VOMIT AND HILL'S W/D - DRY FOOD

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by terevera, Feb 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. terevera

terevera New Member

Good afternoon. Just joined the Forum. Believe is excellent.

I am very worried. My Ceasar was diagnosed 2 weeks ago with diabetes. Vet decided to put him on Hermelin R, every 12 hrs./ in the am and in the pm, after meals.

Ceasar will not touch wet food. Only tried once though... In the meantime I am stuck with him eating slowly and vomiting 30 minutes later.

I am scared!

Please help....

Terry

2. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,
    The vomiting may be from your insulin. Humulin R is not meant to manage feline diabetes. Can you give us a little more info about how much insulin he's getting, how long he's been diagnosed and if there have been any other insulins prescribed? I don't want to be terribly blunt, but I can not understand why you were prescribed this insulin, which is too powerful for day to day use. Is Caesar doing anything else unusual like stumbling, howling, acting "drunk", or anything else you can think of?

3. Melissa&Paul-Kyle

Melissa&Paul-Kyle Well-Known Member

Hi Terry,

Welcome to FDMB- so glad you found us and very glad you are here asking questions!

I am sorry you guys are having these problems and I do hope Ceasar can feel better very soon.

There are several things that can be going on here, but I think we need additional information to start out helping.

Can you please tell us how much Humulin R you are giving every 12 hours? Can you also look to make sure it is R or N on the Humulin bottle?

Can you please list any and all Blood glucose levels you have since diagnosis, including any taken at Vet's office or at home.

How old is Ceasar? Does he have any other health issues at this time or in the recent past?

Is Ceasar taking any other medications? What are they for? How much and how long has he been taking them?

Until you are able to answer our questions, please watch Ceasar very carefully and if it is possible, please get as many glucose levels checks as you can and list them here.

If you get anything under 60, please feed Ceasar. If he cannot keep it down or you get anything under 40, please offer some karo syrup, honey, sugar water or anything to rasie the glucose level and then call your vet immediately.

Keep us posted- we'll help in any way we can (((hugs))) to you and hang in there! ;-)

4. Susie and Moochie

Susie and Moochie Member

Humulin R as basal insulin

Hi Terry. I'm glad that you found us and agree wholeheartedly. You should NOT have been given Humulin R to use to control Caesar's diabetes.

Is Caesar still vomiting? Is he showing any of the other signs that Carolyn mentioned? Do you have an ER nearby that you can get him to if you need to?

5. Carolyn and Spot

When you get a minute..

Can you list your general area in case we have a user near you? Don't be specific, just general location, such as city or province.

6. Nina and KB

Nina and KB Well-Known Member

I see others are working with you on the insulin questions...

Alot of cats don't care for the prescription foods. Is he vomiting his normal food, or food he was recently switched over to? If you've switched his food all at once, I would suggest offering him something you know he likes and will eat, you don't want an upset tummy on top of everything else. It's important that he eat.

Is your vet aware?

7. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

BUMP

BUMP

Please update when u can, u have a quite a few people here waiting for an update and worried about u and Caesar.

8. Carolyn and Spot

Bump - thinking about you and Ceasar, Terry

Please let us know how you're doing (((hugs)))

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.