have had a number of positives for FELV on the combo test. A subsequent combo test and the IFA test we had done were both negative. We are questioning the combo tests at the moment with the manufacturer. My rescue handles close to 1,000 cats a year. So when we we an unusual pattern, we start doing some questioning.

You might ask your vet to retest Stash for FELV using the combo test. And before I would start any treatment for FELV, I would ask the vet to confirm the positive with an IFA test.

Any questions, PM me.

Vibes for negative tests!!!!

Claudia

6. Terri and Lucy

Terri and Lucy Member

I'm so sorry--that's a lot to get hit with at one time. Keeping our paws crossed that it's a false positive.

7. Sherri & Stash (GA)

FeLV+

Claudia, I'm not holding out hope for a False Positive...

Lesion on gum (the skin we saw hanging)... gingivitis... tartar... stomatitis.
    Right lymph node is inflamed.
    103 temp (1.5 degrees higher than normal)
    Weight loss (2.5 lbs in past year)
    Bladder infection
    Urine PH 6
    Keytones 3 with Ketonuria
    Lethargic

He received an antibiotic shot in his right hind leg. We have Felovite II vitamin gel (??? loaded with glucose???), Baytril 22.7mg, and he had to order the ImmunoRegulin to start that regimin. Vet says twice weekly for 4-6 weeks, then reevaluate condition.

Looking back, the weight loss has probably been since around October-November. Also, we noticed an increase in salivation about the time we started on Lantus (mid-November). Not a clue if that is a symptom of FeLV, but the virus is spread through saliva so it would seem logical.

Just doing a lot of thinking out loud here...

Obviously the ketones are an immediate issue (never before dealt with them). But the vet didn't suggest IV fluids right now. Does Ketonuria differ from Ketoacidosis?

8. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Ohh Sherri, sending prayers...

9. Victoria & Sundance

Victoria & Sundance Member

Sherri... I'm sorry you got that news. I'll hope for a false positive if you don't mind... well, prayers do amazing things.

Otherwise, you know that you have a world of support here and so many people have had to treat for all those things. You'll be in good hands so please keep us posted.

((((Sherri & Stash))))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.