Vicky and Sheila question on dosing

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Peggy and Mickey (GA), Jul 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Peggy and Mickey (GA) Well-Known Member

Just when we get going I have to throw a snafuuuuu in the mix..

Problem: I have to be out of town over night Sunday in Phila @ Jefferson Monday morning at 0745am

Now I have to work tomorrow Sunday from 2p-6p then at some point drive to Pa. Sooo, I can shoot anytime after 3pm on Sun..
    Monday morning I have my vet tech coming over. She has a job so can only come over around 7:30 am. SO I need to figure what to shoot.
    I will be back sometime in the afternoonish, Monday . But Tues, I have to go back to the 11a-11p shots.
    Do you have any suggestions on how to shoot to where I don't totally mess him up?

2. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

How did he do today on the 1.5U?

When you said you can shoot anytime after 3Pm tomorrow, but have to work 2pm to 6pm tomorrow, did you mean to say you can shoot anytime after 6PM?

Didn't you already move his shot times up to 11AM/11PM? So a 7:30 PM shot to align it with the Monday morning one would be +8.5.

Since I assume you would leave after you gave the shot, I am tempted to tell you to skip tomorrow's PM dose completely and just let the vet tech come over Monday morning and give him the 1.5U. Is she going to test his BG?

I know it's not good to skip a shot, but any shot at +8.5 is risky, even a half dose. You could treat the dose as if it was TID and divide by 3 I suppose and give only .5U in the morning, .5U Sunday night at +8.5 and then the vet tech should be able to give 1.5U the next morning. You might even want to start tonight with .5U instead of a full dose. That way his shed is depleted enough for the +8.5 tomorrow night.

I hope I have the current schedule correct. What were his numbers today? Is he still blue? You're right, it's a wacky time, but that's why I'm being very conservative with the dose. We really don't know where he could go if you give too much too early.

Does this help?

3. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

Yes I did mean 6pm .
    I was distracted at work while typing that. Sorry for the confustion.
    I think I will skip the shot tomorrow night. And go with the vet tech shot in the morning. And she will test the BG.
    I have a pmps at 109. Now I am getting a knot in my stomach here.
    I only got a +2 today which was 146 Then I was off to work.
    Thank you for your help!

4. Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin

Vicky & Gandalf (GA) & Murrlin Well-Known Member

Given his numbers today I don't see the harm in skipping the shot tomorrow night.

What a break through for Mickey. Don't worry too much. I'm sure he'll be fine. I would worry more if I gave a shot under these circumstances than not. I'm sure that's what you made your decision on and nothing wrong with that.

5. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

I second, or third, the idea of skipping tomorrow's PM shot because of the suddenly low numbers he is throwing out there. That should put the Monday am shot is a save place time-wise. You might consider an instruction such as "below 150 shoot only 1u" since it will be, what 16 hrs before you get home to shoot him? He will be alone all day?

I'm only being cautious because of the lows today and yesterday and not having the (recent) data to show what he will do on 1.5u and a low PS. True, it will probably make his numbers all wonky and he will loose momentum, but better to be on the safe side.

6. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

He will be alone all day until we get back. From 8pm till Vet tech comes for food and shot in am.
    It is an outpatient surgery (for my son) So hopefully we will be home late afternoon. And before that darn rush hour Philly traffic. Last week we drove up there, people were beeping at me!! Do you know they don't stop for red lights down town? Neither did I :lol:
    @ +8 he was 155 and amps 7/17- 141

7. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Hope all goes well with your son's surgery (I didn't even know you had a son :roll: ). And the traffic gets out of your way! They don't stop for red lights around here much either, but the county has been installing red light cameras that catch cars in the intersection and automatically issue tickets, so maybe that will make people stop for the red light.

Mickey is still putting out some great numbers. Even more reason to be cautious on the dosing and skipping a shot when no one will be home to monitor him.

8. Peggy and Mickey (GA)

I know its funny we all have our cats...and then there are the children...LOL just kidding
    No really, yes I have one son, he is 28.

We have been lucky with dosing, just increasing the way we have. Now I will have to be very precise.

I would sit and read everyones posts and doses, saying, oh my, .7 pushing drops out of the syringe...yikes.
    Hopefully we will get there too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.