vitamin b12?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by SaraBear, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraBear

SaraBear New Member

Hi,

My kitty was diagnosed w/ diabetes pretty recently. One of the things I noticed was that he seemed clumsy on his back feet. I pointed it out to my vet at our initial visit and he did not seem to make much of it, even after the official diabetes diagnosis. But after doing some more research I think Rod has some neuropathy. He walks fine but sometimes slips on his hind legs when jumping up or down from things. Should I start b12? is this kind ok? https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002VRG6E4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you.

2. FurBabiesMama

FurBabiesMama Well-Known Member

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yes start b12. Any excess gets peed out so it's safe to give. I second the zobaline recommendation. It's easy to give, just crush with your fingers into the food. I split it in half and give half a tablet morning and night.

4. Krystina & Nelli

Krystina & Nelli Well-Known Member

Thanks!
    Her neuropathy started before she was first put on insulin, June 21, 2018.
    It has gotten progressively worse... I Have not been able to get her insulin stabilized since the get-go. She constantly has been in 300 to low 400 range. I am going to double up on a curve, today and tomorrow in hopes that I might get some insight from others as to, how to get insulin dose in range! My heart bleeds for her with the neuropathy. She is alert, eats, and, drinks (not an abnormal amount). Biggest issue neuropathy has ended up causing is her inability to stand while in litter box. Therefore, I believe she is holding her bowels and bladder because of this.
    I will get and start the B 12 today. Thank you again for your words

5. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Why did you reduce her insulin this morning? If anything she could use an increase.

6. Veronica & Babu-chiri

Veronica & Babu-chiri Well-Known Member

The neurpathy is probably related to her having high numbers, unfortunatedly it can be one of the diabetes side effects, but it can get better, sometimes it almost totally disappears once she's regulated (or at least in lower numbers ) and with the b12 (zobaline if you can get it) but it takes a while so you will have to be patient

7. Arkali

Arkali Member

I think Gypsy has neuropathy too. I ordered some of the Zobaline, though it's not here yet. I know how heartbreaking it is. Hope the B12 helps your baby!

JanetNJ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.