Vienna Sausage?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robbie Cochran, Sep 18, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robbie Cochran

Robbie Cochran New Member

Is it ok to feed Vienna Sausage to my diabetic cat as a treat?

2. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

Some vienna sausage contains sugar and garlic neither of which you would want to give to your kitty. Even some of the deli meats contain some sugar.

3. Robbie Cochran

Robbie Cochran New Member

I did look at the carbs on the can...I didn't even think to look at those types of ingredients. Thank you so much for this advice...I'm new at this-Sasha was diagnosed earlier this month. This forum has been a lifesaver

4. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

I used home cooked oven baked chicken with no spices (especially onions or garlic) or roast..same thing..as treats. Occasionally a little bit of human tuna packed in water. There are some freeze dried treats that are low carb but I can't find the posts that discuss them. You could change your title to something like "Need advice on suitable low carb treats" and I am sure you will get some more ideas. With FD kitties we have to analyze and over re-analyze everything ;)

5. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

I cook boneless, skinless chicken breasts using this simple method (except no salt or pepper). I cook a few breasts at a time then freeze all but one and keep that one in the refrigerator so I can grab it to pull off and shred a little whenever I need a treat. I also make chicken bone broth and freeze it in ice cube trays. I keep a Ziploc bag of them in the freezer so I can microwave one whenever I need it. I have also frozen the water from cans of tuna in ice cube trays to use the same way, but that I do/use very rarely; really, just if I am doing a full curve and want to throw in a couple of different testing treats so she does not lose interest.

Fancy Feast has treats called Purely that just have one ingredient, meat. They come in chicken, salmon and tuna.

6. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Purebites freeze dried chicken treats are king in our house! If you get them, get the dog ones...cheaper and same ingredient as cat chicken breast treats.

Cherish Gallagher likes this.
  7. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

I use the Orjen freeze dried treats. The dog ones as - cheaper...same ingredients.

8. vbc2000

vbc2000 Member

Why do they do that? Make "cat" treats more expensive?!? It's stupid because we just buy the dog ones instead!:banghead:

9. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

Don't know. Smaller packaging therefore more expensive? With four cats, Jones testing...the treats move pretty quickly around here.

10. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Sorry to jump in but @FurBabiesMama could you send me the recipe for the broth and how to make please? Sounds perfect for Tempest with her ckd.

11. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

Sure, @TempestsMum. I will post the information here in case anyone else is interested. Here are a couple of links about the benefits of bone broth that include recipes (the first has a video):
    http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2013/12/02/pet-bone-broth.aspx
    http://truthaboutpetfood.com/make-your-pet-a-healthy-broth/

I put chicken drumsticks in a stock pot and barely cover with water then add a couple of tablespoons of apple cider vinegar and let it set for maybe 30 minutes. At medium-high heat, I bring it to a low boil then turn the heat to low and simmer for about 24 hours. I have to add a little bit of water at a point or two during that time, but never more than just enough to keep the bones just barely covered (the first time I made it, I used too much water; you can tell you have done that if it does not turn to jelly later when cooled). Once it is done, I strain out the bones, meat and skin with a colander. then pour it through filter to make sure there not any tiny pieces left in it (I use a permanent coffee filter.) As it cools, I skim the fat of the top. Once it completely cools, it will turn into a jelly. You can keep some in the refrigerator for a few days and take scoops out of it to microwave and serve as desired. I freeze the majority of mine in ice cube trays so it will stay fresh longer (I usually do this before it cools to the point of being jelly though I have frozen it at that stage, too). I keep a Ziploc freezer bag with the cubes in it and can pop one in the microwave anytime I need some.

TempestsMum likes this.
  12. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

Thank you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.