Vines and Prayers needed for Tarragon & Melissa -- Update

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Ann & Maggie11 (GA), Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi everyone, I just logged on and had this message from Melissa. Melissa asked me to post for her. Tarragon really needs healing vines and prayers from everyone. This is so scary for for Melissa. She will update as soon as she can. Thanks everyone.

From Melissa:

2. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Re: Vines and Prayers needed for Tarragon & Melissa

Oh no. MANY vines coming to you, Melissa, and to Tarragon and your DH. I'm so sorry to read this. Hang in there! We are all thinking of you!

Thank you for posting this, Ann!
    Hugs
    Jane

3. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Dont worry Melissa, send get well vines to Tarragon!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Jill went through this with Alex. I believe they did a laser surgery and Alex is fine. It was well over a year ago. I'll see if I can get hold of Jill.

Needless to say, lots of vines coming your way.

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Many, many prayers and healing vines for dear Tarragon this morning. And hugs for Melissa. Be positive. All will be OK.

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

6. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((melissa & tarragon)))))

"IF" it is a ruptured anal sac...

alex did have a ruptured anal sac earlier this year. i've documented the experience on her ss beginning on 01/09/12 for reference. the vet cleaned her up and packed the wound with an antibiotic ointment and gave her some bupe. we were given metronidazole and clindamycin to be taken orally for approximately two weeks.

the vet also performed laser therapy (not laser surgery) for 4 - 5 consecutive days as well as one follow-up laser therapy treatment the following week. the laser therapy not only helps heal, but it'll take away any pain/discomfort. however, the vet told me i could give her bupe if she appeared to be the least bit uncomfortable. much to my surprise, she didn't appear to be uncomfortable nor in any pain... probably due to the laser therapy.

on the 5th day after the rupture we began "hydro therapy" at home for about 10 -12 days. it's just a fancy name for a butt wash. i'd put alex in the kitchen sink and ran a gentle spray of warm water over the wound for as long as she would let me.

i also gave her probiotics while she was on the antibiotics so she wouldn't experience diarrhea. play that one by ear. you want the stool firm, but not hard. we didn't want her straining to have a bowel movement.

she healed up quickly! :D

sending hugs...

7. Sonia & Tom (GA)

Sonia & Tom (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: Vines and Prayers needed for Tarragon & Melissa -- Updat

Loads of healing vines to Tarragon.

8. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Ann, thank you for letting is know what's going on with Tarragon and Melissa.

Melissa, I am sending all the healing vines and prayers I can muster, for Tarragon.
    Praying for easy definite diagnosis, and quick healing.

Sienne and Jill....thank you for always being here, when we need you.

Barb

9. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Melissa is so grateful for all the vines and prayers. You guys are the best. Here is an update.

10. tortie58

tortie58 Well-Known Member

Glad that it is nothing serious. I am sure Mr T will recover soon! Healing vines to his sore butt!

11. Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor

Jane & Jack & Karre the Emperor Well-Known Member

Thank goodness they found the cause and are busy working on ways to help Tarragon. Vines are continuing.

Thanks for updating us, Ann!

Hugs
    Jane

12. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Tons of healing vines to Mr. T and calm strength to Melissa, DH, Charlie and Mason. And Turnup too. Thank you for the updates, Ann.
    Liz

13. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

Poor Tarragon! Sending tons of vines for you all.

14. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Melissa - many prayers for you and Tarragon. Be well Mr T.

How scary for you. I am glad though that they have found the problem and that it is treatable. Wishing yiu guys the best.

Ann - thankyou for keeping us updated.

15. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and healing vines for Tarragon & Melissa.
    Everything in that area is so traumatic for a kitty. :sad:
    Please heal quickly, Tarragon.

16. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Sending tons and tons of healing vines, and positive thoughts for you both, Melissa. I wish for him to make a full and speedy recovery, and come back to being his normal Tarragon self that everyone knows and loves. :YMHUG:

17. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

oh man, how scary that must have been! I'm sure glad that they can take care of tarragon and getting him feeling 100% soon ..

18. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Oh no! Poor Melissa & Tarragon! That must have scared Melissa to death seeing all that blood! And poor Tarragon must be in so much pain! Poor baby! I'm so glad it's something so treatable! I guess being infected and becoming impacted caused it? How scary!

I'm so sorry you're going thru this Melissa. Hang in there! Lots & lots of healing vines being sent to Tarragon and strength vines to you!

Hugs,
    Melanie & Racci

19. Alexa and Reuben

Alexa and Reuben Well-Known Member

Mega :YMHUG: 's to you both!! ((Melissa and Tarragon)) -- so glad it is under control and so sorry for the scare!! And so glad for your excellent vet. :razz: Healing vines from us :mrgreen:

20. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

I just heard from Melissa and she says thanks again for all the vines and prayers for Tarragon.
    Melissa will post soon and update on Tarragon. He is home and doing okay, under the circumstances. He has a softie cone on and is not a Happy Camper with the cone.

Melissa, sending lots of healing vines and prayers for Tarragon's recovery. (((Hugs)))

21. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

Poor Tarragon Boy!! Melissa we are sending all our Strongest Prayers & Healing Vines & Snowflakes to our very Loved Tarragon!! Cant believe this happened so fast, but glad it has been identified & is being treated...I have heard of it.
    WE Support & Love you --Comforting Hugs from us--

22. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Thank you all for all the thoughts, vines, and well wishes. Tarragon has not been eating or pooing like his normal self since Saturday. He was still doing both but not quite up to par. He was also very grumpy which is really unusual since he is normally super sweet. DH and I were talking about it last night and I had planned on trying to get him into the vet today.

This morning we did everything as usual. He ate a little after his shot. I went back and brushed my teeth and picked up Tarragon to give one last hug before I left for tbp. When I kissed DH, he noticed I had a big red spot on my shirt. Since I had had blackberries for breakfast I thought I must have just dropped juice on myself. On my way to work, a light bulb came on about the stain since I should have seen it when I was brushing my teeth. DH called me as soon as I got to my desk and said there was blood everywhere and Tarragon was dripping blood from his bottom as he walked. He loaded him up and we met at the ER which is between my work and home.

Thankfully it is just ruptured anal sacs.(Did I really just say that?). We were bracing for the worst and that was the best case scenario. They gave him a shot of 72 hour bupe. Once that kicked in, they eere able to shave his rear and get a better look. It appears that they were both impacted and burst because of that. They cleaned them up, did a rectal, gave some sub-Q fluids just in case, and put him on Clavamox. I have to wet the area twice a day and he has to wear the cone of shame until we go back to our regular vet on Tuesday. As Ann mentioned, he is not pleased with the cone and keeps trying to lick, which proves he needs it on. They are having me put 1/4 tsp of miralmax in his food each day to help with the stool.

That is it in a nutshell. I am off work until Monday so I will be around to watch the little guy. He is sleeping now and has eaten and drank since we have been home.

Thank you all again. I couldn't have gotten through it without all of your support. Special hugs to Ann for being On so early when I was freaking out. We love you all!!!

23. Linda and Bear Man

Linda and Bear Man Well-Known Member

(((Tarragon)))

I am so sorry that he is going through this. It sounds like it has been handled well, and that he will be able to fully recover from this. I am sending lots of healing vines for a quick recovery.

24. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Poor little Tarragon! That's gotta be dang uncomfortable! Hope he heals up quickly! ** healing vines and hugs**

25. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

I bet he is so glad to be back home.
    So good that is wasn't something far more serious. I knew what you meant when you said, thankfully!
    Hope he heals really fast. More healing vines and prayers.

26. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

Oh Melissa, sending tons of healing vine for Mr. T! I am so glad that it was a readily treatable problem, the poor guy has been through so much lately. Hugs to you and all your family.

27. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

Oh my gosh, how scary! That must have been so painful for him. ((((Tarragon)))))
    I know you still have a way to go but it sounds like he is on the right path toward recovery.
    So very glad your DH was there to see Tarragon's symptoms and rush him to the ER.
    (((((Hugs to you both!)))))

28. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Tarragone DH & Melissa)))))
    Thank good ness it was so easily remedied....you guys must have been wrecks!! (thinking of all the things that it could have been...) Not to make light of this situation of course...but you have things under control now and thankfully it was not the worst case scenario!!! Whew!!
    How great it all turned out quickly as CD just said...glad you were able to get him right in to the ER...
    and I know you will be on top of things now for the healing process....
    Poor Tarragon..that cone is such a nuisance...they do hate that. I feel bad when they need that. Noises must be so amplified when they are wearing that.
    Be a good boy Tarragon....sending lots of scritches to you and a million snowflakes and healing vines....

29. snorton

snorton Member

Hope he gets better soon.

30. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

My heart just stopped when I saw the subject line. What a relief to know it is treatable, but sorry that Mr. T has to endure the dreaded party hat. I went searching for something to cheer you up, so Googled "catbutt". Looky what I found :cool:

Soon enough Tarragon will give you happy elevator butts again.

prayers!
    MJ

Attached Files:

31. MelanieAndRacci

MelanieAndRacci Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa,

I'm so glad poor Tarragon is home. They hate those Dunce hats, poor boy! What a relief that it turned out to be something minor. I would have freaked out seeing that blood. I know you & DH must have too. How scary! That bupe should keep him comfy for a while. I'm glad he's eating and using the lb. Maybe he'll take a long nap & forget about the dunce hat for a while. You take a rest when he does. I know you must be exhausted after all that stress!

Quick healing wishes to Tarragon & restful vibes to you.

Hugs,
    Melanie & Racci

32. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

33. Lisa & Leo

Lisa & Leo Well-Known Member

Lots and LOT of healing vines from our neck of the woods and feel better soon! We are thinking about you and have our paws together.

Lisa & Leo

34. max&emmasmommie

max&emmasmommie Well-Known Member

:YMHUG: So sorry for both of you and Tarragon to have to go through this.

35. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Sending heaps of healing vines and snowflakes from me and the black and white kitties here to Mr. Tarragon. What a scary way to start the day. I'm glad you got it so quickly and that you can be off work now with Mr. T. Sorry about the cone of shame for Tarragon but I'm sure he'll get extra cuddles because of it.

36. Teresa and Poopy

Teresa and Poopy Well-Known Member

Oh my word! What an ordeal! I have no doubt Tarragon and his beans are exhausted from the drama trama. I would have been scared to death. I know kitties have a way of demanding attention but, Tarragon ol boy, that's pushing it to an extreme! ;-) Thank goodness it's something treatable. Whew!

Healing and rest vines coming at you! :YMHUG:

37. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi again, Melissa,

We are relieved that the problem is easily treatable, even though Tarragon will hate being in that cone for a few days. But it's only a few days, T.! Lots and lots of healing vines. Melissa, you and your DH did a great job.

Check back with you later,

Hugs from us,

Ella & Rusty

38. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Poor Tarragon! So sorry y'all are going through this. Glad it was treatable and not as bad as you feared! I hope he heals quickly and without too much discomfort.

BIG HUGS and PRAYERS -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

39. Shai and The Pirate Fitz (GA)

Shai and The Pirate Fitz (GA) Member

(((((((Melissa & Tarragon))))))

Prayers are being sent your way for a quick recovery for your precious boy. And for you as you nurse him through this.

Shai

40. Leslie and Jasper

Leslie and Jasper Well-Known Member

Oh Melissa, So sorry to hear about Tarragon! Glad you guys caught it quickly and it was not something worse than anal glands. Its great that Tarragon is home and feeling well enough to fuss about the cone. Sending hugs and healing vines your way. Hope he has a smooth recovery uneventful and you all have a peaceful rest of the day.
    Leslie

41. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so glad Tarragon is going to be okay and it was nothing serious. One of my cats had one of her anal sacs burst. It scared me to death to come home and find blood on the floor. After she was treated by the vet, I had to give her antibiotics, wash her butt and put a cream on it for several days. She recovered just fine. I'm sure Tarragon will recover fine too. Poor kitty on the cone. I hate it when a cat has to wear one. I will be praying for a complete recovery. Take care of yourself too.

42. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending feel better real soon vines to Tarragon. I'm glad he's okay. :YMHUG:
    Hope he gets to rid himself of the cone of shame, soon.

43. tpr

tpr Well-Known Member

Sending BIG :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: to Tarragon! I'm so sorry that he is having bottom issues and I hope the antibiotics help him to heal quickly.

44. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Melissa and Mr. T))))
    I just logged on a little bit ago and saw Ann's post for you. Oh my goodness, I can't believe what you and DH and Tarragon have been through today. I am so glad that it was something that could be treated and so glad you monitored him so closely and brought him to the vet so quickly. Poor Mr. T having to wear the cone of shame.

Big hugs and prayers coming your way tonight.

45. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Melissa)))

OMG....I was so scared to open this condo tonight but I am so glad our little Tarragon is going to be ok with the TLC only you can give him. We are all sending all the healing vines we can muster for him and I hope
    the bupe will help control the pain and the A/B will help the infection.

keeping you in our thoughts by the minute. Hugs and love!

46. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

I've been away all day...what a huge scare!!! I was terrified to open this condo, but am so relieved to see all is under control! I went through something similar with my civvie, Zen, last winter...he had one anal gland that was abscessed and had ruptured. He healed up just fine, and I know Tarragon will, too! Zen was on bupe for 3-4 days, and metronidizol (I know I spelled that wrong!!) and another AB for almost 2 weeks. And, we did betadine washes once a day, too...did your vet suggest that? My vet also suggested warm compresses twice a day, but Zen was having none of that :roll: !

Many hugs and healing vines coming your way!!!

47. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

cat_pet_icon :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

48. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Tarragon is doing ok. He is getting used to the cone. It's the soft one so it isn't too bad. Turnup did attack him when she first say him. Her eyesight isn't too good and she has dimentia so I think the cone scared her. Tarragon didn't get hurt other than his feelings. I got out a can of tuna and they all split it so things are better there. They had told me he probably wouldn't poo for a few days but he had a healthy one tonight. One thing I hadn't accounted for with the cone is that I am now mo Ed down to "butt washer" as well. :lol:

The vet didn't say anything about betadine washes but that sounds like a good idea. Maybe I will pick some up tomorrow. We do the two warm compresses a day and Tarragon tolerates those really well. The Clavamox is a liquid. That was a challenge tonight. I do have him on metronidazole anyway for his IBD.

Thank you all for all the vines and thoughts. We really do appreciate it. T's BGs have been good since getting home. I guess he cleared the bounce from those low greens last night. I decreased his dose tonight.

AMPS 344
    +6 310
    PMPS 122
    +2 141
    +4 101

49. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Make sure that the clavamox doesn't have sugar in it. Many of the liquid meds are in a syrup base.

50. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Melissa - I am so glad to read that Mr T is home, and doing fairly well. I suspect he will respond well to the TLC he will get at home. Scary thing - ruptured anal glands. I fear this for my Elsa - she has been impacted in the past, and I have her at the vet every couple of months to have them expressed etc. Be good MR T! I hope the KTSS made you feel better. Hugs to all there.

51. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

I'm so very relieved to hear about the outcome. I pray for him to make a full and speedy recovery, Melissa. :YMHUG: to you both. I'm sorry to hear that you're delegated to being a butt washer, but (and not butt), it's for the love of the little guy. :D I would do it, too, and have been wiping one of the civvie's butt simple because he'll sit down before cleaning himself. It's a dirty job, but somebody has to do it. :lol:

How's he doing today?

52. Rocket & his Mom

Rocket & his Mom Well-Known Member

((((Melissa & Tarragon))))

how is he doing today? sorry you are dealing with this but as you said it is best case scenario and i'm glad it's nothing bad....yes i know...it is bad what he has....the ordeal he's been thru also....but i'm glad he will be OK after this....

give him lots of hugs from us....

53. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Oh goodness, Melissa! You, Tarragon and DH have been through so much in the past few days. Such a scary scenario, but with a good outcome that will only get better! Sending healing vines for Tarragon and giant hugs to you! Ok, sending Tarragon giant hugs, too!!! (and scritches!)

54. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Melissa (((((( hugs)))) I am just now seeing this so happy Tarragon is home sending lots of recovery vines

55. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

I'm just seeing this now, Melissa.....I am so glad to see that Tarragon is getting better as the days go by. I hope you guys are doing well today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.