VOMITING 2/29/16 Smokey-AMPS 360; +7.75=84; PMPS 131; +2.5=51; +3.5=39; +4=44; +4.5=51; +5=55; +6=61

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Olive & Paula, Feb 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olive & Paula

Olive & Paula Well-Known Member

I guess his bounce continues. I thought maybe with the 202 last night it was, but in the back of my mind I knew that was to soon. He will wait until the day I work of course.

2. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

hope smokey slides down soon:bighug::bighug:

3. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

I hope Smokey heads down today.

4. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

Fake calendars. It's the only way. He has to think you are working so you can sneak-stay home at the critical times.

5. granadilla

granadilla Well-Known Member

Smokester has his own pattern... He'll come down in due time. Obviously on a work day. :):nailbiting:

6. Mandarin'sMom

Mandarin'sMom Well-Known Member

On a work day or at 2am... or, even better, at 2am on a night before a long day at work. Cats, they just have the best sense of timing. :rolleyes:

Sparkle, granadilla and Olive & Paula like this.
  7. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

I like Lydia's idea. Fake him out!

Sparkle and granadilla like this.
  8. Olive & Paula

Funny I was just thinking on my way home today, to tell him my work day changed. Great minds think alike.

9. Olive & Paula

He usually does the night before a work day. If he changes his mind it's a work day.

10. Olive & Paula

I even took my calendar down so he couldn't see it. I use my phone calendar now. But he has been known to borrow it and text his buddies here to plan surprises on us beans.

Sparkle likes this.
  11. Olive & Paula

I say the bounce is broke:D:D:D. Does everyone agree?????

granadilla and Doodles & Karen like this.
  12. Andy & Pimp

Andy & Pimp Well-Known Member

Well would you look at that!

13. Doodles & Karen

Doodles & Karen Well-Known Member

I'd say so :) Looking good Smokey now surf it buddy!

14. Olive & Paula

Phewee he just did his stinkiest ever.:eek:

15. Gill & George

Nice slide into greens for Smokey:D:D:D

16. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

HOLY COW!!!! Glad you shared your calendar with Smokey. ;)

17. Olive & Paula

3rd set of greens in 3 days. New record for us. Not predictable anymore. After AMPS I figured he was still bouncing. Hope he settles on this dose and we can get the bounces stopped.

18. Gill & George

Great Progress for Smokey!!

Hope his body is just liking those greens so much that he will soon stop bouncing:D:D:D

19. Olive & Paula

From your lips to his ears or should I say pancreas! !!

20. Gill & George

Noooo Smokey don't let the boys new tricks scare you off!! Why don't you at least hang at the shore??

Or maybe as you are a contrary kitty I should try the reverse kittyology and tell you to go ahead and bounce on that trampoline??

Think we are going to have to figure out a Smokey code when we comment, he is just tooo good at reading his condo and messing with us.:blackeye::blackeye:

21. Olive & Paula

Hopefully we will be shooting a low number for PM. Paws crossed we are.

22. granadilla

Great news that he paddled a bit in the lagoon and is now wearing his blue flip flops!!

23. Mocha aka Cold Play

Mocha aka Cold Play Well-Known Member

The greens are beautiful on him. Stick around a little longer next time.

24. Olive & Paula

Gave his shot. He didn't eat most of his food. We went out for 1.5 hrs. His food was still untouched when we got back. Gave him a different flavor, he ate it and threw it up within 10 minutes.:(:(. He is okay otherwise.

25. Olive & Paula

Did he throw up because he's to low? Is this dose to high for him? Advice please

26. Olive & Paula

+3.5. syrup with food

27. julie & punkin (ga)

julie & punkin (ga) Well-Known Member

did you give him a lot of karo or gravy? too much of those can make a cat vomit.

28. julie & punkin (ga)

what's his BG at right now?

29. Olive & Paula

He vomited before I tested him.

30. Olive & Paula

39. Just gave more syrup few drops and smidge of HC. I had to reboot, tablet froze.

31. julie & punkin (ga)

Can you test him now and see where he is? I'd want to go easy on the karo if he's vomiting. Just a few drops ought to pull him up.

Poor guy. You doing ok, Paula?

32. julie & punkin (ga)

ok, just saw your last post. You're on the right track. I'd retest in 20 minutes. Takes a few minutes to get into his bloodstream.

33. Olive & Paula

Let me test. I'm ok. The vomiting worries me and walking away from his PM meal. I know what to do but so far the syrup hasn't worked and he still drops.

34. julie & punkin (ga)

Are you familiar with the signs of pancreatitis? It can cause lack of appetite and vomiting. I'll grab the info for you.

35. julie & punkin (ga)

Primer on Pancreatitis

glad you're doing ok. It can be very scary when your kitty is vomiting and you don't know why.

36. Olive & Paula

Been thinking that. Since he's vomited a few times over the last couple of days. Vet wasn't in today. And other than that he's been fine.

37. julie & punkin (ga)

Pancreatitis is common in diabetic cats - they can have acute episodes and become suddenly dramatically sick, or it can be chronic pancreatitis, the slow-simmering kind.

Punkin had one more acute-type episode and then chronic p-titis.

38. Olive & Paula

+4=44 gravy with smidge of the food. He's never had it before so that would be new for us if he does. I doubt my vet can test for it. Tomorrow I'll call Er and see if they do. Few years ago they only did ultrasound on Tuesday and Thursdays when the internist was on.

39. julie & punkin (ga)

good that he's making his way up. I hope he can tolerate that without vomiting again.

Can you edit your subject line to get rid of old info? the newest info is the most important.

40. Olive & Paula

Ok

41. Olive & Paula

Do you think this dose might be to much for him? Since he was 39, I know it's borderline but is that a decrease? He was doing pretty good on it last couple of days. Greens but not enough. I don't think he will hold a reduction either. This is a tough one.

42. julie & punkin (ga)

With a number in the 30's, it's pretty clear that he needs the full 0.25u reduction. If he doesn't hold the reduction you can always take the dose back up, but this is pretty low.

Also, the dose that didn't work before may work now. I would try 2.25u.

I doubt that the vomiting is related to the dose, however. I'd guess there is something else, like possibly pancreatitis, going on that's making him vomit.

43. julie & punkin (ga)

glad to see he's up over 50 now. *whew*

44. Olive & Paula

Thanks so much Julie. I think we'll be okay. The vomiting unnerved me. When I got him he vomited all the time, but it was because it was gastroparesis, and literally starving. Had it under control for the last year with the 3 hr feedings.

He is 51 now. Gave him 1/2 of the meal he should have had at +3. I'll be up awhile yet with him. His feeder is set to open in another hour. I will see if I can get him seen by someone tomorrow.

45. Olive & Paula

One more thing. Someone mentioned on another post if they go below 90 three times a reduction is earned. Isn't it under 50 three times?

46. Olive & Paula

The brow was sweating for awhile. I was dressed in case we had to go to ER.

47. Olive & Paula

Yes I think I will reduce in the morning, not even try shooting through the bounce.

48. Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA

Lydia--(Rosie & Basil) GA Well-Known Member

I'd say Smokey is the one playing the head games right now and we beans thought we could trick him! I hope he feels better soon and the vomiting goes away.

49. Sandy and Black Kitty

Sandy and Black Kitty Well-Known Member

You have had quite the evening here - Good catch and great job getting him to safety.

I couldn't help but notice how the BG ranges match up with the +hours:

+3.5=39
    +4=44
    +5=55
    +6=61

Very glad he didn't match up BG with the +2 test.

Well done.
    Now, it's time for chocolate, an adult beverage, or both.:cool:

50. Sparkle

Sparkle Member

SMOKEY! You win the game... WTG messing with your bean... I couldn't think of anything to do to Mom today except hang out at the pool and lounge and then get super cranky when she thought I should eat something. Now it is someone else's turn to win, Smokey and let your bean enjoy her stress busters. You did so good!

Olive & Paula and jayla-n-Drevon like this.
  51. Gill & George

Paula just seeing this now, so glad he came up for you, I won't try that reverse kitology on Smokey again!

Congrats on the reducie, George and I will keep our paws crossed he holds it.

Just a thought on the vomit, maybe as he didn't eat his timed meal and he ate later than usual that was the cause of the problem? I know you have always said about that being an issue for him.

Anyways, hope the vetty visit goes ok, vines for that:bighug::bighug::bighug:

52. granadilla

Yikes, just getting caught up. So sorry it was such a rough night. Good luck at the vet today.

53. Olive & Paula

Vomiting has been an issue with him, but it's increased. At PM I shot while he was eating which I always do. But he stopped eating yet I already gave insulin. When we got home his food was still untouched. Gave a little fresh food and he vomited back 3x more. Even after broth and gravy he continued to drop.

54. Gill & George

Poor little Smokey, I am so glad he came up for you, you are probably going to have to restock the chocolate cupboard after that performance!

Sparkle likes this.
  55. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Squeaky and KT (GA) Well-Known Member

I didn't see this answered (may have missed it). It's 3 times under 90 if following SLGS, 3 times under 50 for long-term diabetics using TR approach.

CORRECTION POSTED BELOW!

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  56. Olive & Paula

Thanks for the answer. Either way Smokey has earned it now.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
  57. Olive & Paula

Actually added to it before last night. We bought home brownie bites from our get together.

58. Squeaky and KT (GA)

Oh yeah he earned it both ways....I just wanted to be sure the question was answered. :)

HUGS

59. Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey

Tricia Cinco(GA) & Harvey Well-Known Member

Wow, scary time yesterday. How is he today?

I was all set to answer that question, too, when Lyresa's post popped up.

Congrats on the reducie, but next time, Smokey, let's be less dramatic about it, okay?

60. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I don't believe this is correct. The "3 times below...." applies only to the TR Protocol. I'm tagging @Jill & Alex (GA) who is the "go to" person for the nuances of the SLGS approach.

61. Olive & Paula

I have a printed copy of SLGS now thanks.

62. Squeaky and KT (GA)

I found myself guilty of 'parroting' wrong information above so want to correct it. I know this is an older condo but if someone comes along later and reads it, I want this here too.

TR:
    Long term diabetics - more than one year since diagnosis
    • reduction *earned* after a single drop below 40 mg/dL for those following TR, or
    • reduction *earned* after three drops between 40 - 50 mg/dL on three separate days for for kitties who have shown they do not hold reductions well and following TR, or
    • reduction *earned* when the cat regularly has its lowest BGs in the normal range of a healthy cat (50 - 80 mg/dL) and stays under 100 mg/dl overall for at least one week and following TR.
    • reduction *earned* after a single drop below 90 mg/dL for those following SLGS.
    We highly suggest taking a reduction any time any kitty drops into the 30s or below. There are very few exceptions given for caregivers following TR who have collected years of data and KNOW their cat's response to the combination of insulin and food backwards, forwards, and inside out.

SLGS
    Once under 90 calls for reduction.

63. Olive & Paula

Lyresa, thanks. Someone was able to send me pdf documents of the protocols so I could print. Lately Smokey has been cliff diving and earned reduction regardless to either one.

Squeaky and KT (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.