Vomit Comet

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Libby T, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Libby T

Libby T New Member

Help! Ever since switching diets, Pete hasn't gone more than 4 days without throwing up. Is this normal? Suggestions for a reason behind this? Please read the background info-
    Pete was only on insulin for 1.5 weeks (end of June 2019). We did the diet change and now he is diet controlled (tested weekly). We transitioned him to exclusive wet food- FF chicken and occasional FF seafood or friskies chicken. At the end of July we had an issue with constipation but it resolved itself. A month ago he went back to the vet because he was licking his belly bald. We ran bloodwork again but nothing abnormal and vet was quite pleased with BG. We got him back on flea prevention but he continues to lick tables/walls/plastic. He has always done this minimally, maybe once a month he'd do it. So vet said it might be behavioral. I started giving rescue remedy drops and they're a huge help for that, so licking things is not the reason he is throwing up like I guessed. But we're still dealing with the random vomiting. Sometimes just bile, sometimes food. My husband thinks his quality of life is getting too low if he is throwing up all the time. I disagree but also want to help him feel better or figure out if there is an underlying problem.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  2. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Hi Libby, no throwing up every few days is not normal. I don’t know what the problem may be, maybe IBD, excess stomach acid, food allergy? I think you can get more answers by posting in the Main Health Forum.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  3. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Libby, just checking in with you because your "Vomit Comet" title caught my eye, but I noticed you'd never posted over in Health about it. I did also read your July posting about Pete's GI Upset. We've had ongoing struggles with our oldest civvie (18 years old, Miss Sugar, adopted 20 months ago) with the most profuse vomiting I'd ever seen in 35 years of owning a total of 13 cats, so I know how distressing it can be, but (knock on wood), we seem to have gotten it under control now and I didn't know if anything that we've tried might help you. You can actually check it out in my long post from last month over in http://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/what-is-your-experience-with-cerenia.218093/#post-2424161

I'm a little worried and would love to know how Pete is doing, but I am also hoping that "No News Is Good News". I see that his sugars are still good as of 9/13, and if you still want to discuss GI/vomiting we can certainly open a new post in Health.

Best,
    Sandi.

Jennifer R. likes this.
  4. Libby T

Libby T New Member

Hey, thanks for checking in! We eliminated the Dr. Elsey's food that we were previously leaving out while we were at work. He went 14 days without throwing up after that. But then threw up some water right after drinking a ton. So we're back at "2" on our "number of days since vomit" chart :( And this morning he seemed constipated (scooting after straining in the litter box.) I'm going to try adding a little miralax with his morning can of FF. I will definitely check out your post to see what other suggestions you have. I feel like we're heading in the right direction but still need a bit of tweaking.

5. Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA)

Sandi&Maxine&Whispy(GA) Well-Known Member

Hi!

I think you are exactly where we were two months ago. We had gone a long stretch and then we had one and thought we were starting back at square one, but then we added the ondansetron and other than hairballs coming up, we've been good, knock on wood.

Relatively speaking, I think you are making progress. :bighug:

Best of luck and if there's anything that I can do to help just let me know!

Sandi (&Sugar)