vines needed for Do Lou (update)1/14

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Lisa and Do Lou (GA), Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Lisa and Do Lou (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi all I know I have been mostly absent of late but Do Lou is sick and needs prayers and healing vines I know how often the power of this board has helped. He had a episode a while back getting sick GI issues with cyclosporine for allergies and so we stopped per the vet and talked about trying again at a later date when he was doing well at half the dose every other day which we did and once again after being on the med for about a week it hits except this time much harder then before even though he was on a smaller dose it started on thursday and we are still one sick boy we are not eating on our own really a tiny bit of baby food and he has drank. I have started syringe feeding tonight and I am in touch with his vet every day. But his vet and I both know he is better at home unless things get much worse we may start sub q tomorrow I do not have any supplies for that here. He is on appy stim and nausea meds no vomting since thursday and stool was semi normal today but he is just so quiet and so not himself at least he is not meatloafing anymore but you can tell he just feels so bad and so of course i am so worried trying not to be a basket case but last time he rebounded much faster. :sad: :sad: :sad:

2. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

Re: vines needed for Do Lou

Lots and lots of prayers here for bootiful Sir WooWoo.

BIG HUGE HUG Lisa, prayers for you too.

3. Karrie and Maverick

Karrie and Maverick Well-Known Member

What nausea meds is he on?

I hope he is okay I know how worried you must be. Sending hugs.

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Sending tons of vines for Do Lou. Feel better DL!!

5. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA) Well-Known Member

(((((Lisa & Do Lou)))))

I am so sorry to hear of Do Lou's problems and am sending tons of healing vines, snowflakes, good thoughts, and prayers for his recovery.
    Yesterday Karrie wrote in Camille's condo that appetite stimulants should not be given in the case of nausea and can result in a longer recovery. http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86555#p928782 I hope that you can find the right combination of meds to get Do Lou over this.

Anyway, Hang in there and keep us posted. Feel better, Do Lou!

Lots of love and hugs,

Ella & Rusty

6. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Ann & Maggie11 (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, so sorry to hear about Do Lou. Sending healing vines and prayers for sweet Do Lou. Hugs for you, Lisa. Keep us posted.

7. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hi Ella I will look into that condo actually he had me give him prilosec tonight. pepcid or cerenia is usually what I use for tummy issues depending on what is going on with the cat I had to buy some prilosec.

8. Karrie and Maverick

Do you see signs of nausea? Not vomiting or stomach acid issues - which is what cerenia and pepcid is for. Nausea would be showing interest in food and smelling or licking and walking away, gagging at smell of food, lip licking/lip smacking, teeth grinding.

The sign that Maverick was nauseated was that he would race me to his food room - but he would just smell and walk away.

Ondansetron/zofran or dolasetron is the best medication for treating nausea. Frequently cats need to be on both Cerenia and Ondansetron.

After being on the feline assisted feeding group for four years I would not use an appetite stimulant unless it was last resort if my cat was able to be assist fed enough calories. I would do this until they felt well enough to eat on their own or until things were figured out. I know some people say they've used it and it works, but those people are just single examples. On FAF I see the impact from hundreds of cats helped each year and how impacting food aversion is. Appetite stimulants are often given at much too high a dose and have side effects.

If you can get enough food into him to maintain his weight with assist feeding, please keep trying this. MaxCal is 330 calories and low carb, but it is extremely high in fat content which isn't good for cats with pancreatitis issues/flares.

Hang in there.

9. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hi Karrie I just sent you a PM and yes he seems interested but then walks away

10. Ann & Tess GA

Ann & Tess GA Well-Known Member

sorry to hear that Do Lou is feeling crummy. The reaction to a med is often worse the second time around, they have become sensitized to it. I hope it is out of his system soon and you can find something else that works for his allergies. Sending lots of anti allergy vines to DL.

11. Dyana

Dyana Well-Known Member

Sending feel better vines to Do Lou.

12. Karrie and Maverick

Lisa - I hope you post an intro on FAF. Showing interest and walking away is classic for nausea in cats. When you join - let me know. I'll send you the link to their nausea file. It also has a link to a technical article to print and bring to your vet if you think they would push back on getting nausea meds. You have to be a member to read the file. Actually I'll send the link now and you can read it after you join. Post about what meds he is currently on. I am not sure if prilosec is in the nausea article under the stomach acid section. I'll have to look. This doesn't address overall nausea just excess stomach acid.

Sending more hugs.

13. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

Sending tons of vines to Do Lou. I'm so glad Karrie is helping you. She gave us excellent advice a year ago when Zener was having severe appy issues and he's doing great now. Big hugs to you, Lisa.
    Liz

14. Amy&TrixieCat

Amy&TrixieCat Well-Known Member

Sending many vines to sweet Do Lou!!

15. Complick8d

Complick8d Well-Known Member

Sending healing vines and good thoughts for Do Lou!!

16. Michelle and Mannie (GA)

Michelle and Mannie (GA) Well-Known Member

Many healing vines, feel better vines for Do Lou. We are gong through somthing similar here too with Mannie. I hope things are better for him soon.

17. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Healing vines for Do Lou and big hugs for you!!! ((((Lisa))))

18. Sherry & Zoe (GA)

Sherry & Zoe (GA) Well-Known Member

Healing thoughts and prayers for Do Lou. I hope he feels better soon.....and eating on his own.

19. Anne&Muffin (GA)

Anne&Muffin (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Lisa and Do Lou))) I'm so sorry to hear DL is feeling poorly. Sending tons and tons of vines to you both.

20. CD and BigMac

CD and BigMac Well-Known Member

I hope Do Lou feels better soon.

Nausea is frustrating to deal with in kitties. :sad:
    As Karrie said, I hope you can convince your vet to try the anti-nausea medicines instead of the appetite stimulants . When BigMac struggled with nausea after surgery I had a lot of difficulty getting the vets to give him Ondansetron. They kept saying he wasn't nauseated even though he had the classic signs including wanting to eat but could only take one lick before turning away.

(((Hugs to you and Do Lou)))

21. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

I am pretty lucky that since I worked there for 16 yrs my relationship is close and most of the time he will try meds for me even if its a med he does not use regular I have no idea about the nausea med I will have to ask him about it in the morning when I call him. Do Lou did just now eat on his own half a jar of baby food and he is more alert and groomed a little and ate 3 bites of dry kitten food and yes he has a ton of dry food laid out for him right now Bean does not care what he eats..

22. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

(((Lisa))). The best food for him right now is the one he will eat. Sending you many prayers and healing and eating vines for our DL!

23. Tena and Curry(GA)

Tena and Curry(GA) Well-Known Member

Sending lots of eating and healing vines for Do Lou. And calming ones for you Lisa.

Lots of hugs from us
    Tena, Curry(GA), Sidney and Zeke

24. Barbara and tuffy

Barbara and tuffy Well-Known Member

(((((LISA - DO LOU))) Sending vines, snowflakes, positive thoughts and prayers. Hang in the Do Lou. You can do this. Hope tomorrow brings a fantastic change for you and him. Continued eating vines, whatever he will eat.
    HUGS

25. Deborah & Shasta

Deborah & Shasta Well-Known Member

Lisa, Shasta and I are sending tons of healing vines, appy vines and many, many prayers! Feel better, Do Lou and Lisa! ((hugs)) and **scritches**

26. rhiannon and shadow (GA)

rhiannon and shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Many Many Many Many Prayers and Healing/Eating Vines for Do Lou...
    cat_pet_icon

27. paige

paige Well-Known Member

((((Lisa)))) ((((DouLou)))) sending blizzards and prayers your way.

28. MJ+Donovan

MJ+Donovan Well-Known Member

calming tummy vines and healing strength vines for Do Lou...

[​IMG]

29. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

jan and Hep and sara (GA) Well-Known Member

Sending healing and appy vines to Do Lou. I hope he feels better soon. Glad to hear he ate some on his own. (((Lisa))) (((Do Lou)))

30. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

well I was going to start a condo and then I thought maybe just keep things here for today his amps was 194. Syringe fed 9 ccs he got pretty darn annoyed we will try again in a lil while he was quiet all night but I was encouraged he ate a entire jar of baby food on his own at about 11pm last nite and kept it down but he still acts like he feels just terrible. This is his personal vets off day but I call him at his home at 10 and we will go from there on what we will do. Paws crossed that we are making baby steps in the right direction this is the sickest I have seen him and he is scaring me nailbite_smile keeps those prayers and vines coming love you guys :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

31. Michelle & Scrabble (GA)

Michelle & Scrabble (GA) Well-Known Member

Lisa so sorry to hear about DO LOU! Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers. healing vines and a blizzard of snowflakes being sent your way!!!!

32. Karrie and Maverick

Great update!!!! Do ask for the ondansetron - it would be great to have on hand also. The dosing is 1mg every 12 hours. The plumbs guide has a wide range and vets often prescribe 4mg every twelve hours. Its great if they can prescribe this b/c you can get more drugs this way but only give 1mg.

Off to visit my new nephew Charlie :) :) :)

Hang in there.

33. Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA)

Pat+Raja+Shadow (GA) Well-Known Member

Prayers and healing vines for Do Lou. So glad he ate last night Lisa....hope he will eat something today for you too. Hugs for you both.....will be thinking of yous. :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

34. Bruce & Simon

Bruce & Simon Well-Known Member

Best hopes & prayers coming your way, good that he was able to eat a bit.
    :YMHUG:

35. Georgia and Simon (GA)

Georgia and Simon (GA) Well-Known Member

Lisa, I am so sorry to hear about Do Lou but am also encouraged to hear he ate a little food on his own. I hope the vet can find the right meds that will get him back on the right track with his eating. Big, big hugs to you and Do Lou. It is so scary when our kids stop eating and can't tell us what is going on and why they feel bad.

36. Anne & Zener GA

Anne & Zener GA Well-Known Member

More vines for Do Lou. Great news that he ate the baby food. :D
    Liz

37. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Morning Lisa, great news that Do Lou is keeping the bb down. That''s great that you can reach the Vet, too. Sending many more healing vines and prayers for your baby.

38. knolet

knolet Well-Known Member

(((Lisa))) thoughts, prayers and healing vines for Do Lou.

39. TheBowHuntress

TheBowHuntress Well-Known Member

Prayers sent up to God for you, the vet, the staff and especially Do Lou<3

40. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Lots and lots of prayers being sent for Do Lou and you. It's wonderful to hear that he's eating a little. I pray the good news continues and gets better and better. mary and oliver

41. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

update talked to vet and he was happy to hear about Do Lou eating the jar of baby food last night wants to keep things the way they are right now using the meds we are on did not want to try zofran yet so I did not push the issue yet since I do have cerenia on hand so anyway I am to call later if he gets worse as of now he has not moved since the syringe feeding at 6 he has been asleep in his bed since so its wait and see today keep those vines coming....
    just tested him and gave him his heart,bp meds and prilosec dose and he was +4 207 so hoping that these lower numbers can help him to feel better since he has been so high these past days but of course afraid to shoot much insulin when they do not want to eat

42. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Good Morning Lisa & Do Lou,

Sending more healing vines this morning. I hope that Do Lou will be feeling better and better as the day progresses. It's great that he ate the baby food. Good luck with your vet consultation. I hope you'll be able to get the Ondansetron today so that you can start addressing the nausea issue.

Thinking of you,

:YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

Ella & Rusty

43. Deb & Spot

Deb & Spot Well-Known Member

Oh, poor Do Lou! I know how sick you must be about this, Lisa. I am sending a ton of healing vines to your baby. I hope he gets much better very quickly

44. Frosty

Frosty Well-Known Member

Lisa, I'm so sorry to hear that Do Lou is ill. Hopefully his eating the jar of baby food on his own is a sign he's on the road to recovery. We have you and Do Lou in our thoughts and Prayers.

45. Angela & Blackie & 3 Others

Angela & Blackie & 3 Others Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines, positive thoughts, and tons of prayers. Wishing for him to make a full and speedy recovery, and get back to doing what Do Lou does best... Being Do Lou. :YMHUG:

46. Amy & Papaya (GA)

Amy & Papaya (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Do Lou has a good rest today and is on his way to feeling better. It's good to hear he ate last night. Hang in there!

47. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

+7 136 this worries me since he is not eating sigh... off to syringe feed

48. Cini Mini's Mom

Cini Mini's Mom Well-Known Member

Awwww Lisa, so sorry to hear Do Lou is not doing well. Cini and I will sit together for a bit and send a prayer your way.

49. Tara & Buster

Tara & Buster Well-Known Member

Awww lil Do Lou please start feeling better little one! Sending a garden of healing vines and positive thoughts your way! :YMHUG:

50. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thank you Cini Mini I will tell Do Lou you were here I was able to get 10 ccs into him but getting him used to this syring feeding without stressing him badly is going pretty slow

51. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

((((Lisa)))) I'm sending prayers and healing vines for Do Lou. I hope he will eat better and feel good soon.

52. Karrie and Maverick

Did you read the article with the tips and tricks. Maybe finger feeding would work better or a baby spoon. Sometimes it's just priming the engine with a few mouth fulls and they'll eat more on their own.

53. Roni and Moonie

Roni and Moonie Well-Known Member

(((((LISA_DO LOU)))) I am so sorry Do Lou isnt feeling well--As you know I have been going through issues with food, eating, and all that with Moonie--It is so difficult to try & make them eat--I just cooked Moonie chicken which she loves & she eats some cat food--I am giving her FF kitten food as she needs the nutrition from that too..Moonie sits by her water bowl al lot & even falls asleep there..
    There are so many things when they get older, and it is so upsetting for us>>
    Sending Healing Prayers for our Dear Friend DO LOU to get better and eat--We love you DL and are sending the Strongest Healing Vines from your LL family!! Big Hugs & love from us!

54. Frip&Grip

Frip&Grip Member

((((Lisa)))) Sending lots of prayers, snowflakes, and healing vines for Do Lou. cat_pet_icon

55. Harley and Pattie

Harley and Pattie Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa, just seeing this now. Please feel better Do Lou. Sending prayers your way.

Pattie

56. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hi Roni yes I cannot even imagine what you have gone thru with first Sandy and then Moonie getting ill I know its tough when they are older have have multiple issues going on this is the longest stretch he has gone for me not eating so its a learning thing with me trying to get him to eat

57. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hi Karrie no i have not read all the material but read some of it last night was actually going over as I type had it open in another window may do the finger thing it might work better cannot hurt to try

58. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Fingers crossed for a good "finger feeding"!

Thanks for the link to Fromm Family foods, Lisa. I've never heard of this brand. I'll have to study the list of ingredients, but since it has fish, Rusty can't have it (allergic to fish). It could be that something in it spiked Do Lou's allergies.

check back with you later. More healing vines are on the way!

Hugs,

Ella & Rusty

59. PeterDevonMocha

PeterDevonMocha Well-Known Member

keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers .. feel better soon do lou ..

60. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

+8 95 have added some karo to his syringe feeding he is about the same as earlier no interest in food yet today

61. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry to hear Do Lou isn't feeling well. I wish I had some words of wisdom to offer.

Sending Prayers and Hugs your way -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

62. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

pmps 118 I am so tempted to skip due to his not eating I know he needs the insulin too though since when he goes high like he has been last 3 days that adds to the feeling bad although today has been good numbers but you would never know it to look at him :sad: :sad: :sad: I am so worried nailbite_smile

63. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

(((Lisa))) I just now saw that Do Lou is sick. My heart hurts for you, and your precious little boy.
    Sending tons of "eat, little one" vines, and prayers for him and you.
    Lisa, I know how scared you are, so please take time to care for yourself, so you're strong for Do Lou. :YMHUG:

64. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Hi Barb yes I am trying to take care of myself but am terrified he is back to meatloafing tonight has not acted like that since first night he got sick... I was so encouraged when he ate last night did get 20ccs in this last feeding I think the syringe feeding is going a wee bit better I know he does not like it but I think we are going to make it work as long as its needed

65. Barb & Checkers (GA)

Barb & Checkers (GA) Well-Known Member

Lisa, did he eat some food tonight? Please God.

66. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa -

Just dropped in and saw you're having a rough time. I'm sure Do Lou knows your helping, it's just so hard to eat when you feel bad. Sending (((hugs))) and prayers to both of you.

Lu-Ann

67. Melissa & Tarragon

Melissa & Tarragon Well-Known Member

Sending tons of healing vines and thinking of you Lisa. ((((Hugs))))

68. Camille and Cyclone

Camille and Cyclone Well-Known Member

Sending vines! I was very glad to see that Do Lou had started to eat a bit but sorry he's not feeling well again tonight. It can be such a rollercoaster and very draining. Fingers crossed for him to get better soon.

69. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

well I was chicken and only gave 1 u so guess its better then skipping but I just have no idea what he is going to do...

70. Marje and Gracie

You got some insulin into him so that's great, Lisa. Sending more healing and eating vines to Do Lou. And lots of LL miracle prayers.

71. macal

macal Member

Sending healing thoughts for little Do Lou and strength for Momma bean. Hope things turn around sson.

72. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

((( Lisa ))) Poor Do Lou, I hope he feels better soon.

73. Jill & Alex (GA)

Jill & Alex (GA) Senior Member Moderator

(((((Lisa and Do Lou)))))
    More healing vines being sent...
    Eat Do Lou. Eat and feel better.

74. Deborah & Shasta

Sending healing vines, prayers, cyber ((hugs)) and **scritches** and a few laughs (because sometimes, laughter is good medicine for us.)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Do Lou, this needs to be you...like, right now, please!

75. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

(((((lisa & do lou))))

hate to hear our sweet Do Lou isn't wanting to eat and isn't feeling good. sending the best healing wishes to our little friend - and lots of hugs to both of you. hoping he turns around. he's so lucky to have you, lisa. :YMHUG:

76. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Thank you everyone for visiting and sending vines

Deborah thank so much for those pictures made me smile this morning :mrgreen:

Update he woke me up2x in night this is the first time he has done this since being sick so a good sign only licked a few bites of baby food when he got me up at 2am
    Amps was 282 has eaten some dry meow mix :thumbup so far not a lot I am holding off on syringe feeding for a bit this morning to see if he comes around on his own but will not put it off real long but good to see him eat the dry so far it was not much but it was something. He is more purry and more alert so hoping (anti jinx) we are getting better will update more later and thanks again for all who have came and wished him well I know the power of LL is at work here cat_pet_icon :YMHUG: :YMHUG: :YMHUG:

77. Lisa & Leo

Lisa & Leo Well-Known Member

Hi Lisa - I am so sorry to hear that Do Lou isn't feeling well, and we are sending vines your way for both of you. No advice from me, just prayers. Thanks for visiting us yesterday - that was kind, given all you are going through to stop by. Have a much better day today. (((hugs)))

78. Ella & Rusty & Stu(GA)

Hi Lisa,

I hope that Do Lou will continue to show you those little improvements. Every step forward is good news! We are sending a new batch of healing vines. Since our snow is so diminished, we can actually see the ground again. Rusty knows where to find the very best vines!

Feel better and better, Do Lou!

Lots of hugs,

Ella & Rusty

79. ecurie

ecurie Well-Known Member

Lisa, I'm so very sorry that Do Lou is not feeling well and having trouble eating. I'm sending loads and loads of be better vines, and loads and loads of prayers to you both. take good care of yourselves and Do Lou, sweetie, be all better. mary and oliver

80. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

Glad to hear that Do Lou ate a jar of baby food on his own. That's very encouraging. Sending feel better vines to dear Do Lou. Thinking of you both. (((Lisa))) (((Do Lou)))

81. Lisa and Do Lou (GA)

Oh my poor vet he called in today so just now talked to him at home he thinks he has the flu. Was happy to hear that Do Lou ate some meow mix this morning and plus he had eaten some sc diet kitten off and on this afternoon not a lot but it was something :D :D he said he may have to call in tomorrow as well so unless Do Lou gets worse I am calling him on wed or thursday I can always talk to another vet my clinic has 13 but this is Do Lous personal vet and always has been so try to stick with him on all things which is how he wants it as well. pmps 314 I have stayed with the reduced 2.5u which is what I had done prior to my BCS dose last night I am afraid to raise his dose until he is eating better right now although he had acted so much better today in tiny ways like greeting my son and wanting to sleep next to me when watching tv. I will take these baby steps and hope he keeps moving in the right direction :cool:

82. jan and Hep and sara (GA)

I'm so glad that he was acting more himself today Lisa. I hope he continues to get better with each day. I'm really happy to hear he is eating a little on his own. That's huge.

83. Grayson & Lu

Grayson & Lu Well-Known Member

Even baby steps are steps in the right direction! Continuing to keep my eyes on you guys, and sending healing vines.

84. Ann & Maggie11 (GA)

Hi Lisa, that's positive steps with Do Lou eating, even if not much, it's something. So sorry his Vet has the flu. It's good you have the other Vets to consult. Sending more healing and appy vines.

85. Josie & Ripley (GA)

Josie & Ripley (GA) Well-Known Member

Eating a little, greeting your son, and sleeping next to you are good signs! I hope Do Lou continues to take many more baby steps towards feeling better.

((Dou Lou)) and ((Lisa))

86. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Good to hear DL has a bit more appy and feeling a bit more like his old self. We are sending lots of appy vines and a truckload of healing snowflakes - we got some fresh ones here today.

87. Deborah & Shasta

Goodness, I love hearing about the baby steps! Greetings and sleeping next to is the best! Ok, and eating and pooping and peeing are pretty awesome, too!!! You go, Do Lou!!!! Still sending happy, healing vines; appy prayers; and happy mama bean prayers!

88. Marje and Gracie

I hope he keeps moving in the right direction too...towards renewed health :D

89. Doug N Libby

Doug N Libby Well-Known Member

Baby steps in the right direction sound great!

Continued prayers -

Libby (& Hershey, too!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.