Video: Home testing cats that hate to be tested

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by MauiGuppy, Jul 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MauiGuppy

MauiGuppy Well-Known Member

I posted this over on Health but thought I'd share it with you guys too.

Junior and I shot a YouTube video today on how to home test on cats that hate to be home tested. Thousands of cats were auditioned and as it turned out, Junior was perfect for the part.

Thanks again to everyone for helping me transition from paw to ear. I hope that I can pay it forward to someone who also struggles with a fractious kitty.

2. Mike&Buddy

Mike&Buddy Well-Known Member

Very well done. I guess you and him where a little nervous about being movie stars! ;-)

I am blessed I suppose, my Buddy just sits there and lets me do it all and it takes about 30 seconds for the whole routine. I use a cocked and locked sticker with a med-low setting. I know some cats freak from the "click" sound of it being used but Buddy seems to not notice.

You both did good. May it get better as time goes by.

Good luck and blessings!

Buddy (Oh, yeah- and Mike too)

3. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Great video!

I see you're "free-hand" poking...does using the lancing device freak Junior out even more? I know some cats are iffy about the device, but fortunately Trix is OK with it - I don't know if I could do the free-hand thing!

Amy

4. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow, I give you five stars. It's a great video on cats that hate testing! You're right as all the videos I watched on testing were on easy to test kitties, like my Maggie. You are so gentle and patient while doing it, even while getting nipped. I also use just the lancet and have more success than the pen. Is it now getting any easier with Junior, or was this just a recent testing?

5. bev5477

bev5477 Well-Known Member

Very helpful.

6. Natalia & Enana

Natalia & Enana Well-Known Member

Good job! People need to see both sides of the equation and how to solve it :lol: :lol: :lol:

Enana does not like free-hand poking, so I was happy when she got used to the pen.

7. MauiGuppy

I'm glad you guys found it helpful! It's weird hearing my voice on YouTube. I sound like a muppet.

This was shot yesterday at +11 and PMPS. I was planning to record only +11 but his PMPS so was hard to get that I thought recording my third attempt at PMPS might be beneficial. Even though he bit me all those times, what you saw is a huge improvement over what we were going through before. Practicing has increased my confidence which in turn has kept me calm and made me faster, which in turn has made Junior less ornery.

I had trouble with the pen because I couldn't cock it again fast enough for double pokes. Eventually I might try it again. The video made me see that I might be jabbing to hard.

8. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

That was very well done. Thank you for sharing, and I'm sorry to see that you got injured in the process. :( Is he getting better?

9. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Bonnie: you don't sound like a muppet and holy cow. That's all I have to say. You are a saint. Mike and I have always known we are super blessed with Gracie's reaction (or lack thereof) to testing. She just assumes the position...if I forget something, she lies there and waits until I get back. Sometimes she purrs. I knew some cats didn't like it but you have opened my eyes and like I said...you are a saint.

What an invaluable thing you have done for all newbies and as you said, even oldbies!!! Great video, great learning tool. FDMB standard!!! We need a forum for learning videos!!!

Thank you for doing this.

10. beccalecca

beccalecca Member

Thanks for the video. Maybe we can give ear poking one more try. We found the paw more reliable to actually get some blood and before I knew it the paw was all we're using. Maybe on the in-between PS pokes we can practice!

11. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Only one thing--Black cats need to be poked on the inside of the ear, as you cant see on the outside--
    Moonie is always facing forward & I come from behind her, give her food right in front of her, & as she is eating, I use the lancet device & then the meter..
    This is a good video for newbies--There are others on the site here too..Nice video!

12. Traci and Boomer

Traci and Boomer Well-Known Member

Hi -

You've got quite a good boy. I can't believe he stays in the towel for you. I think it would be much less painful for him and lots easier if you used a poking device. I don't think it needs to be done that hard to get him to bleed. You can also use your rice sock as the thing to "lean against" instead of a cotton ball to get rid of one of your steps (switching from the sock to the cotton ball) - that will make the process a little faster. If he's bleeding through the ear underneath then you're doing it too hard.

13. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Great job!! That is a wonderful video and Junior is definitely star material. I will second what Roni says on the black cats thing. They need to be poked from the inside. You won't be able to see their blood on their ears through the fur.

It is always interesting to see how others do it. I don't heat the ear and don't straddle Tarragon. That only made him upset. Instead, we sit on the couch with him in between the couch arm and me. I also do the free hand poke because the poking machine sounds scares Tarragon.

14. MauiGuppy

Thank you for all the nice things you guys have said. I'm also taking your suggestions to heart and will do anything to make it better for Junior. Easier said than done -- I pierced Junior's ear tonight with the lancet device. Boy do I feel guilty about that! Just need practice.

Junior is actually gray and the vein is easy to spot. The Neosporin helps bead up the blood so it's easy to see.

I hope I can do that one day!

15. Amanda

Amanda Member

You are a saint! I honestly don't know if I would have pushed forward if I had a cat trying to take off my fingers in the beginning! Your kitty is lucky to have a Mom who cares so much. :) Really makes me appreciate my placid girl who cleans her paws while I test her even more!

16. MauiGuppy

LOL! I'm no saint! Believe me. My friends have stories. :twisted:

I have to give credit to Sandy because Tessie Lou's passing was the turning point for me. When Junior gets particularly aggressive, thinking about what Sandy wrote has helped me stay calm.

I know you all would do the same thing if you had a kitty like Junior!

But if I am a saint, will someone please tell that to my mother? :lol:

17. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Great video! You are right about newbies needing to see both sides of the process, especially when they have fractious cats. I too thank my luck stars Tess is so mellow.

18. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

What a great video! It was a little scary to watch your fingers and I was worried for you!
    But your calmness is very impressive, I agree with everyone - you are amazing. Now what's your mother's phone number? :lol:

19. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Very nice job!!! It used to take 2 of us to poke Zoe.....one to hold and one to poke....now she comes running to her testing spot and purrs through it. ;-)

20. Jessie's mom

Jessie's mom Member

This is how my Jessie responds to testing also. I don't think it will ever get easier. Some times I feel like throwing my hands up in despair, but then I hug her and say we are doing our best and try again. Thanks for the video!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.