? Visiting from the Lantus forum, need advice for friend

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Sarah & Sammie, Jun 8, 2020.

1. Sarah & Sammie

Sarah & Sammie Member

My cat Sammie has been diagnosed since 2017 and I’ve had a lot of help over on the Lantus forum.
    I have a friend whose cat, Artimus, was diagnosed as diabetic a few weeks ago. He was started on 3 units of prozinc. I’m trying to offer guidance but I’m not sure how much the Lantus protocol differs from Prozinc.

At Artimus’s vet visit on 5/28 his glucose was 400 and the vet increased the dose to 4.5. (This seems like a dangerously fast dose increase IMO.)

He had a follow up visit today and his in office BGL was 57 at AM +2. This is after my friend skipped his shot last night because he wasn’t eating (he finally ate around midnight.) The vet wants to keep him at 4.5 units.

The vet is basing the dosing on in office spot checks and hasn’t done a curve. He did not suggest a low carb diet.

Based on what I know in terms of diabetes and Lantus, I am concerned about the dosage. I’m also uncomfortable with the fact that the vet is suggesting doses without any data.

I want to be able to provide my friend with accurate advice, and being that we are using different insulins I’m hoping that someone could offer insight.

2. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Tell your friend to join the message board, and start their own thread in the Feline Health forum.

If you look at the top of this forum, there are documents prefaced with the word "Sticky". Those are some good general information documents, compiled by many members. Have you friend start there and review what is in those documents.