Vial of Lantus Losing Potency?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Eva & Butters, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Everyone ~

We've been using our vial of Lantus for two months now, and I've read that it can be used much longer sometimes. The Lantus is clear, no cloudiness or floaties. I'm wondering how to tell if our vial is losing potency. Would we start seeing higher numbers across the board/throughout the day? Or could we see some lower numbers during the day/night but higher preshot numbers due to lack of duration of the Lantus?

Thanks for your help with this.

Eva

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Generally, numbers just get weird. It's almost like the effect is uneven. Most people, if they think there is a problem with their insulin will use a new vial or pen. You might want to consider switching to the Solostar pens since they contain less insulin and thus, less of a chance that the pen will go bad.

It's also common for your pre-shot to be higher than your mid-cycle numbers.

3. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Thanks, Sienne. We're getting a new vial and, after using it, will switch to the pens. You don't happen to know of any pharmacies in the Chicago area selling single pens, do you? I phoned Costco, Edward Hospital's pharmacy, and several other places with no luck. We're in Naperville.

"It's also common for your pre-shot to be higher than your mid-cycle numbers." -- Thanks for reminding me of that. I've just got to learn patience. After having our cat Willie go into remission in six weeks on Lantus, I know I have unrealistic expectations for Butters. He may not honeymoon, but I want good control for him.

Thanks again, Sienne. Your postings are always so wonderfully helpful.

Eva

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

The one place I know for sure that sells individual pens is the UIC medical center outpatient pharmacies. I'd check with the larger hospital/med centers in the suburbs unless you have a trip into the city planned.

5. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Thanks for telling me about the UIC medical center outpatient pharmacies. My husband works in the city, so I'll let him know.

Eva

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Eva:

There are several pharmacies on campus. Use the one on Wood St. (840 S. Wood St.). I'd also call ahead and verify about the pens (312-996-6887). They have some goofy people who staff the pharmacy. If they give you a hard time, call back or ask to speak with a supervisor. Generally, they are knowledgeable and helpful but there are one or two people there who are "difficult."

7. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Will do. Thanks a lot for the info, Sienne.

Eva

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Good luck, and hoping that someone will come through for you. Have a great day! :D

9. Eva & Butters

Eva & Butters Member

Hi, Angela ~

Hope you, Blackie, and the rest of your furry crew all have a great day too!

Eva

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.