Viggo's remission might be over

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Viggo's Mom, Dec 27, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Viggo's Mom

Viggo's Mom Member

Hi All. My boy Viggo has been in remission since August. A couple of days ago I got a 176 reading out of him (Alpha Trak) and yesterday a 206 and today a 210. All readings were taken about 3 hours after eating not very much. His legs are going again too. So I guess my question is can I /do I just start giving him insulin again? And does it immediatley turn into routine again? Ugh I'm so disappointed he has been doing so well. Would you do 1 unit or something else?

2. Rachel

Rachel Well-Known Member

Aw I'm so sorry to hear that Viggo seems to be coming off remission! I know that's disappointing. Yes, I'd start him on 1 unit and monitor him. Second remissions CAN happen, but they are a lot more likely if you jump on top if it quickly. It might be the routine for a bit...but with luck he just needs a little kick start!

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Djamila

Djamila Well-Known Member

Yes to everything Rachel said. And I would add that you might want to see if you can figure out what might have bumped him out of remission - have you changed food? Is he due for a dental cleaning? Does he seem to be having any other health issues (UTI?)? Could he be getting into anything (dog food? table scraps?) that might impact his BG? If you can find a source it can help with getting him back into remission.

Critter Mom likes this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Maybe check for mundane things like constipation. Perhaps ask the vet to check his joints to see whether there might be any inflammation/pain influencing BG levels. If he's prone to pancreatitis (can't tell - no history in signature line) it might be worth getting the vet to check him over and run a Spec fPL test.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.